• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What do you think is a possible future for the world's population?

Nixiam

Bluelighter
I'd like to hear some speculation on what you guys feel is likely to occur in our lifetimes (in a worldwide political sense). Stuff like nuclear war and other ultimatums would be entertaining to discuss I believe. What do you think should be established to help turn some hings around? Maybe worldwide philosophies, campaigns, etc. Just what you think will lead to another and how it might end.

MY OPINION
I know a lot of people say that nuclear war will be the end of us, but I think our government (American) and all of its surveillance would be able to neutralize something before it started to grow, more or less. Not that I trust our government entirely, but ai'm not huge on irrational conspiracy theories either. I don't think any gov is stupid enough start a WW3, especially considering the W.O.M.D. some of these power house countries have at their disposal.

Nobody is trying to ruin everything while trying to climb to the top.
But that's just my first opinion, which is likely to change after more thought.

Try not to be suicidal or homocidal whilst the discussion evolves, thanks.

:)

It's not only the United States that can get into this. There are other countries, the European Union and many other eyes on this problem. I sometimes think that this is a problem that you have to protect all of us so we'll explode.

I think it's a lot of teamwork from allies in moments that even poor countries in Europe are helping immensely with all of this immigration.

When you say "I don't think our government and all of its surveillance would be able to neutralize something (...) but later says not that I don't trust in our government (...)"

IN MY OPINION
It's not only your problem and US is not Captain America who is always there to save the world. I fully respect and really come to appreciate the US for what it stands for. I have worked for your Government and lived in States for years. But when I sense you put yourself as the Leader of the Western Word, it sort of sends the wrong message IMO.

Last edited:
Oh yea man. The USA definitely needs to tone it down. We have the strongest military in the world, but we have a problem with egotistical propaganda.

And I def praise the Euro Union for their utterly unique system. Federalistic aspects, a neat trade bloc for the region, and much more in terms of their advocation for free markets inside of Europe.

@Nixiam,
Thank you for the thoughtful post and to have managed to express your ideas and inputs in such an outstanding and polite standards. People like you make all the difference in the World.
Take care.
Erik

Nobody is trying to ruin everything while trying to climb to the top.

ISIS?

Your title is 'the world's population' so I think you really have to look a bit wider than the USA. And the most pressing ideological problem today is the attempt to raise a caliphate that does indeed seem intent on trying to ruin civilisations past and present while rising to the top. So if its a question of 'within our lifetime', then surely the pressing question of the day is will the caliphate succeed or fail, how so (in either case) and what is the consequences of this?

If there seems to be something apocalyptic about IS's "bring it on" defiance, that's because there is.

When the organisation first brought out its online magazine - a major showcase and recruitment tool - just a month after the "caliphate" was declared, it was not by chance that it was named Dabiq.

A small town north of Aleppo in Syria, Dabiq is mentioned in a hadith (a reported saying of the Prophet Muhammad) in connection with Armageddon. In IS mythology, it is the scene where a cataclysmic showdown will take place between the Muslims and the infidels, leading to the end of days.

@Nixiam,
Thank you for the thoughtful post and to have managed to express your ideas and inputs in such an outstanding and polite standards. People like you make all the difference in the World.
Take care.
Erik

Nix is cool I know but, if Nix makes all the difference, who makes all the addition? And why is making all the addition bad, so that making all the difference is good?

Just a little bias breaker. For example, in Unity, like people's unity or team unity, making an addition to the team is key, actually making a difference is undesirable, as typically, similar individuals are to join that team, not ones that differ from the rest of the group.

Wide spread population displacement and immigration, especially along coastal regions and resource-stripped areas. Increased war over resources, mostly waged by the rich nations. A two-tier system of survival for virtually everything, divided between haves and have nots.

The positive things... we will probably have nuclear fusion within the next 30 years; the world's population will go down (likely through calamity); consumer capitalism will disappear and be replaced with a resource-based economy (at least partially); the generation of psychopaths who got us into this mess will probably be dead or too senile to wreak more havoc; there will be a greater understanding of environmental stewardship.

On the whole we're pretty fucked though.

Wide spread population displacement and immigration, especially along coastal regions and resource-stripped areas. Increased war over resources, mostly waged by the rich nations. A two-tier system of survival for virtually everything, divided between haves and have nots.

The positive things... we will probably have nuclear fusion within the next 30 years; the world's population will go down (likely through calamity); consumer capitalism will disappear and be replaced with a resource-based economy (at least partially); the generation of psychopaths who got us into this mess will probably be dead or too senile to wreak more havoc; there will be a greater understanding of environmental stewardship.

Amen lol, it IS a psychopath generation. It is.

ISIS?

Your title is 'the world's population' so I think you really have to look a bit wider than the USA. And the most pressing ideological problem today is the attempt to raise a caliphate that does indeed seem intent on trying to ruin civilisations past and present while rising to the top. So if its a question of 'within our lifetime', then surely the pressing question of the day is will the caliphate succeed or fail, how so (in either case) and what is the consequences of this?

Their goal isn't to ruin everything. It'sto radically pave away for themselves and their families into Heaven, whilst sendinng all infidels to hellfire. They don't want to kill the world, they're just a mass of deluded people imo.

You seem to be able to sum up my thoughts in a way I can't. Teach me that at somepoint.

^ lol. Yup...

Their goal isn't to ruin everything. It'sto radically pave away for themselves and their families into Heaven, whilst sendinng all infidels to hellfire. They don't want to kill the world, they're just a mass of deluded people imo.

This!

it's gonna be an interesting century ahead. John Von Neumann talked about a singularity occurring which "centered on the ever accelerating progress of technology and changes in the mode of human life, which gives the appearance of approaching some essential singularity in the history of the race beyond which human affairs, as we know them, could not continue." It's become a major theme with futurists since then.

The concept makes sense to me. In other words, something's gotta give. I truly want to be optimistic about humanities future though the road leading us towards the transition will no doubt be bumpy and inequitable. Either we reach a point where further advances in technology become impossible because as a civilization we are unable to wield them or we transcend into something all together new. Basically, human evolution has to keep pace with technology, and like it or not we're going to have to find out if we're ready.

calling it a singularity might be romanticizing it cause singularities probably appear discontinuous only in hindsight as a breaking of old trends. If Foreigner is right about achieving fusion in about 30 years, which could happen, we might be a Kardashev type 1 civilization by the end of the century ("A civilization with an energy capability equivalent to the solar insolation on Earth, between 10^16 and 10^17 watts.") That's probably optimistic though. It's symbolically a significant milestone because we'd begin to break the chains the food chain has held on humanity for survival. Hopefully through all that cumulative history of human exploitation we emerge a race of people that aren't total assholes.

I believe 30 years from now is a long time considering what history showed us what happened in the last 3 decades.

Things will happen even more rapidly. We think of the future of something that's already taking place when facing the world's last developments such as the accute migration movement, the upraise of Isis not to mention Ukrania, and not so long ago in history the wars in Europe in former Youguslav and ethnic conflicts that were still in place in 2001.

Good topic nix. I have conflicted views to be honest, a disparity between what I want and what I think is probable.

I'd like to see a continuing decrease in violence worldwide, a more enlightened interaction with the natural world, greater and more equal oppurtunities for all people regardless of geographical location and culture, greater hesitancy in engaging in warfare, a further reduction in the role of religions and opinions in determining values/laws, more oppurtunities for women, less racial conflict, a move towards space exploration, legalisation of drugs, removal of weapons from societies, better use of technology to feed people, etc. I'd like to see less of a focus on some of the superficial, facebook self congratulatory ego stroking and greater emphasis and admiration for artists, writers, philosophers, scientists. I'd like to see technology developed that allows abdundant energy with less/no pollution such as solar, geothermal, wind, etc. I'd be interested in genetic technology allowing the reintroduction of extinct species. It would be great if a human/machine interface was developed and we were able to overcome some of our 'weaknesses' as humans, such as death and illness. I'd like to see a more aware attitude towards population control, not imposed upon us but chosen because it is obvious and right.

On a pettier note, perhaps I would like some robot servants too. I'd love to be able to fly to work or teleport myself to bed. I'd love it if we became a bit more steampunk. I hope that we don't find out a huge asteroid is about to come and wipe out the rest of the dinosaurs too.

What I think is probable is further destruction of the environment leading to (continuing?) mass extinctions, famine and 'climate conflicts' where desperate and environmentally marginalised societies are 'forced' to (attempt to) conquer resource rich areas. I fear that we are going to see mass famine in areas that are going to be directly impacted by rising sea levels, so places such as Indonesia, Bangladesh, Fiji, most of the worlds archipelago's. I don't really think we are going to be able to hit the brakes on temperature rises. 2015 was one of the greatest ever years in terms of carbon emission; I believe February of this year was the hottest month on record. It doesn't feel like an exaggeration to say we are facing a climate emergency and it doesn't matter whether we want this to be the case or not. Perhaps I am being overly pessimistic but the facts we are being presented with do not lie. This is actually happening.

We have a few things going for us, with the paramount thing being our intelligence. We got ourselves into this mess and I think we are capable of digging our way out. There needs to be some kind of unity amongst global populations, so I hope that divisive things such as religion and politics and arbitrary racial distinctions are dramatically attenuated. We also know that earth's environment has changed constantly throughout history due to things like plate tectonics literally shifting environments into different climatic geopgraphical regions. I hope that means that life on earth has evolved the capacity to be flexible and adapt to change. I just fear that we haven't evolved the capacity to change so rapidly.

I really hope that I am being overly gloomy and I hope someone here can tell me I am wrong... :\

Hellfire sounds pretty ruinous to me.

Palmyra.
Mar Elian.
Apamea.
Dura-Europos.
Mari.
Hatra.
Nineveh.
Mosul museum and libraries.
Nimrud.
Khorsabad.
Mar Behnam.
Mosque of the prophet Yunus.
Imam Dur Mausoleum.

That's just ancient sites.

Raqqa (is being slaughtered silently)
Mosul.

And many etc's. But I'll stop. Because I think you're bored talking about this world outside 'Merica.

^Its somewhat similar to the cultural revolution in china when the old world was destroyed to make way for the new. Hopefully, no more libraries of Alexandria are torched. I sometimes despair at the fact that so much knoweldege has been lost. Its an unknown known. Who can say whether some greek mathematician developed a battery or enunciated the laws of theremodynamics thousands of years ago only to have 'progress' erase it.

Regarding ISIS, I think they are significantly less powerful than what they project. Middle eastern countries are taking notice of this group and I do believe a more universal condemnation of them is on its way. I hope, at the very least.

Good topic nix. I have conflicted views to be honest, a disparity between what I want and what I think is probable.

I'd like to see a continuing decrease in violence worldwide, a more enlightened interaction with the natural world, greater and more equal oppurtunities for all people regardless of geographical location and culture, greater hesitancy in engaging in warfare, a
On a pettier note, perhaps I would like some robot servants too. I'd love to be able to fly to work or teleport myself to bed. I'd love it if we became a bit more steampunk. I hope that we don't find out a huge asteroid is about to come and wipe out the rest of the dinosaurs too.

What I think is probable is further destruction of the environment leading to (continuing?) mass extinctions, famine and 'climate conflicts' where desperate and environmentally marginalised societies are 'forced' to (attempt to) conquer resource rich areas. I fear that we are going to see mass famine in areas that are going to be directly impacted by rising sea levels, so places such as Indonesia, Bangladesh, Fiji, most of the worlds archipelago's. I don't really think we are going to be able to hit the brakes on temperature rises. 2015 was one of the greatest ever years in terms of carbon emission; I believe February of this year was the hottest month on record. It doesn't feel like an exaggeration to say we are facing a climate emergency and it doesn't matter whether we want this to be the case or not. Perhaps I am being overly pessimistic but the facts we are being presented with do not lie. This is actually happening.

We have a few things going for us, with the paramount thing being our intelligence. We got ourselves into this mess and I think we are capable of digging our way out. There needs to be some kind of unity amongst global populations, so I hope that divisive things such as religion and politics and arbitrary racial distinctions are dramatically attenuated. We also know that earth's environment has changed constantly throughout history due to things like plate tectonics literally shifting environments into different climatic geopgraphical regions. I hope that means that life on earth has evolved the capacity to be flexible and adapt to change. I just fear that we haven't evolved the capacity to change so rapidly.

I really hope that I am being overly gloomy and I hope someone here can tell me I am wrong... :\

I don't think you're wrong. We are living crucial moments where people must go back to urge more unity, open minded opinions that seek one society more evolved. Be more idealistic about possibilities to turn this around. Innovation, flexibility and above all honesty about ourselves. We can't afford to be those who watch but more likely those who do things, who come up with ideas of working together towards solution that unite us, not otherwise. Wish we could have better leaders or begin to form them from our children.

Because I think you're bored talking about this world outside 'Merica.

What on Earth suggested I'm bored about talking about any other country? The only reason I brought up America is because with our tehnology and having the strongest military in the world (not to stroke my ego or any other American's, it is just a fact. Which also sounds arrogant and pushy, but don't take it as such), is because I feel that we might have the resources to defuse a war (odd expression granted), or defeat (sadly, as I am strongly against warfare) a terroristic country before they have the chance to nuke everyhin in sight.

I'm certainly not against discussion of the world, had I not I wouldn't have put such as the title. This was my input on why I doubt nuclear warfare would destroy humanity as we know it.

Regarding ISIS
I assume since you listed the sites up there that you understand the religion of Islam, both the radical and passive (denominations so to speak). Sunni and Shia. As I've read and been told, Shia is infamously more radical and violent than Sunni, alhough I seem to recall a Shia friend explaining to me it was the other way around. ISIS seems to take Muslim texts, i.e the Koran (which has other spelling) far too seriously, being that a large portion of the book is explicitly violent. That is what I believeinspires their violence, but I don't think that the soul intention is to drive the Earth into the ground just like Christians in the crusades didn't either. It's easier to get away with such in developing countries or 3rd world countries.

But now I am bored of talking about America and their troubles with other places. Say your peace then let us move on, I want this to be more of a discussion than an arguement. We get plenty of that in other threads, this is largely opinion based and any comments made about another country (or even their own) can offend someone very much. It is not my intention or anyone elses for that matter to do so.

Sorry if you were upset. The comment you made just seemed terse, but maybe I'm too sensitive.

When the population will reach 30 Billion, major countries like Russia, USA, France, etc. will dig a huge hole in the ground with a huge fkn drill, make a huge hole. Then they gona make a 10TT Nuke and descend it at the bottom of the hole. Then they will blackmail other countries for resources saying they will set their bomb off, and so will the other countries. Eventually, one country will set their bomb off and remove Earth from the solar system.

And we will remain in history forever, as the species that couldn't leave their rock because they were too busy making Gucci bags while they had a chance.