• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What do you take for Depression and Anxiety?

Cam129

Greenlighter
Hey

I firstly want to point out that I am not asking "what drugs should I take?" or "try to get hold of?"

I am asking what you found worked the best, so I have some ideas to discuss with my DR.

I have tried a few different types of Antidepressants but didn't seem to help much, I am currently taking Venlafaxine 150mg, which I suppose helps somewhat but I am still really struggling with Anxiety.

I am constantly worrying, on edge, then I few times a day I will feel I am terrified and start to shake. I can't seem to think properly, or concentrate, most of my brain power is focuses on worrying.

I also find myself drifting off, staring into space, worrying about something.

I don't really go out and do anything because I am to anxious.

I am just so tired of feeling this way, I don't really have a life because of it, so sometimes I think what is the point.

I just want to feel normal, feel good for a change, stop feeling terrified, be able to think straight and concentrate, be able to be in the room when someone is talking to me without staring into space.

Anyone that has been in a similar situation, did anything work for you?

Thanks

You might find some suggestions here http://bluelight.org/vb/threads/790718-Dealing-with-anxiety-Antidepressants.

Manboychef posted a post with some suggestions for coping techniques that you might find helpful as a start. Identify some techniques that can help you other than chemicals and find some people to talk to that is in the same situation as you. I think that is a good place to start. I can see you already are talking to your doctor, that a fine way to start and build upon with further coping techniques.

i went to psycho therapy and it killed a good amount of my anxiety and depression
if the therapist is any good they will help you get to the root of your issues, meaning bring them to the surface without making you uncomfortable and teach you coping techniques
ill admit it doesnt work for everyone but its a good viable option before getting on meds

i have taken prozac and lexapro both work good but the infamous sexual side effects suck
made me go from a horny high school kid to an 80 yr old man
and when i could come to attention it would take hrs for me to finish...not fun

just some info SSRI's and other AD can work but may crap out over time, i know a bunch of people who became worse after stopping an AD not to mention AD WD's are horrendous especially the brain zaps
its just the reality of it

IME when im not active i tend to have a shit load of anxiety and depression but the moment i get active and or go outside also working out helps
i feel great still some anxiety i say a 1 out of 10 which i can handle that all day

battling anxiety and depression is a long road on finding something that helps whether its meds or therapy
just dont give up if something doesnt work there is always something else to try
accepting your issues should be a starting point

psycho therapy and xanax when i need it is where its at for me ATM

Thanks for your replies.

Yes therapy has been mentioned but i just cant face it, i am to anxious, i wouldn't be able to talk/open up.

I understand that for long term solution it may include medication and therapy combined, but i need a something to help me feel better short term, then i can look at long term solutions.

At the moment i am in quite a dark place, dark thought, i am just so tired of feeling this way.

I am hoping that my DR contacts me ASAP and helps me.

Anyone else that can share the experience, what worked the best for you? would really help.

Thank you

Thanks for your replies.

Yes therapy has been mentioned but i just cant face it, i am to anxious, i wouldn't be able to talk/open up.

I understand that for long term solution it may include medication and therapy combined, but i need a something to help me feel better short term, then i can look at long term solutions.

At the moment i am in quite a dark place, dark thought, i am just so tired of feeling this way.

I am hoping that my DR contacts me ASAP and helps me.

Anyone else that can share the experience, what worked the best for you? would really help.

Thank you

short term a benzo would be your best bet try klonopin or xanax hell even a good anti histamine might work
and for what it is only by trial and error will you find out what works for you
you cant solely depend on our exp
dont be scared man and try something if it doesnt work you can always try something new

I have also suffered badly from depression and anxiety, been on citalopram 40mg, then fluoxetine, then sertraline. Out of these three fluoxetine worked best I feel for the both symptoms. However, I decide to finally come off SSRI's as they started to become less effective and I had more noticeable side effect (lethargy, emotional numbness).

Benzo's are a blessing for anxiety they work so well but aren't a practical solution IMO. For people like me it's also too easy to keep taking them as it feels so good to be rid of the worrying so you keep taking them, then BAM! you're addicted. Staying away from them is actually something I'm struggling with right now just because of the fear of addiction and withdrawal.

What worked best FOR ME was a combination of low dose fluoxetine whilst having CBT with a psychiatrist. Find someone you feel comfortable with (very important) and just get everything out in the open so all possible problems can be dealt with, believe me they will not judge you if they are good at their job.

Hope everything goes well. I have been in the same place as you and as long as you take little steps at a time things WILL get better. Feel free to PM me anytime OP.

Prozac and klonopin are just two of the medications I take. I was depressed for four and half yrs and something told me go with the Prozac. This was four weeks ago. I noticed after two weeks how wonderful I was feeling and wanting to live life again. I know the med-go-round can be tough and don't let anyone tell you that antidepressants are bs because their not. Some just work and some do not.

Can you get a script for any benzo? I know it's hard to find a doc with enough compassion to help but I think a four week trial of .5 clonazepam would help and see if you can take it when you really need it.

I take three mg a day of klonopin. As you can see I couldn't control myself thus making it impossible to take PRN. but if you can do that you are on a good path of recovery. But I'm not a doc. I just wanted to ad what finally helped me.

I just got all my medications switched around and am on all new stuff thank god.
100mg wellbutrin (bupropion) 3x/day
600mg gabapentin 3x/day
And I'm TRYING to find a medication for sleep ugh. The saphris (asenapine) I was on that for so long worked great was giving me horrible akathisia all of a sudden after 2 1/2 years on it. I can't get anyone to give me a damn benzo to safe my life! I'm getting a new psychiatrist soon and I'm hoping to get a scrip for some benzos then because my anxiety is completely crippling, like literally makes me completely nonfunctional. The gabapentin just barely takes the edge off my general baseline anxiety but its still there and my anxiety about absolutely anything I'm supposed to do still keeps me from doing it. Valium would change my life.

Anyway for sleep -- it's a puzzle because like I said, no benzos, and I have an eating disorder and cannot/will not be on anything that will make me gain weight so that rules out most antipsychotics. I'm on 60mg geodon (ziprasidone) right now, have been for about 5 days, and I haven't had a single full night of sleep in that time. I haven't had a full night of sleep in like 2 weeks since I came off saphris. I don't know what to try next despite the research I've been doing but man if I don't start getting more sleep at some point I'm going to crack again and land myself back in the hospital.

I've been on the wellbutrin less than a week but ALREADY I'm noticing it working. Like yesterday, my 4th day on it, maybe it was a total fluke of brain chemistry and wasn't even the wellbutrin, I don't know, all I know is that I felt so HAPPY all damn day (until the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep for hours then finally fell asleep for no more than a few minutes and had an awful nightmare which cause the worst panic attack I've had in quite a while), happier than I've felt in YEARS, I was so shocked by the feeling, I didn't even remember what it felt like honestly. I was so incredibly productive at work and just so full of "joie de vivre," I swear I felt like I was high. I don't feel that way today but I'm hoping that's the wellbutrin feeling and as it fully kicks in over the month or two I'll be feeling like that all the time. Crossing my fingers.

They had me on Paxil for depression before but it just sent me into a week long hypomanic state.. haven't had a clonazepam prescription for a month now because my mom called my doctor to tell her I was abusing my prescription. It was probably for the best. I tend to self medicate with stimulants and dissociatives, mainly stims these days. It's horrible but getting in to see a psychiatrist here is so hard.. I am still on the waiting list and it's been over 6 months now :(

30mg Escitalopram, 10mg Aripiprazole... It's all shit in my opinion. I ruined my chances at normal antidepressant therapy by being a filthy heroin addict for so many years... In all seriousness though, I do experience some relief from this combination. It helps me get out of depressive/anxious ruts in my thought process.

Last edited:
I have also suffered badly from depression and anxiety, been on citalopram 40mg, then fluoxetine, then sertraline. Out of these three fluoxetine worked best I feel for the both symptoms. However, I decide to finally come off SSRI's as they started to become less effective and I had more noticeable side effect (lethargy, emotional numbness).

I don't think i have tried Citalopram, i have tried Fluoxetine and Sertraline, now i am taking Venlafaxine.

It is difficult for me to now exactly what symptoms are associated with Depression/Anxiety, or Crohns disease. That means i am not to sure what medications would be best for me. My Dr has never really addressed my Anxiety, 1. because i am always nervous so i find it difficult talking to him. 2. I always feel rushed.

As he has never addressed my Anxiety i am not sure if the Antidepressants are working or not, because i am still overwhelmed with Anxiety.

What is confusing to me is that i feel very down, i am very Anxious/constantly worrying, but then on the other hand i feel like a zombie, i cant focus.

So if my Dr was to prescribe Xanax, it might help with my Anxiety but i am worried that i will feel even more zombie like.

I hope my Dr finally helps me, he knows that i have been struggling for years with Crohn's disease and Depression, so hopefully he will contact me this week and help me.

I know there is a risk of addiction but at this point in time i have two things/options that are running through on my mind... 1. is to just put an end to it all...2. is to go out and get any drugs i can find and take them, it might give me a break for a while and if i overdose then so be it.

Thank you all for your replies

SSRI's did make me feel like a mindless, zombie as well. Just getting on with the day, not enjoying anything.

Please do not give up! I have felt this is the only option so many times but somehow powered on, you need to realise it's not a solution because you get no benefit from it at all.

Is this anxiety mostly social anxiety, financial anxiety...?

I know what I said before and don't want to sound like a hypocrite but another solution regarding xanax has come to mind regarding a past "experiment" I did on myself to help my social anxiety. Using low doses of diazepam (5mg) I went out and did the things that made me anxious. Talking to strangers, like the hairdresser whilst also getting my haircut or buying some new clothes and asking the store assistants about different styles.

Personally, I found that the anxiety is really all in your head once, you do the things (whatever they are for you) without the fear then you can start to realise how well the situation goes and that there is nothing to be afraid/anxious of.

My point is, you could try to do the same with xanax but be active in fighting your triggers whilst on it. Sorry for the long post, hope it is helpful :)

cannabis and exercise

i second that
a high CBD strain of cannabis is IMO better than anything offered for anxiety and depression
no head high either so that you can still be fully functional basically all the benefits of cannabis without getting high
i dont usllay recommend because not everyone lives in a legal state and high cbd strains are hard to get ahold of

I'm on an SSRI , Luvox specifically (200mg/day). I have OCD too, and it works for some of those symptoms along with the depression/anxiety. I was on a low dose of Clonazepam for anxiety (0.5mg once a day) but I didn't even notice any difference with or without it so I stopped taking it and have been fine without it for a couple months. I got the Clonazepam from my methadone clinic and they won't let me get a script from anybody else for benzos, so I'm fine without. I also take Risperidone 3mg

30mg Escitalopram, 10mg Aripiprazole... It's all shit in my opinion. I ruined my chances at normal antidepressant therapy by being a filthy heroin addict for so many years... In all seriousness though, I do experience some relief from this combination. It helpy me get out of depressive/anxious ruts in my thought process.

I second this for the depression. Would not start at those exact dosages but escitalopram has the fewest side effects of SSRIs and the aripirazole will boost it and may stop some of those racing thoughts. Prozac may be worth looking into as well, as while generally SSRIs are said to be equally effective, Prozac can stimulate one when initiating therapy, which may help get you out of the funk. Careful though, could also worsen anxiety.

Personally? For anxiety, I take Valium (5mg t.i.d.) and Viibryd (40mg AM with food) though not just because I like the alliteration. Viibryd (vilazodone) is a newer atypical SSRI that is also a 5-HT1A partial agonist which has a more specifically anxiolytic effect and thus possibly a better choice than most typical SSRIs. For depression, besides the Viibryd, I also take Wellbutrin and Lamictal (due to some bipolar tendencies and also as an adjunct to the antidepressants.)

Generally? I am not overly impressed by SSRIs for anxiety. A lighter atypical like Abilify is not a bad idea alone but particular as an adjunct to something else. Vistaril/Atarax is underrated because most people only consider it as an antihistamine but it also has atypical-like antiserotonergic effects. I would second everyone above who says that benzos are a short term remedy and to especially recommend a course of CBT.

I would note that both benzodiazepines and SSRIs are a bitch to get off of and if you start and go beyond a short few weeks you are making a long term commitment or worse exposing yourself to the whims of doctors who sometimes don't get the seriousness of said long term commitment.

Best option? One of the lighter pharmacological recommendations above, if anxiety is truly severe, short term BZDs with the lowest possible dose, preferring a long acting one (Valium is my personal favorite both personally and professionally even though it's old school, more typical thees days is Klonipin, Xanax is bad news), and getting into CBT.

standard disclaimer not medical advice etc.

Last edited: