What does expunged really mean?

liquify

Greenlighter
So I got arrested with heroin in September 2008 and was charged with possession of a controlled substance. I got what they call 410 probation, which means in two years if I don't fuck up then it will be expunged. I've heard getting something expunged doesn't really completely get it off your record. People can still see it when they look at your record. Is this true? Can employers in the future see I have a possession charge? Or is it just cops that can see it?

if it's expunged, employers can't see it.

i had my stuff expunged when i was on diversion before, and i got pulled over, cops ran my name thru the system 2 times and couldn't find me. basically your record are sealed, but the fed's can have access to them if they want.

^ fact.

i had a felony drug charge from when i was 17 and was told when i turn 18 it gets expunged. nowadays, any old person or employer doesn't have access to that information, but should i try to get a governmental job... i THINK (could be wrong) they would have access to it. i'm thinking along the lines of homeland security type jobs that i wouldn't want anyways.

A criminal record almost never disappears completely. Some government official or government database will keep a record of every conviction. The more important issue is one of access -- who is able to see the "expunged" or "sealed" record? It is usually only a select few. Among other reasons, these records are kept because some states attach conditions to the expungement process, as in you only get one expungement every seven years.

But with more courts putting arrest records, dockets, and convictions online for even a brief period, it is becoming more likely that private databases will collect this information, even if a criminal record has "disappeared" in the eyes of the law.

Expunged means that you can legally say that you have not been convicted of a criminal offense. However, you are usually required to jump through a number of legal hoops inorder to actually have your criminal record expunged. For example, you may be required to subjected to intensive probation for a period of time. This usually requires that you initially report to a probation officer for a specified period of time. Then you are reduced to maybe calling in to your prob. Off. Every month by phone. You will be subjected to random drug screens if your underlying offense dealt with alcohol or drugs.

From a practical standpoint I have seen many court records in which your expunged charges have a thin line drawn through the court file.

Lastly, many people make the mistake of not setting a court date after your period of time has expired. In most cases you need to appear before a judge in the court that you entered into the expungement and declare under oath that you have not incurred any additional charges during the court mandated period of time. And, all court costs must be paid before you can be expunged.

Any government linked job can see right through expungements as well as many others. Its practically worthless.

So when you go from 17-18 its only "expunged"? So I have a minor possession thing, I didnt get arrested nor fined but they took my weed and got my information and gave me the drug talk. Does that go on a record? Or will it be 'expunged' and I'll never be able to get an authorityish job like a government one?

OH, OH... WHAT IF DRUGS BECOME LEGAL? will all records become clean?

Being a minor is a completely different process.

Once you are no longer under the control of juv court, you can file a motion for the records destroyed or sealed. Unsealing a juv court record is not east to do.

Seriously, I highly recomend going the court clerks office and ask them for assistance.

When can I get this done? When I turn 18 I can request they destroy my juvenile files?

drugs wont be legalized.

if they didn't charge you and convict you of anything and they just took your stuff and talked to you then you don't have a record and don't need to worry about anything.