• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin What are your guys thoughts on methadone for a heavy heroin user

Yea hopefully. I had 1 year and 3 months clean after a 82 day stay in rehab which before I was on heroin for 3 years straight with the longest break being 21 days on suboxone which I administered myself just buying it off the street. I can't even really say why I relapsed. Boredom I guess. My city just isn't a good place to be for recovering drug addicts. It's hard in St.Louis because literally all every one does is get fucked up in one way or another. It's literally a drinking town. Fact is I truly enjoyed being sober and now I miss it more than anything. Like not actually being on anything and having to rely on anything just to make you feel "normal". Methadone just scares me because I know it's just another opiate and though you aren't going through the hassle of calling a dealer everyday and dealing with the general shadiness of the heroin scene you are still a slave to a drug. For the most part It would be nice just not having anything be the main motivator for me getting up everyday. I'm really not sure what I should do right now because I've heard both horror stories about methadone and suboxone. I've been thinking about the vivitrol shot also. Just trying to think of all my options.

Mmt is very different. After reading what your expectations are you might as well just keep doing dope. Its nothing like just not calling your dealer. You still want to get high so mmt is definitely not the way to go.

But you being monitoring and out of the streets. Living in a relatively safe environment. No needles, ODs.
You can always stop. It's not easy but doable. It all depends how on how your health is. Family, social life, work, etc.
I don't think dope is a better choice as you could die quicker and live a more difficult life IMO.

This is incorrect. The drug test administered when they first admit you is to make sure you DO test positive. They want to make sure they're only giving methadone to people who are addicted to opioids. After you're on methadone then yes, they test to make sure you're only taking your medication.

It takes at least 3 days for an opioid to clear your system anyway so just coming in while in withdrawal wouldn't give you a clean test. If you had to test clean to start methadone no one would do it, they either wouldn't stop using at all or they'd quit cold turkey.

My understanding is they want you in withdrawal to make sure there's no risk of OD. They don't want people doing a shot in the parking lot then coming in and starting methadone. Years ago when I went in. I just couldnt do it. I did a shot at 3am then came in at 6am and said I had last used at midnight. Don't advise that but it was fine.

I was going to say the same thing. They test FOR the presence of opiates before they will give you methadone or BUPE so they're not given a heavy opioid to a naive individual (which would be super dangerous.)

listen, I didnt read the rest of this thread but ill give you my advice.

Methadone is not for everyone; same goes for Suboxone. have you tried one or the other yet? I was shooting 2G's of dope a day. had a killer habit. a lot of it had to do w/ Fent of some type of Fent analog, so my addiction was bad. I maxed out at 105MG of Methadone before deciding Methadone was not for me. it did not KILL the FEELING of getting high; id go to the clinic at 730AM and be on the phone w/ the dope man by noon. was I getting high? not really but I needed it and had to shoot. I eventually started to lower my dosage because there was no point and just jumped off around 50MG and went back to dope full time; I really never stopped using all throughout a 6 month period. I just used the Methadone to save money and would only use 5 days out of the week rather than 7, lol. sounds dumb as fuck but many of us have done this.

I went back to Suboxone (something I did back in 10' and it worked great and was "sober" for 9 months). I had to go back to Suboxone rather than use full time because I had to go away for 2 weeks for a DUI program and had no choice; I started off at 16MG of Suboxone and took my last Fent shot at noon on Sunday and checked into my program at 4PM. Took my first Suboxone the next morning at 8AM and for the next 2 weeks I felt great. this is going back about 2 years ago. yes, I have fucked up back and forth a bit but Suboxone truly helped me/helps me more than anything. I started at 16MG (more than enough considering I had a killer tolerance) and used that for about 2 months before just dropping to 8MG; I didnt slowly dropped but just dropped 8MG overnight because at 16MG my dick didnt work; ill be honest w/ you, ha. the GF wasnt happy and I was not either - it didnt work on dope either, so nothing new here. but at 8MG I was back and action and rocking and rolling. I stuck at 8MG for about 6 months before dropping to 6MG and now at 4MG. now at 4MG I feel the best; all day long I feel on top of the world. I do wake up a bit "ugh" but after taking my 4MG under the tongue, all goes well within 15 minutes. I just take the generic orange or white, depends if I go to CVS or Walgreens. I can get the strips but prefer the pills instead.

again, everyone is different but keep this in mind. Suboxone saved me - Methadone just gave me something to do in the morning before sticking myself and wasting money/dope (very sad all the money and dope I wasted; wish I had that dope now - oh wait, I am on Suboxone and cant say that, lol). but do not think ONLY ONE is good for you; def. check out both before making a decision because they are truly different and each addict reacts different to each pill. has NOTHING to do w/ your tolerance but do realize w/ Methadone you have to start at a lower dose before they raise your dose by 5MG every 2-3 days or so. if you get a Suboxone Dr. or enter a program they can start you off at 16-24MG depending on where/who you go to. you honestly do not need more than 16MG (assuming you have a killer habit) and you can easily drop over time.

just something to think about. people tend to think Methadone is the answer for killer habits - its not.

No, it's definitely not the answer for all your problems as you pointed well.
The idea is getting off the streets and coming off H. Change habits, etc.

I agree with the other guy who is on 4mg suboxone. I had large dope habit, $1-200 a day. I've taken methadone about 100mg and it worked a bit but also later on in the day id want a shot.

I decided to do suboxone and at 12mg a day to start I felt shitty and pissdd off I wasn't on methadone. After two weeks I started to feel good and that lasted all day. 3 weeks after starting I got a hard physical labour job and can't take my sub tol 5pm but I feel fine all day.

I was weary about starting at a high suboxone dose, 12mg, but I realize if I was at 2-4mg I'd still have dope cravings (haven't thought about dope since the 2 week mark). So I truly think it's for the better now. Good luck, just more things to consider I think for most suboxone sucks to start with and will eventually make anyone feel good after a few weeks on it, don't give up

It's all related to giving up the "pleasures" of being sedated somehow. Once you've accomplished that, it's easier to accept whatever works. That's why opiates and everything else sucks when it's time to come off. Trading addictions could make this task for ever to be achieved IMO.

After reading what your expectations are you might as well just keep doing dope.

Nah, I think OP is on the right track getting clean from it. Not to be sarcastic, but I've yet to hear someone get clean from heroin regret getting clean. Hell, he'll be dealing with an actual doctor that can help him out on lowering dosages. Don't discourage OP, as it sounds like he's on the right path. While he might need something from the doctor now, OP will get clean eventually if that's what he wants. If not, they'll keep giving him the prescription for quite a while anyways, maybe permanently I don't know. Getting clean is definitely a good decision when it comes to a serious addiction issue like it sounds like OP was dealing with. He'll be way better off without the habit, I'm sure. I'm sure it'll be tough at times, but it's important that OP not give up or follow the idea of "may as well just keep doing it".

I agree with you. This is a process and as long as OP pursue his goals, it's a matter of time.
It's mostly about wanting to be out, so I believe he will eventually succeed.