• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What do people take the wrong way about you?

dbighead2 said:
ahh I get the same thing! Everytime I try to debate with someone, they always get mad and think I am trying to attack them. Just because I don't agree with someone doesn't mean I don't respect their opinion. :\

me too. that's the philosopher in me I guess.

People often think I am very quiet, shy, and super polite (or perhaps conservative or even boring), but it is just because I probably don't know them very well. Anyone that I know well doesn't consider me quiet and shy; and they know that I can be quite off-color and strange, especially when partying.

Sometimes people are also very surprised that I am intelligent. Maybe I give off an aura of stupidity; I'm not quite sure.

When i was younger, i always used to sound angry because that is really how i speak. LOL. always shouting, always boisterous..but hey its me. And it pissed me off that i would get misunderstood , and after a LONG time, ive learned to switch my voice OFF during ocassions when needed. Its worked perfectly thus far...altho i still remember the feelings it incurred when i was younger. Not good.
Also, i talk REALLY fast, i speak fast, ive always spoken THIS WAY since i was in fuckin KINDERGARTEN. i fucking HATE people who , having just met them, telll me to slow down in this condescending way, as if , Hey,youre probably cracked out, slow down. 8( FUCK YOU ive been speaking this way since i was five, this is how i speak normally. Its not my fault my brain is faster than my mouth and somehow it has to catch up now does it? Thats the most unfair misconception when i got older, that people thought i was on drugs because i talked fast .(people i had just met, mind you, not people who have known me for a long time ) . FUck when im on drugs, i talk slow. lol.
When im normal, i talk fast. normally. All my friends, my family, knows this. Thank God it doesnt occur so much anymore (the condescending) because like i said, ive learned to *slow down* for *slow* people lol . With the way I speak, and also the tangents that i go off on. Makes me appreciate my friends and my boyfriend who DO understand me. Totally. Sometimes i just also realize its not them, its me. Theyre not as smart or as quick-on-tha-pick-up as I am so i shouldnt feel bad about it.
^^and also I'd like to point out, that I have never looked down on anybody who couldnt pick up fast, nor did I EVER project an attitude , in any setting, with whoever group of people, where I was better than any of them. Ever. (lol, people who know me here obviously know I am quite adaptable and get along with all kinds of people without sacrificing me being myself. ) Like SonOf, a lot of people actually get surprised that I am , in fact, quite inteligent. lmao! I just hate the condescending attitude of some people who have no right to be that way towards me at all just because they dont understand me at first.
overclocking.gif

Last edited:
- A lot of people in the real world seem to think of me as being very intelligent.

I'm not. I don't think I am stupid - but there is nothing exceptional working behind my eyes.

- That I am a complete player
No not really. I get regular opportunities but I rarely take them up.

I feel like a bit of a fraud really. It is like I am sometimes playing a character but I cannot really tell where that ends and my true personality begins.

I am afraid that if people know the real me... they won't like what they see.

^^I believe all those things about you :p

No really, I understand what you mean. But to add to even more confusion, I wonder 'what is the real me?' What if what I think is the 'real me' actually isn't?

I know because I am quite bubbly and outgoing, sometimes this can be taken for ditziness. Then as a backlash against this, I get very aggressive and assertive. A lot of people have a general notion of trying to take care of me (could be something to do with my height 5ft1) and I hate this.

Sometimes I feel like I live through lots of images that aren't me, and I have no idea what is?

Edit: Hah, just remembered because I can be very blunt, I always hear back "So and so was very put out when you told her that her dress was too short" and I'm like, "But... it was?!?"

Last edited:
Shnouzerpuff said:
I feel like a bit of a fraud really. It is like I am sometimes playing a character but I cannot really tell where that ends and my true personality begins.

I am afraid that if people know the real me... they won't like what they see.

God, let's not even go there! I'm the same exact way. I'll only show my real self around certain people. The people that REALLY know me tell me I am night and day when I am just with them, and when I am around other people.

AmorRoark said:
Damn Lacey K I've read like 3 threads now where you complain about people not "getting you" right on bluelight. It must really bother you.

you the one assuming this topic is about bluelight

''maybe talkin bout it here can give people ways to change that subtlely, so other peeps understnad them better.''

--if this was abotu the site this shit woudlnt be serious. the point of the thread was to try and think about it so you can change it in life

who gives a fuck about ''givin people ways to change that subteley so that peeps can understand them better" on a message board

it can be annoying when heads on BL take shit wrong but that aint something to sweat

ahhhaha -- it's so awesome to see that so many people got the same issues as me. Great thread lacey :)

People don't get that I can turn off homegirl-jaymie just as well as I can turn on over-stimulated-intellectual-jaymie. I'm a simple folk, you know what I'm sayin'? That don't mean I am stupid or socially inept. Some people might mistake my shyness for apathy or disinterest when really it's all like blahblahblah says about your own inability to deal with you social anxietys or the inability to deal with other peoples anxietys over you. I can dig on social banter as well as any kid and sometimes I am just a girl of few words. Even so I got a lot going on in my head and I'm pretty quick at observing and learning new shit, especially about people. There aren't many people I think understand me enough to where I feel comfortable being my true self. I got so much feeling seething underneath my skin that sometimes when it does come out it's quite "off color" and extremely deviated from what you'd expect. Anyone who guesses I am complex pretty much has it right, but at the same time I've got a simple, down to earth, and real nature that not many other people have got going for them.

oh yea, and I hate it when people who first meet me say, "you're so quiet!" like, omg, do some tricks for us pleeeeease!! =D

jaymie said:
oh yea, and I hate it when people who first meet me say, "you're so quiet!" like, omg, do some tricks for us pleeeeease!! =D

Agreed.

Would they be happier if we just ran our mouths constantly upon first meeting? 8(

People are so annoying about that shit.

If not going to give you my half hour stand-up comedy and juggling routine until I have known you for a bit...sorry.:|

I would pay a lot of money to throw corn nuts at SonOF while he does his half hour stand-up comedy and juggling routine. ;)

Online, people mistake my sarcasm for assholeish comments all the time, which tends to piss me off.

Offline, I really can't think of something people regularly take the wrong way about me.

My friends are used to the fact that I use big words alot, but they still make fun of me when I like to discuss politics all the time. I think I put people off sometimes by launching into political discussions when I first meet them.

kittyinthedark said:
People always give me a really fucking hard time for using "big" words or talking about "intellectual" topics. I'm a very academic person by nature, and I hang out with a lot of brainiacs, so I end up talking about all sorts of weird random shit all the time, so it's always on my mind. People tend to misconstrue that as me trying to be demeaning and condescending, or trying to act like I'm smarter than everyone. It's not that at all - it's just how I am.

Two examples:
1) I was tripping out of my mind on 2C-I, and as such had no desire to, nor even could I, try to show off. We were discussing how horrible those Christian Veggie Tales movies are, and I made some offhand remark about how nuts it was that the Jesus freaks were trying to use "anthropomorphic vegetables" (those were my words) to try to indoctrinate children. Everyone just stopped talking, looked over at me, and then everyone started ripping on me, really, really fucking bad... It really fucking hurt my feelings...

2) The other day at the office, two coworkers and I were talking about drinking and how the two of them always get really bad hangovers but I don't. I mentioned that I always drink a glass of salt water before going to bed if I drink heavily. They, of course, were like, "Why the fuck do you do that." I said that you piss out all your electrolytes and it's bad for you - like the same reason you drink Gatorade for sweating during sports. "Hyponatremia is a big cause of hangovers." (My words again.) They both then proceeded to make fun of me for saying "hyponatremia" and then implied that I could never possibly get a guy at a bar because I would say something like that.

People's attitudes like that really piss me off. I mean, I guess I could try to not EVER talk about things like that, but when it comes down to it, that would require me to dumb myself down, and I'm not gonna fucking do that.... People just, for some reason, automatically assume I'm trying to make them feel bad or something just for talking about things I find interesting....

So, you still single?

People are always very surprised when they find out I am open to drug use. I must look like a bit of a straight :)

Sometimes I give the impression that I am snobby and aloof. Really I'm just introverted and not very good at chit chat. Bring up a topic I'm interested in and then you'll see the real me.

What peeps said before is also true about me,
i dont talk when i meet peeps i aint sure about. whether its if tehyre sketch, or tryina see what their attitude is, or cousins i aint seen in a MINUTE like since we were 6 and they been livin a much different life, or whatever. seein heads from back in grade school that went straight or whatever.

Sure ill be chillin down at the store with the jamiacan dudes all night when i dont even know them cats. i get along mad easy with the peeps you just meet on the street and as you go thru life. and just be chattin and chillin but when it comes to peeps that aint hood or whatever, or peeps that dont know me i get problems tryina relate. i will chill and be cool and shit but really i just dont know what to say especially if i say somethign tryina warm shit up and they dont get it or just seem weird abuot shit. or if i accidentally say the ''wrong thing'' cuz i dont know what kids i dont know or be around talk about.

i straight up dont know how to act sometimes around people that aint similar to me and i try and work on it, i can be pretty good at makin conversation but that shits HARD. i do what i can to try and make peeps comfortable if it comes down to shit like its family, or my peoples family, or tryina seem decent at a new job or whatever, but alot of times peeps just think im a stand off type like i said before when really im just tryina feel you out and see where your heads at to see if we connect.

Last edited:
^I know exactly what you're talking about. Sometimes I feel like I'm trying too hard to make that connection with people, to the point where I'm starting to become something I'm not...

SA - yes, unfortunately, I am still single, and have been for quite some time... :p :)

Oooh I definitely get the same thing kitty, with people thinking I'm snobby or condescending because of how I talk and the topics I choose.

The main thing that happens with me though is people think I'm a bitch (moreso online really, but sometimes in real life) because I'm opinionated and brash, but I'm actually an exceedingly nice person when it comes down to things that matter.

People wrongly think I'm a lot more outgoing and open than I actually am.

At parties I am the one with the rude bawdy jokes, laughing and talking to everyone to the point where at times I've been told I can be a bit too much or I'm a little confronting.

It's funny because in reality I'm actually quite subdued and serious, reading a book in bed is my favourite activity.... I like to be alone for LONG periods of time.... I'm very open about some areas of my life I don't place much gravity on (sex for example), leading people to think I'm some kind of wild uninhibited creature but nothing could be further form the truth really. I keep lots of things a secret so don't ever think you know me from how I act in public ;)

On the contrary, at work, I get misinterpreted and underestimated a lot because I go about things quietly. I don't make a big song & dance every time I have a 'win', I don't put every email in correspondence, I don't detail my methods and give regular updates on how I do things (because my way of working is not as linear as that). As a result I think people think I DON'T work, or often, that I don't THINK. Which is a laugh because I always think things through.... I always have a reason for doing something.

The next time someone comes up and suggests that they have a better way of doing something that I'd *already thought of and dismissed*, I think I'm going to punch their head in :D

Last edited:
The major thing that people take wrong about me is my OVERLY sarcastic humor. I am a smart ass through and through, but there are some people that take me way too seriously. Ha, me? I should not be taken seriously at all most of the time. Its normally one smart ass wise crack after another.

Originally posted by fairnymph
Oooh I definitely get the same thing kitty, with people thinking I'm snobby or condescending because of how I talk and the topics I choose.

I'm not sure I follow...do you talk in a condescending manner and that's why they think you're snobby/condescending?