• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos What drugs are given for benzo withdrawal?

thesoundofmotion

Bluelighter
I'm on klonopin 4mg for the last few years.

Anyways things are not going so well and I'm thinking about going to a detox although I know it is not recommended.

Anyways I am curious to what "comfort" drugs these places claim to give you while they essentially cold turkey you off this shit?

it would be easier for you to go to your doctor and be honest. Hell give you valium or something of the like to taper off, but seeing as you could have seizures from WD he cant deny you his care.

"but seeing as you could have seizures from WD he cant deny you his care. "

Sadly, this is not true. A doctor actually doesn't HAVE to do anything...morally and ethically, of course they should, for safety reasons....but docs have cut pts off od their meds with no warning...happens all the time, especially if they have a suspicion that meds are being abused or diverted.

OP, the safest way to detox off a benzo is by utilizing a very closely monitored, very SLOW taper, guided by a professional who is very knowledgeable about benzos, benzo w/ds, etc. I would highly recommemd looking into a PMM (psychiatric medication manager) to oversee your taper and monitor your progress, and be alert for any problems that may arise.

Best of luck.

The only problem is I've been saying I am going to ween for about two years now and I haven't made any good attempt.

I've also been using opiates and my doctor does not know about this. I'm also running short on script.

This is like my fourth doctor in the last four-five years to give me klonopin. I started out at 1mg and now I take 4mg daily. I've been at this dose for about 1.5 years now.

I'm just really not sure what to do at this point. My parents are stressing that I go to detox. Other people are telling me other things.

I just feel like shit. I'm emotionally and physically drained from this shit.

please let your doctor know you're serious about tapering off this time and he will be there to help assist you.

the safest way to detox off a benzo is by utilizing a very closely monitored, very SLOW taper, guided by a professional who is very knowledgeable about benzos, benzo w/ds, etc. I would highly recommemd looking into a PMM (psychiatric medication manager) to oversee your taper and monitor your progress, and be alert for any problems that may arise.

this is solid information as well.

The Ashton Manual - Benzodiazepines: How They Work and How to Withdrawal

I was on 3mg clonazepam a day, now have been switched to 50mg of valium a day for a week, 40mg week for this week and 35mg next week and so on.

It works, I don't feel sick at all and Valium makes me so very tired compared to clonazepam, that's the only drawback so far, I sleep ungodly amounts of time. Thankfully i'm considered temporarily disabled and receive some more money and no need to work during this...

I've been on 3mg a day for the better part of a year now and I'm going to try to taper off pretty soon too. To the OP, I feel emotionally and physically drained from it too.

My only concern is that when you're finally off of benzos completely, do panic attacks and bouts of bad anxiety return like before you ever started on them, or even worse? In that case it seems like you'd have to go back on them again and it'd be like a never-ending cycle.

to answer the original question: the best thing I know for a fact that they will give you at a medical detox is Phenobarbitol just Like with alcoholics. they will probably also give you the standard weaker comfort drugs too ie triazadone or ambien (if your lucky, I got it at the rehab I went to while in detox) for sleeping etc.. but phenobarbital will be what helps the most tho they only give you it for a certain length of time depending where you go.

wooooo! 50th post!

You should switch from klonopin to valium. I know how it feels to just want to quit that shit, but this is the best way and it's pain free. It really works.

Forget about all the other bull shit.

I dont get it, I must have a very different physiology than most others. I was scripted 6mg of klonopin a day for over a year, was also buying klonopin off the street and xanax off the street when I couldnt get klonopin, when I stopped going to the doctor that prescribed that dosage, and cut out my street bought ones, I went from taking about 18mg a day of klonopin to taking 2mg a day without a problem other than heightened (but manageable) anxiety. I stayed at that dose for 2 weeks, went down to 1mg a day for 1 week, .5mg a day for 1 week, then off.

Never experienced withdrawal from it.

Yea, im like you HebrewHammer.....I can take somewhat large doses of benzos for long periods of time with virtually no serious withdrawal side effects to deal with. Allthough, I have never taken 18mg's/day of klonopin, thats an ungodly amount....i cant imagine what benefit that can have other than to knock you out......but I have taken up to about 6mg's/day for long periods of time and was able to stop taking the meds cold turkey without experiencing any sort of withdrawals.....except in rare occasions i might have a little trouble getting to sleep for a day or two. In fact, I didnt know that people actually had any withdrawals from benzos until I researched itmany years ago and found out that benzo withdrawals is one of the most dangerous and paiful withdrawals of all. I was suprised to say the least, because like I said, I had never experienced any issues with going cold turkey off of high dose benzos.

Allthough, if I remember correctly, only about 5% of people who are on moderate to high dose benzo maintanence experience serious side effects(seizures) when going cold turkey off of there meds. Its a serious side effect but apparently it doesnt occur very often, and it seems to be very easily avoided by a simple taper plan. Im guessing its only talked about so often because of the possibility of death from a seizure......but it still is a very uncommon occurence( unless you are talking about people who buy there benzos off the streets and take them in massive doses that arent supervised by a physician.....and in that case, going cold turkey is extremely dangerous).

most people are suggested to use Diazepam (Valium) to wean off of their benzo of choice. Check with your doctor my friend.

i think they would wein you off with k-pins lower amounts each time or valium if your really addicited and in risk of dieing from withdrawls most likely the amounts you are one wont but could i have no personal experience. benzo are truely bad drugs imo, but being a human with anxiety 1mg of xannax does meeeeee wonders for panic attacks :) good medicine that can turn so wrong.

i'm going through something similar right now, and some of what others have said here is very true. even though i was labeled as abusing my klonopin, when i came into the behavioral health center i had been taking 2mg daily of clonozepam. when i left against medical advice, the psyc decided to be a bitchwad and prescribe me TWO .5 pills (as in TOTAL amount, not daily). I think this was her punishment for me refusing to stay in that basement hell voluntary unit.

thankfully, i had a friend with some and i've gotten myself down to about .5 per day now. when i have half the amount of pills i have now, i plan to start taking .25 a day until they're gone.

not the tapering off one of my doctors had originally recommended, but don't have much choice at this point since most likely no doctor with a copy of my medical history will prescribe me benzos at this point.

if i were a fucking doctor, i would recommend benzos as a last resort. i don't feel like that shit has ever done much of anything for me, but i know one bad weekend of going through cold turkey withdrawls was enough to know that little pill can cause a lot of hell.

sigh. i wish i had been prescribed weed and kava instead.......

Last edited:
but seriously, taper off correctly. just tell your parents you need to be tapered off, because withdrawl effects are really scary.

my friend went off her kpins and had seizures.

Yea, im like you HebrewHammer.....I can take somewhat large doses of benzos for long periods of time with virtually no serious withdrawal side effects to deal with. Allthough, I have never taken 18mg's/day of klonopin, thats an ungodly amount....i cant imagine what benefit that can have other than to knock you out......but I have taken up to about 6mg's/day for long periods of time and was able to stop taking the meds cold turkey without experiencing any sort of withdrawals.....except in rare occasions i might have a little trouble getting to sleep for a day or two. In fact, I didnt know that people actually had any withdrawals from benzos until I researched itmany years ago and found out that benzo withdrawals is one of the most dangerous and paiful withdrawals of all. I was suprised to say the least, because like I said, I had never experienced any issues with going cold turkey off of high dose benzos.

Allthough, if I remember correctly, only about 5% of people who are on moderate to high dose benzo maintanence experience serious side effects(seizures) when going cold turkey off of there meds. Its a serious side effect but apparently it doesnt occur very often, and it seems to be very easily avoided by a simple taper plan. Im guessing its only talked about so often because of the possibility of death from a seizure......but it still is a very uncommon occurence( unless you are talking about people who buy there benzos off the streets and take them in massive doses that arent supervised by a physician.....and in that case, going cold turkey is extremely dangerous).

I'd say even from reading
the literature put out by the manufacturers
that more than 5% of people taking
moderate to high doses
of benzo's suffer (serious) withdrawal.

Check line 230 here..

Also see 382 for symptoms of withdrawal
present in short term use discontinuation
(studies carried out by them;
the manufacturers)

You are lucky!

it goes, it goes, mate. trying to get my valium intake under control a little more at the moment. other than that everything is well:)

how are you coming along with your alpro situation, mate?

I'm on klonopin 4mg for the last few years.

Anyways things are not going so well and I'm thinking about going to a detox although I know it is not recommended.

Anyways I am curious to what "comfort" drugs these places claim to give you while they essentially cold turkey you off this shit?

You might want to just go to a different doctor and explain your situation. He should prescribe you to an anti-seizure medicine, like Dilantin. I speak form experience when I say that the single biggest danger from quitting a long-term benzo habbit cold-turkey is having seizures. I had two in one night at the worst time possible - in front of my girlfriend the first time and she and her mother the second time.

I'm lucky that I don't have permanent brain damage or a bunch of chipped teeth, or permanent eye damage (like when one eye points in the wrong direction, not sure what that's medically called, most people I know call it "googely eyes"...no fun for you). Please take this advice into consideration.

A detox center may be your best bet, though. They should give you very low doses of valium and slowly taper you down, so you don't have seizures and w/d symptoms. Only thing is, detox centers require beaucoups $$$ from what I've heard. The method I mentioned before will be much more fiscally sound.