• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

What do we know about Nicergoline?

Jamshyd

Bluelight Crew
I've been trying to find info on this (relatively) new Ergoline. It seems like the only thing known about it (besides the cute name) is that it is similar to Hydergine. WOW, how exciting! 8)... as if we know much about Hydergine!

Any info would be appreciated.

Well if it's based on hydergine, I think they contain a saturated bond at the 9,10 position - that needs to be an unsaturated bond for ergolines to maintain LSD type activity, so it had chance to exert any activity bt altering the degree of vasoconstriction/vasodilation

nicergoline

nicergoline has the lysergol type alcohol group in place of the carboxylic ester of hydergine, it also has a methoxy group at position and a methyl at the indole 1 position. it is quite far from hydergine chemically but probably works the same way.

editor.gif

it has been around a long time, over 40 years since the original patent, and is safe with mild effects on improving cognition in the elderly.

I don't know the mechanism, it is a prolactin inhibtor, an alpha adrenergic agonist, a dopamine agonist, and many many other things and like most ergolines has a very complex and 'dirty' pharmacology.
it might also be an antioxidant. I am pretty sure the anti dementia effects are more to do with increasing the blood flow to the brain rather then anything else.

search for nicergoline on google scholar .

Most of the dihydroergolines used to help patients with dementia generally achieve their effects by increasing blood flow to the brain & some degree of central 'arousal' action (alpha adrenergic & dopaminergic activity respectively

How does alpha-adrenergic agonization result in increased blood flow to the brain ... just through peripheral vasoconstriction? Do cerebral arteries have a significant number of alpha-adrenergic receptors?