• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

What Are You Reading V.3 At The Fourth Grade Level

Anyone read The Eternal Golden Braid?

Have so many fucking books to read, it's hard to sit down - especially with a laptop always around - though I should be commuting more soon so that'll give me a chance to delve deeper. I'm sick of technology, social media, being glued to a screen.

I WANNA GO OFF GRID.

Quite. In the words of the current generation, 'Wot R bucks? Lol..'

Or the Bill Hick's waitress 'watcha readin for?'

The End of Mr Y - Scarlett Thomas

Synopsis from wikipedia:

"The End of Mr. Y
is a novel by British author Scarlett Thomas. The book tells the story of Ariel Manto, a PhD student who has been researching the 19th century writer Thomas Lumas. She finds an extremely rare copy of Lumas' novel The End of Mr. Y in a second-hand bookshop. The book is rumoured to be cursed - everyone who has read it has died not long afterwards. Central to Lumas' book is the "Troposphere" – a place where all consciousness is connected and you can enter other people's minds and read their thoughts. The book contains the recipe for a homeopathic formula that Lumas' hero uses to enter the Troposphere. Manto uses the recipe to reproduce the formula and subsequently enters the Troposphere herself."

An interesting read this one, i really enjoyed it. Not usually the sort of Book i would go for but glad i did

The End of Mr Y - Scarlett Thomas

Synopsis from wikipedia:

"The End of Mr. Y
is a novel by British author Scarlett Thomas. The book tells the story of Ariel Manto, a PhD student who has been researching the 19th century writer Thomas Lumas. She finds an extremely rare copy of Lumas' novel The End of Mr. Y in a second-hand bookshop. The book is rumoured to be cursed - everyone who has read it has died not long afterwards. Central to Lumas' book is the "Troposphere" – a place where all consciousness is connected and you can enter other people's minds and read their thoughts. The book contains the recipe for a homeopathic formula that Lumas' hero uses to enter the Troposphere. Manto uses the recipe to reproduce the formula and subsequently enters the Troposphere herself."

An interesting read this one, i really enjoyed it. Not usually the sort of Book i would go for but glad i did

A good friend sent me a copy of this - it was the second of 2 they sent me so I've disrespectfully have not got around to starting it yet. It's next on my list though. They thought this and the other book I got (The Psychopath Test - the authors name escapes me but it;s that fantastic journalist who wrote 'The Men Who Stare At Goats') were considered essential enough to have extra copies purchased and sent to me out of the blue.

After ur post I might start it this after.

Yep, it's a ripper. Her others are also good but that one is the standout imo.

If anyone hasn't yet read Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan, don't wait any more.

And anything by Patrick DeWitt, especially The Sisters Brothers, and UnderMajorDomoMinor.

A good friend sent me a copy of this - it was the second of 2 they sent me so I've disrespectfully have not got around to starting it yet. It's next on my list though. They thought this and the other book I got (The Psychopath Test - the authors name escapes me but it;s that fantastic journalist who wrote 'The Men Who Stare At Goats') were considered essential enough to have extra copies purchased and sent to me out of the blue.

After ur post I might start it this after.
The psychopath test is a great read.

Recent reads have included...

The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan - rollicking yarn very much of its time but still entertaining enough (admittedly probably not for the same reasons) to be worth a read today. Still never seen any of the film versions though which is a little embarrassing for a supposed cineaste :eek:

The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle - Even more ripping yarn than the above and far better written. I cringe again to admit that I have never actually read an Arthur Conan Doyle book, but must say I really enjoyed this much more than I expected to. Again, very much of its time, but also still very much enjoyable as a piece of writing as well as a story.

Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne - Much as the above two really. Again the writing is intriguing to a modern eye, and again the novel is quaint in every way. One thing I would add, though, is that although we all think we know the story I must admit I never knew of the Mormon interlude before 8o

Third Harry Potter book done. I love this series. So easy to read and so well written

I loved the first five Harry Potter books when my lil brother loaned them me a few years back. Not read the sixth and never see any of the films though. One day...

Most recent read was Siddartha by Herman Hesse. Herr Hesse is one of my all-time fave authors - I whole-heartedly recommend everything he ever wrote because every one of them is true genius - but this one is a bit special even by his standards.

Words fail to describe quite how good this book is
His style was always minimal, mythic, lyrical, deceptively simple. His books seem almost childlike at times but he condenses content to such exquisitely simple levels here it's just breathtaking. A masterclass and no mistake, Messrs.

I read Whit, by Iain Banks the other day. Funny, light read, which tells of a dramatic coming of age for a young woman raised in isolation from the world by a weird sect.

Now reading "Collapse" by an envirnomentalist, Jared Diamond, which looks at historical civilasitions and their varied demises. Its quite dense, but so far well balanced and referenced.

Last edited:
Jared Diamond is great but i haven't read Collapse yet.

And Shambles, Siddhartha is simply one of the best. Enjoy!

I'm currently reading the new (out at the end of the month) John Safran book, Depends What You Mean By Extremist. Really interesting book where Australia's resident trouble maker spends time with both sides of the current protesting mobs: Right-wingers against Islam and Left-wingers against fascism, and highlights the similarities, inconsistencies and sometimes sheer absurdity of all involved. Typically irreverent and pretty funny.

I looks forward to reading that.

Enjoying the new Paul Auster novel 4321

Thanks mate :)

today is the first time ive ever used bl mobile, and have deleted two posts while trying to edit. . .

could a mod please unfuck me?

Don't edit on the bl mobile interface. If you edit on the bl mobile interface, you're gonna have a bad time.

I loved the first five Harry Potter books when my lil brother loaned them me a few years back. Not read the sixth and never see any of the films though. One day...
how could you read the first five and not want to read the last two? to find out how it all ends, if nothing else!

when book 7 came out and went back and read book 6, then book 7 in 3 days :)

alasdair

I am going out to get book 4 now. Not watched any of the films which is good.

thanks SJ.

I dont know what happened the other, but its all good.