• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What are you reading now? vers. "So I don't end up being a fucking waffle waitress"

Yeh, DOP was nothing more than Huxley's personal account of his own experience with a substance that was unknown to himself ta the time.

I think he put anything to do with science aside when he wrote DOP.

I also found it a rather boring read at the time.

I wonder if he were to edit it today, would it be an altogether very different piece of work?

Have you read Island, LP?

Not as of yet, but I'll read everything eventually. Love Huxley!

Have read Antic Hay, Point Counter Point, Brave New World, Mortal Coils and of course Doors of Perception.

Less than I thought but I don't think to buy his books new and I haven't run across any is second hand stores lately.

Ahh I see, Island is the only one I have read that you haven't. I think you will like it.

Some second stores a crock, they try and charge the same as a new book or more in some places.
It's hard to find an honest good second hand book store, that stocks decent tiles anyway.

DOP is the only one of Huxleys works I have actually read... What was Island about? might keep an eye out for it..

The Boat by Nam Le.

It's a collection of short stories. There is some brilliant writing in this book - how he manages to do it I still don't comprehend.

I'm not sure though that I'm understanding the larger picture... if there is one.

I'm reading The Walking Dead (various volumes) by Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore and I am freakin loving it big time.

Also reading Super Freakonomics in between and it is pretty much on par with the original

The Last of the Mohicans was terrible. If that was the way all American authors wrote at the time I'm not really interested in this period of American literature. Boring, unenlightening prose; paper thin heroic characters that are always escaping from impossible situations in ridiculously implausible ways. Then half of them die in the end. What, did their stupidly insane luck just run out? Whatever, fuck you Fenimore Cooper, you suck. Consistency? It works well as a fantasy novel, rather than historical fiction, but that doesn't change the fact that it's boring as fuck.

Also I remembered the movie being great from childhood but watching it again yesterday it kind of sucks. Beautifully shot; it just grabs a bunch of random scenes from the book, distorts and skims over them leaving you with nothing much resembling a coherent plot, or any depth to speak of. I think Daniel Day-Lewis and Madeleine Stowe are brilliant in it, but it falls back on every hollywood cliche in the book and totally character assassinates Duncan and Munro.

Anyway, bought a Louis De Bernieres novel today not realising it was the second in a trilogy so have ordered the others off the internet and will have to await for their arrival to tackle the series.

So, also grabbed an Umberto Eco novel, The Name of the Rose and have started it. Great so far and I love the premise. Some guy finds a one in existence historical manuscript detailing life of a Benedectine monk, makes a bunch of translation notes, then loses the book breaking up with his girlfriend. Haha and he's too pansy to ask for it back:

"By now the Vallet novel volume itself could not be recovered (or at least I didn't dare go ask for it back from the person who had taken it from me)."

So he decides to take liberties and publish it from his memory and notes.

If it's anything like the other Eco books I've read I'm sure it's going to twist my brain into knots when I try to read it late at night or hungover. Which is a good thing, he writes amazingly.

just finished Music for chameleons, a collection of later stories and writings by Truman Capote. really liked a couple of stories...esp 'a days work' where capote accompanies a pot smoking domestic cleaner around on her days work

and then i read half of capote's letters - Too brief a treat - but didn't find them all that interesting

GREENPEACE: How a Group of Ecologists, Journalists and Visionaries Changed the World

it's by Rex Weyler.

just ripped through the first chapter about nuclear and atomic testing, very interesting and at the same time depressing how humans can destroy others.

^I read that not so long ago, I actually learnt quite a few things about Greenpeace I didn't know previously, good read.

Just started Chronicles of TAO by Deng Ming-Dao.

Should be something I'll like, I read the introduction last night and then I fell asleep. Hence, waking up at 4am this morning. ugh.

Synopsis from back cover:
NSFW:
Synopsis:
An extraordinary spiritual odyssey of the making of the Taoist master Kwan Saihung. Born into a wealthy family in a remote province of China, Kwan defies his parents wishes and enters into the rigorous and mysterious discipline of Taoist practice. Renamed "Little Butterfly" by his Taoist masters, he survives the upheaval of the Japanese occupation, and later the Chinese revolution, all the while becoming adept in the Taoist arts. Eventually his inner and outer journey lead him to America, where he became a Golden Gloves boxer and martial arts instructor.

Part adventure, part parable, Chronicles of Tao travels through a labyrinth of enigmatic Taoist practice, martial arts discipline, and international adventure.

A Scanner Darkly - Philip K. Dick

Being a former self-confessed drug-fiend, shovelling down every substance known to man, I can't believe it's taken me so long to start reading this! =D

Almost at the end of "To the victor the spoils" Sean Longden. Its about WWII and how the war was from the soldiers perspectives-all the bad things they did and how they coped. Interesting read to see how it really was.

Just started "DMT-The Spirit Molecule" Rick Straussman. Clinical trials using DMT.

dracula.. its boring as fuck tbh, apart from the first chapter/diary entry, w/e you want to call it.. though i'm only half way through

reading cell by stephen king as well, top knotch ;)

I'm reading Scarecrow by Matthew Reilly. Mindless million mile an hour action. I don't think I'll read another one of his after this, I'm a bit over it.

I finally got myself a copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas last week so that's my next book. I ended up just buying a new one cos I'd been looking for it 2nd hand for years and never found it. It seems everyone wants to keep their Fear and Loathing :p

fear and loathing has to be my favourite book, i always pick it up and read a few pages if i'm bored shitless, read it about 13 times and i haven't stopped reading it since i bought it. i'm a bit obsessed with (almost) all of hst's work :)

actually, i think ill re-read the rum diaries after i'm done with these two. thanks for the idea :D

A Scanner Darkly - Philip K. Dick

Being a former self-confessed drug-fiend, shovelling down every substance known to man, I can't believe it's taken me so long to start reading this! =D

Yep awesome book - the film's not bad either; captures the feel well I believe.

I just finished Anathem by Neal Stephenson. It was fun. I finished it pretty quick considering it is close to 1000 pages 8o

And started The Hidden Brain - non-fiction about the influence of our subconscious on our actions - good so far

I just finished Hunter S Thompson's Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail. Its about the Democrat presidential campaign in '72. It had one or two amusing anecdotes in there but was often a bit depressing and tedious. I am not really that interested in the details of American politics but it did enlighten me somewhat as to just how cynical and unscrupulous it gets.

I was in exactly the same situation of trying to find Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas in the second hand book shop but settled for "On the campaign trail". And now back to the second hand shop with ye...

Now starting "The Bookseller of Kabul"by Åsne Seierstad

Last edited: