• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What do you do if you panic on LSD?

I believe that protecting against panic during the trip begins before the trip even starts, with making sure you know as much as possible about the drug you are about to take (and also, of course, that it is in fact the drug you think it is).

I won't be too harsh on your decision to call an ambulance because your other descriptions of this event and your decision making process make you seem like probably, usually, a smart person, and obviously you know your own body better than I. That said, as a general rule I think that when people call the emergency services when they have just taken drugs that are known not to be physically harmful, and there is a reasonable possibility that their symptoms are just anxiety-induced and unlikely to cause any lasting harm, they are doing a disservice to both the medical professionals who take time attempting to treat them and also the drug community as a whole, as it feeds into the whole "LSD USER HOSPITALISED CLOSE TO DEATH" type headlines should the media get a hold of this story.

So on that note, were you aware before you took the LSD that it is exceedingly unlikely on it's own to induce a heart attack? Are you aware, or have you ever had any reason to think that, you have any pre-existing heart conditions? How is your general health otherwise? Obviously if it is overall good then the danger of unexpected and difficult experiences is lower., and obviously the more knowledge you have, the more rational you can be in the midst of a bad trip.

Besides that, obviously it will occur at some point and everyone's coping mechanisms are different. If you have no other substances on hand, as has been mentioned you really just need to throw yourself into it and try to endure, just tell yourself that you have taken a substance, this won't be forever, and every experience that doesn't kill you will make you stronger. If you can, try to find humour in your predicament, this won't work for everyone but to me I find it helps to try to make myself laugh at the unfortunate situation I've found myself it, cowering on my floor (or wherever) in abstract terror of a vaguely defined and probably illusory threat... If you are with other people and they are reliable people, who you trust, probably it's a good idea to tell someone you're having a bad time and they will hopefully try to distract you and help you work through it - even if, at the time, everyone else seems scary, judgemental, and against you, or whatever illusory perspective the offending substance is telling you.

If you do have substances on hand, something sedating, fast acting, and anxiolytic should work a treat. I've never actually done this but I feel like perhaps a significant dose of Ketamine might be helpful because it will hit very quickly, and although it is a psychedelic in my experience the dissociation is anxiolytic like nothing else. This might not work for everyone though.

I believe that protecting against panic during the trip begins before the trip even starts, with making sure you know as much as possible about the drug you are about to take (and also, of course, that it is in fact the drug you think it is).

If you do have substances on hand, something sedating, fast acting, and anxiolytic should work a treat. I've never actually done this but I feel like perhaps a significant dose of Ketamine might be helpful because it will hit very quickly, and although it is a psychedelic in my experience the dissociation is anxiolytic like nothing else. This might not work for everyone though.

Point 1 is a must if you know you can take 1000ug with no PHYSICAL harm then after taking say 4/500 you know that the imagined fear of dying is just that. Although on a side note after an infection I was started on an antibiotic, 1 I had taken numerous times and the bloody thing attacked my liver and left me in hospital so there can always be the worry that your body has changed and cannot tolerate the drug, well that's some of the thinking occurs when I get panicky.

Point 2 I think that would be a huge mistake. I take some MXE after the peak and it takes me so far out there that I would imagine taken on the come up or peak and in a fit of terror it would be disastrous. The opioid or benzo route would be better chemically in my opinion.

Takes a Warrior to handle a bad trip like this.

I've ridden out nightmares without a benzo. Some people can ride out the storm, others might damn well lose their shit and never come back.

Agree that benzos are always a nice convenience if tripping and as safe gurantee to try and stay off a bad trip.

Liked how you described it as warrior dude.

Sometimes you have to go through hell to appreciate the bliss and awesomness of a trip. Part of the ride if you get me:)