• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc What can I take to help me with social anxiety?

MoonlitMadness

Greenlighter
Hey, so I've tried many different medications for my social anxiety.. None of them worked, they just made me feel emotionally numb and had horrible sexual side effects. I then tried different herbal remedies such as St John's Wort and 5 HTP, plus many more besides. Again, nothing. I've tried Kanna and Kratom.. they did nothing for me either! The only thing asides from alcohol that has helped me is Phenibut, but I don't trust it, and it again caused sexual side effects for me which were not favourable.

I really need to get over this anxiety. I feel nervous and self conscious every time I leave the house.. even with music blasting out of my headphones I can't get out of my head. I am meeting a great guy who I've been talking to online any day now and I'm terrified. I need a helping hand here!

Benzos will help you short term, maybe clonidine, or something like hydroxyzine.
For the long run try Cognitive behavioral therapy :)

Phenibut is my go to for social anxiety..you can't use large doses every day though, plus it gives me foggy head..

Ssri and ndris have done nothing for my social anxietypaxil had a slight effect but made me completely apathetic and tired 24/7..

Social anxiety is a bitch..benzos help but also bring some nasty cognitive issues and rebound anxiety..

I wish I had faith in CBT

CBT works wonders for certain people, but it almost always works when in combination with the right medicines. I would advise either gabapentin or pregabalin, pregabalin being my favourite. Pregabalin gives me the same anti-anxiety feeling that phenibut gives, but a little stronger and with a little more positive excitement to the "high". It also enhances my sexual abilities and makes orgasm fuckin intense. It is addictive though, just not as addictive as phenibut.

Also, you could try something like aniracetam which is a nootropic that feels a little bit like caffeine the first time you try it, and then that feeling goes away for subsequent experiences as it becomes a more subtle and calming effect.

Also, how long did you try kanna? because kanna has worked wonders for me but it takes a few days for the anti-anxiety effects to kick in.

Benzos help short term but quickly stop working. The biggest thing the avoid would be stimulants, since they'll amplify your anxiety 10-fold (and if you're already on them, see if you could lower the dose).

Promethazine is an otc medicine that is also used for anxiety and mild adult sedation for insomniacs, it's also great for travel sickness, hayfever and nausea. It's marketed as Phenergan. Benzos are a last resort in your case but I agree with the suggestion of CBT, or the new therapy DBT of which I am starting soon.

have you tried zoloft? I would request that, and couple it with xanax .5mgs PRN. The zoloft will bring you to a better baseline when it comes to anxiety. The biggest thing that will save your ass is talk therapy. It has helped me with my anxiety quite a bit. I no longer need xanax, though I keep some around.

Benzos help short term but quickly stop working. The biggest thing the avoid would be stimulants, since they'll amplify your anxiety 10-fold (and if you're already on them, see if you could lower the dose).

Maybe they quickly stopped working for you but the same dosage of Klonopin has been equally effective for me for the past 12 years and lots of people don't feel that they stop working.

I wish people like you would always be clear that you are speaking from YOUR opinion and not just making a blanket statement.

Like for example, what I said is just MY opinion, although it is shared by many other people, but it's a fact that benzos don't always quickly stop working.

To the OP, the Klonopin/Lexapro combination has worked best for me.

However, I recommend you also do things that don't involve drugs like exercise a few times a week which has helped me a LOT with my anxiety, keep a good diet, avoid too much caffeine (that's my problem), try to get enough sleep when you can, and maybe meditate and also get a good therapist.

as the above,exercise,do a cognitive behavourial therapy as drugs will only help in short term but make things worse in the long run.

as the above,exercise,do a cognitive behavourial therapy as drugs will only help in short term but make things worse in the long run.

I don't like this constant assertion that this is ALWAYS true.

Of course, it is best IF POSSIBLE not to use drugs or at least to use them as infrequently and in as low a dosage as possible...BUT....it is NOT a 100% proven set in stone FACT that benzo usage ALWAYS makes things worse in the long run.

It might be true a lot of the time...for the sake of the argument you MIGHT assume it COULD even be true MOST of time, but it is NOT true 100% of the time.

I have been using the same dosage of Klonopin for the past 12 years.

At one point I used it daily and now I still use it MOST days but not EVERY day, and I have not seen things get worse YET.

Hopefully they will not ever get worse, but if they have helped more than they've hurt for over a decade and we can perhaps guess that it would be INSANE to assume they could continue to not make things worse for one more decade....well......20 years is a significant portion of my life where the didn't make things worse and in fact made them better.

So lets please not always say that this is true, because sometimes it isn't.

But at the same time, it's just a bad idea not to have other non-drug related ways of treating your anxiety.

Thanks everyone :) I have tried medications but don't really want to go down the SSRI route again, it just wasn't worth it. I have mentioned benzos to my GP in the past but she didn't seem keen to offer them to me.. Are they really useful when used as required? Maybe I should ask her again..

I do like Phenibut it just makes me feel numb sexually :(

Thanks everyone :) I have tried medications but don't really want to go down the SSRI route again, it just wasn't worth it. I have mentioned benzos to my GP in the past but she didn't seem keen to offer them to me.. Are they really useful when used as required? Maybe I should ask her again..

I do like Phenibut it just makes me feel numb sexually :(
It isn't an XR but it does last 6 hours, look into a drug/chemical called Etizolam. It's completely legal as a thienobenzodiazepine and works wonders for anxiety for me (before I started getting drug tested weekly after rehab but that's another story). It's cheap too, and I find that 0.5mg is a good dose for me.

Well, I would say Phenibut, but you said you don't trust it, why don't you trust it, just wondering. Wierd you had sexual side effects from it as it seemed to raise my sex drive. Is addictive though, but mostly everything is. Have you looked into Pyrazolam? It is a benzo, but alot of people report it its not recreational and does not cause the side effects as others as much(euphoria, drowsiness). From reports I've read of it people say its great for anxiety, but not so much for recreational...Thats all I got really, seems like you've tried everything..Gabapentin maybe, forgot if you have tried that.

Maybe they quickly stopped working for you but the same dosage of Klonopin has been equally effective for me for the past 12 years and lots of people don't feel that they stop working.

I wish people like you would always be clear that you are speaking from YOUR opinion and not just making a blanket statement.

Like for example, what I said is just MY opinion, although it is shared by many other people, but it's a fact that benzos don't always quickly stop working.

To the OP, the Klonopin/Lexapro combination has worked best for me.

However, I recommend you also do things that don't involve drugs like exercise a few times a week which has helped me a LOT with my anxiety, keep a good diet, avoid too much caffeine (that's my problem), try to get enough sleep when you can, and maybe meditate and also get a good therapist.
It's generally implicit that anything on a forum is only the poster's opinion (unless backed up by solid, objective evidence).

Mycophile: The reason people are saying benzos are bad in the long run is because of the withdrawal syndrome they create. Noone can fully know that they will always be prescribed something and never have to withdrawal from them. Secondly, you are the anomaly not the rule when it comes to benzos. Most people experience tolerance for benzo medications. You are lucky.

There has also been a fair bit of research in the last few years indicating that benzodiazepine use may increase your risk of developing dementia.
I think for social anxiety, benzos should be used only as a last resort, in the most extreme cases.
IME they are not benign drugs, and carry a fair amount of risk, be it of addiction or cognitive problems.
Plus, drugs don't address the causes of social anxiety, they merely mask it.

CBT is a much better option, i personally wouldn't advise drugs for social anxiety.

It isn't an XR but it does last 6 hours, look into a drug/chemical called Etizolam. It's completely legal as a thienobenzodiazepine and works wonders for anxiety for me (before I started getting drug tested weekly after rehab but that's another story). It's cheap too, and I find that 0.5mg is a good dose for me.

Yep, etizolam worked great for my anxiety too, much better than xanax..in my experience, I never developed tolerance to Eric either as 1 mg helped in the beginning and at the end of my use..wish it was as easy to get as it was 2-3 years back