• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What do You think about the australian gov drug campaign?

I look at this new campaign as a $12million PR exercise - the government proving to the public that it is "Tough on drugs". As far as the veracity of the content - books have been written about why scare tactics don't work.

But I really don't think it is about actually reducing levels of illicit drug use. In fact, there is a healthy industry built up around supply control - police, customs and prisons. If we didn't have illegal drugs, how many people would be out of a job?

As far as levels of use of illicit substances - there have been studies published that show that policy around managing substance use has little impact on this. For instance - Less Dutch people smoke pot than in the US (per head of population). So being more tolerant of substance use doesn't mean everyone turns into a wastoid.

What matters is the harm caused by substance use - and we do know that a repressive approach to substance use can increase these harms. Check out www.maximizingharm.com for example.

Roll on the day when we get a Green PM (but I'm not holding my breath (but I did inhale ;) ))

ayjay said:
As far as levels of use of illicit substances - there have been studies published that show that policy around managing substance use has little impact on this. For instance - Less Dutch people smoke pot than in the US (per head of population).
Do you have a reference to these studies we can link, ayjay?

BT :)