• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What do I do now?

amediocrity

Greenlighter
Sorry if this is against the rules, I have already written this story as a reply on another thread of mine, but I just really need some thoughts on what happened to me today.

I visited my gp last week to ask to be put on a tapering plan of codeine phosphate. I have ALWAYS been honest with him about my addiction. The first time I told him I was addicted to the cocodamol he was prescribing me for migraines he gave me this disappointed look, as if I had done it to personally insult him. He handed me a phone number for my local drug counselling place and refused to give me any more codeine. I remember feeling so alone and overwhelmed by this response. It was like he was wiping his hands clean of me. He wouldn't even refer me to the drug team himself, told me I had to do this alone.
So when I went back to him last week to tell him I had gone back to the codeine via nurofen plus, explaining I was taking 32 a day and having serious stomach pain and black tar like stools, he gave me that same look of disappointment and said he wanted me to have some bloods taken to see how badly my insides have been damaged. I asked again if I could taper, he told me he won't prescribe me codeine unless a member of the drug team give him permission to do so.
So today I spend six hours talking on the phone to the people at one drug counselling place, getting transferred to another, until finally breaking down in tears to a lady on the phone at the first place I tried and got referred back to (what is it with me and full circles?). I told her I didn't want to injure myself anymore and I wanted a safe, controlled taper on codeine phosphate. She told me it was bad form for my GP to have not let me taper when I first got addicted. She said she would get the nurse to phone my GP that afternoon. I cried even harder with relief. I started letting myself think about a future free from nurofen plus and the damage it has been doing to my scrawny 8 stone body. She told me I would receive a phone call from the nurse just before my appointment. But I didn't. I rang back, she assured me I would get the phone call, but I didn't. So I went into the GP room, (it was a locum doctor, my GP had no free slots) and asked the doctor if she had received a message regarding tapering. She went really silent and then awkwardly told me the drugs team nurse had contacted my GP and together they had decided I shouldn't be prescribed codeine phosphate.
I can't explain how much that hurt. The double standards, the false hopes, the negligence and failure to even ring back and tell me before I walked into that room. I sat there and just cried and cried and cried whilst she awkwardly clicked on her computer mouse. When I left I tired ringing the drugs team but their office had closed. I had been holding off on buying any more nurofen plus as I thought the taper plan had been approved, so I walked, in tears, to the pharmacy and bought a box of 32 and then a box of plain co codamol 8/500 at another pharmacy. I took over half the packet in one go and just wanted to die then and there. I still do. I feel like these 'professionals' have just walked all over me. They get me hooked on a drug and then refuse to help me get off it. The fact that my GP prescribed me some stuff to protect my stomach last visit just says it all. It's like he's endorsing my using nurofen plus, so what if it kills me, as long as he doesn't have to deal with it.

I am so broken, guys. And so, so tired of this. Any ideas if this is something I can make a complaint about, or thoughts on other avenues I can try in order to taper off this drug safely and with full support?

Is admission to an inpatient detox an option? That seems to me to be the safest thing. Plus, you would get psychological support.

Problem is, my partner doesn't know about this. Nor do any of my friends or family. They knew about the last two times but I think they would find it really hard to take the stress of this happening all over again. And my partner told me we would be over if I ever started taking the pills again.

That is so frustrating and heartbreaking- I can empathize with your situation. Though it's not ideal and you said inpatient is out of the question, can you do a taper on your own? Also, not certain where you live, but do you have any other OTC codeine options to where you could possibly do a cold water extraction or some other method to get rid of the other pain relievers so you're not doing further harm to your organs?

I am so sorry that you have found yourself in this position. The way that the health service has responded to this is insanely cowardly. Is it possible for you to visit another doctor; second opinion kind of thing? Maybe go private.

I get the feeling that you recoil from rehab because you will be 'outed' thus hurting the people who love you the most including your partner. Its worth thinking a step further than that to how much pain you will bring them if things get beyond your control and you fall so far down the abyss of your addiction. You may go hurtling past the jumping off point and find yourself at best hospitalised rendering it impossible to hide your disease anymore anyway.

Think further than that and things get very dark indeed; inevitably losing your partner in the process.

I don't mean to be the voice of doom but the brutal, cold reality of this needs a nudge to the surface. There is so much more to this than just tapering off your 'medicine'. You drug of choice is a remedy for a symptom that arises out of something much deeper. You might consider NA meetings and a 12 step program. Nobody has to know you are doing this and if you are willing and honest you could find yourself on a much healthier (physically, mentally and spiritually) path. This type of thing wins hands down over rehab anyway since it is not just a detox and at the end you are left fending for yourself but rather it is more of a new design for living, continuous and progressive.

There are other ways; therapy, maybe CBT and a very slow taper. Food is medicine which the health service never focus on. Diet and nutrition is crucial - period. All of these things compliment each other.

You are ready and that is the most important thing, in a crazy way allow yourself a little relief, sadly some people do not get to this point, instead catapulting themselves beyond help and even life.

Gently and slowly get off the merry go round and begin a new journey. You are not responsible for your addiction, your responsibility lies in your recovery so explore, explore, explore. You WILL do it because you are so WILLING.

I am rooting for you. I am looking forward to future posts from you blogging your progress. You no longer have to accelerate further down the rabbit hole, there is a solution out there for you.

Last edited:
That is so frustrating and heartbreaking- I can empathize with your situation. Though it's not ideal and you said inpatient is out of the question, can you do a taper on your own? Also, not certain where you live, but do you have any other OTC codeine options to where you could possibly do a cold water extraction or some other method to get rid of the other pain relievers so you're not doing further harm to your organs?

I tried cwe on nurofen plus once and it didn't seem to work well. Very gunky due to the layer of film they coat the tablets with. But I think you're right, I need to be as safe as I can be whilst I'm taking these pills. I could maybe look into buying cocodamol 8/500 but the few times I've done a cwe on those haven't proved to be very successful either in that I didn't feel as if I had had my fix (could be just psychological though). Thanks for your support and advice, it means a hell of a lot.

I am so sorry that you have found yourself in this position. The way that the health service has responded to this is insanely cowardly. Is it possible for you to visit another doctor; second opinion kind of thing? Maybe go private.

I get the feeling that you recoil from rehab because you will be 'outed' thus hurting the people who love you the most including your partner. Its worth thinking a step further than that to how much pain you will bring them if things get beyond your control and you fall so far down the abyss of your addiction. You may go hurtling past the jumping off point and find yourself at best hospitalised rendering it impossible to hide your disease anymore anyway.

Think further than that and things get very dark indeed; inevitably losing your partner in the process.

I don't mean to be the voice of doom but the brutal, cold reality of this needs a nudge to the surface. There is so much more to this than just tapering off your 'medicine'. You drug of choice is a remedy for a symptom that arises out of something much deeper. You might consider NA meetings and a 12 step program. Nobody has to know you are doing this and if you are willing and honest you could find yourself on a much healthier (physically, mentally and spiritually) path. This type of thing wins hands down over rehab anyway since it is not just a detox and at the end you are left fending for yourself but rather it is more of a new design for living, continuous and progressive.

There are other ways; therapy, maybe CBT and a very slow taper. Food is medicine which the health service never focus on. Diet and nutrition is crucial - period. All of these things compliment each other.

You are ready and that is the most important thing, in a crazy way allow yourself a little relief, sadly some people do not get to this point, instead catapulting themselves beyond help and even life.

Gently and slowly get off the merry go round and begin a new journey. You are not responsible for your addiction, your responsibility lies in your recovery so explore, explore, explore. You WILL do it because you are so WILLING.

I am rooting for you. I am looking forward to future posts from you blogging your progress. You no longer have to accelerate further down the rabbit hole, there is a solution out there for you.

This is unreal. I'm so touched by your words. You've hit the nail on the head, everything you say is absolutely true. I actually managed to tell my mum and brother the truth last night on the phone. Since then, they've been trawling the internet and phoning nhs advice lines to try and get an idea of how to help me get through this safely. I can't believe the support and love they are pouring out onto me, it's so overwhelmingly touching. Then I logged on here and saw this message and I sent it to my mum because it just explains everything so clearly. She said it was the loveliest message and is really grateful you decided to send it. Thank you, so so much, I hope I do you, my family, my partner and myself proud. All you people who give advice and help those of us see the wood from the trees when everything just looks so dark, you're just incredible.

P.S. I haven't actually told my partner yet, I will when I have the courage and strength. For now the support from you all and my mum and brother is enough ?

You might consider NA meetings and a 12 step program. Nobody has to know you are doing this and if you are willing and honest you could find yourself on a much healthier (physically, mentally and spiritually) path. This type of thing wins hands down over rehab anyway since it is not just a detox and at the end you are left fending for yourself but rather it is more of a new design for living, continuous and progressive.

Just out of curiosity, have you been to rehab? I apologize if this comes off as confrontational, but it doesn't sound like you really know what rehab entails. Rehab begins after detox has already been completed. There's a reason there's a 12 step meeting every night in rehab, and the vast majority of rehabs require off-campus meeting attendance so that this becomes a habit.

tenderjuice said:
Food is medicine which the health service never focus on. Diet and nutrition is crucial - period.

This is also a fallacy. All the rehabs I have attended have had a nutritionist come in once a week and give talks on how to take care of ourselves in this way.

I think everything else you had to say is wonderful.

Just out of curiosity, have you been to rehab? I apologize if this comes off as confrontational, but it doesn't sound like you really know what rehab entails. Rehab begins after detox has already been completed. There's a reason there's a 12 step meeting every night in rehab, and the vast majority of rehabs require off-campus meeting attendance so that this becomes a habit.

This is also a fallacy. All the rehabs I have attended have had a nutritionist come in once a week and give talks on how to take care of ourselves in this way.

I think everything else you had to say is wonderful.

I don't want to put words in anyones mouth but I think she meant that rehab is a controlled environment to the point that it has little resemblance to the issues OP will face in real life. Rehab is a safe little bubble where there is little stress and its nearly impossible to relapse. Many people find the transition back to the real world jarring. Staying in the real life routine can give some people a better idea of just how serious there addiction is or isn't.

I don't know how much experience you have with the treatment industry, but when it comes to the vast majority of rehabs, which operate under the abstinence only paradigm, it is rare to find a qualified nutritionalist who actually works with patients on anything resembling a case by case basis.

Seriously, I get the feeling you have had nothing but positive experience with rehab, but that only means you are in the vast, vast majority.

Fewer than 1 out of 20 people who are exposed to addiction "professionals" have positive experience. The fact you are part of this tiny group of patients is wonderful, but doesn't mean your experience is anything approaching the norm.

I am sorry to be so harsh with you, but I am rather sick and tired of the folks who have positive experiences with rehab preach to everyone else about how rehabs are all nice and wonderful when in reality the standard of care they provide would get any other branch of medical professionals sued and forced to give up their license to practice medicine.

And for the record, I am not at all suggestion that OP avoids seeking out treatment. Clearly she would benefit from some individualized intensive care. But finding good care, even in the UK, is exceeding difficult outside of their ORT programmes and private, highly specialized individual physicians. Their public health system is decades ahead of what we have to suffer through in the states, but as the OP's case highlights finding good care when it comes to substance use disorders is very hard to come by.