• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What do you the purpose of human existance is?

thesoundofmotion

Bluelighter
What actually is our purpose on this Earth? Do you think it's just to keep procreating?

I'm not talking about individual purpose although that might tie into this.

I'm talking about the purpose of human existance itself just as the sun, water, rain, etc have their purposes.

Thread title should be - What do you think the purpose of human existance is?

i think its to leave the earth and colonise space.

That is likely(or more accurately I should say 'hopefully') only the goal of the few people with the means to do so in the near future. When the technology to do so is officially revealed to the public(we have been able to do this for some decades) and put to use on a larger scale than it is now, many under developed nations will be left on Earth to die with it's ever diminishing resources. I would be surprised if more than 30% of the current population 'comes along for the ride', so to speak.

Personally, the raping of other planets and the plundering of their natural resources for the selfish use of a single species is quite wrong IMO. It is fortunate though that there have already been steps taken to halt this. I don't know if they are working or how well, and quite honestly I don't even know if the information I have read/heard is entirely accurate. However much of it seems plausible.

I don't feel the human species has a 'purpose', per se. If we are indeed that product of evolution then we are here by chance alone, as evolution has no active agenda. And if we are not the product of evolution, then we do indeed have a purpose which was put forth by someone or something else, and if this is the case I am unaware of that purpose.

Either way I feel that we have overstayed our welcome on this planet. We have proven that we are either not capable or not willing to care for a planet properly, thus I do not feel we should 'get' a new one, be it by our own means(colonize or terraforming), or the means of others.

thesoundofmotion -

I've yet to discover if there really is truth in this world beyond the word itself.

I'm not altogether clear what you mean by this. Are you looking for metaphysical truths, transcendent truths - that is supernatural. Or are you looking for a truth that exists beyond the lexical, descriptive content engendered by the utterance of the term? I just wanted to be clear to avoid proferring answers to a question you never asked. :)

PAX

Last edited:
The universe experiencing/becoming conscious of itself? :)
Not that I would truly know or believe in it 100%. And not that this can be fully called a purpose at all.

Maybe there is no purpose and the only thing that wants there to be a purpose, is the human mind? Maybe (most likely) purpose in itself is just a product of human mind?

To experience, learn and transcend in conscious awareness of the eternal self. That's all i can establish at this point, only time will tell. :)

The purpose of humanity is to expand and understand, and ultimately, I HOPE, that we become active benevolent co-creators with the universe/the whole of existence.

I agree with delta9 in that I too share a fear of humanity jumping into space and wrecking havoc.

However, I also have nothing but hope and optimism for our species (while I say that outwardly, deep down I have a fear that its all going to go to shit, but like I said, outwardly this is what I project).

Not to get all futuristic or whatever, but if we can get through the next 100 years, without any major catastrophes (nuclear war for example), we'll be in a very good position.
In regards to getting the rest of humanity up to date in their style of thinking.

But, I definitely do believe humans have a claim to this planet.
In terms of outstaying our welcome, in terms of cosmic existence, we've been here for a picosecond. The fact that we still dont have shit right, upsets me, but doesn't discourage me.

Last edited:
To eternally make threads asking what the point of life is.

The purpose of humanity is to expand and understand, and ultimately, I HOPE, that we become active benevolent co-creators with the universe/the whole of existence.

I think a panentheistic, or panpsychist ontology delivers the teleological prescription to first, avoid the very real dangers of existential risk to human survival (Bostrom and Rees estimate a 50:50 chance of mankind surviving beyond the end of this century) - This is the instrumental purpose that allows for the realisation of our essential teleological nature..

I have a strong belief in Panentheism but since researching Transhumanism I have found Panpsychism metaphysically enticing. I believe all energy (I think matter is an illusion of human epistemology) WILLS to consciousness. The telos of the universe is to generate increasing amounts of consiousness, and I feel we are at an early stage of evolved consciousness (all energy has potential consciousness, which becomes ever more refined as it coalesces into more complex entities, granting agency, perception, apperception.

(I am undecided on whether consciousness is emergent, or exists in every quark, or strings/branes).

Put simply the cosmos is a consciousness-generating machine. One possibility is that the cosmos was a Monad, which became dismantled in some way, (I quite like the Gnostic myths of Sophia creating matter which the demiurge crafted into our universe, which we all have a natural impulse to correct). Our telos is to expand consciouness (procreation, transmission of this truth, and for the highly evolved conscious beings to employ some form of agency that equally works towards unifying all energy into a conscious whole.

That's roughly what I believe our telos to be.

I think we are the crystallization of knowledge for the universe as a whole. This idea kind of relates to us being the universe becoming aware of itself; we are the storehouse/library of the universe.
For example, a library holds information about the environment outside and around it. The human mind is the same thing, with its environment being the universe as a whole.
So inherently* I believe our purpose here is to gather, manipulate, and send information/data to ourselves (hermeneutics) and each other (communication). I think that's broad enough to cover just about all human activities.

were just a bunch of atoms and stuff moving about. chemicals and whatever else. whats my point again?

i can imagine links in nature for most anything, except for us, besides maybe to be with each other.
and thats a shame because we are making a mess, before inevitably needing to abandon ship.

what an awfuly good question.

Edit:
heh, do you think its counter-acting to wonder.?

Last edited:
There is no empirical evidence that there is a "purpose". Therefore, there isn't one. I challenge you to definitively prove otherwise.

There is no empirical evidence for many things, lacking empirical evidence may be a necessary but not sufficient reason to deem something an unjustified belief.

So, before attempting to shift the burden of evidence, how do you justify that belief?

nothing exists because it just can, or happens to in the physical sense of nature. it happens because it became that way.
something that exists with no cause, is the saddest loneliest thing.!
i definitely dont think we know much,,, still theorizing the premises of ways to discover new fundamentals. we became for a reason, as a whole and individually.