• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

"Dialect? You'd have found dialect positively attractive, my young Parisian, spoken in that tearful, sing-song voice and coming from that mouth under the red hood that hid her forehead and ears. All you could see was a little pink nose and two cheeks like velvety peaches—even the cold didn't take the colour out of them! To blazes with dialect!"

The Fool series by Christopher Moore. But mainly listening to the audiobooks rather than reading. Very very clever. Very, very funny.

Recently finished:

Damned, Chuck Palahniuk - 4 stars - My fourth by the author (having previously read Fight Club, Haunted and Invisible Monsters (Remix)). Really liked everything I have by him so far.

The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde - 3.5 stars - I really like the way Wilde writes and while the concept here is great, the execution was a little lackluster. I did enjoy reading this, but I felt the story could have been more eventful in terms of Dorian's increasing moral corruption - although I understand that at the time, society was incredibly prudish and conservative and it would be unrealistic to expect graphic violence or sex scenes; I believe Oscar was STILL brought up on obscenity charges for this novel as it is - and the picture itself was less involved than I'd imagined: we only got a couple of descriptions of the changes in it. I'd have liked to have read about it's skin yellowing from alcohol, it's nose rotting off from syphilis etc. I liked it, though. I was disappointed to learn this was the authors only novel.

Loch Ness, Matt Shaw - 3 stars - Meh. Usually love this guys novella's but this was very average and disappointing to me.

Metamorphosis, Franz Kafka - 4.5 stars - really loved this! Great concept and actually made me really think about what I'd do in his family's situation. Certainly have a lot more empathy! With the exception of his sisters' initial reaction, all of their attitudes pissed me off.

Currently reading The Double by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ram Dass -Still Here and Zolar`s -The Encyclopedia of Ancient and Forbidden Knowledge. interesting enough for me

Last edited:
The Great Hunt ~ Robert Jordan

Second book in "the wheel of time" series, it is a fantastic set of books and I couldn't recommend it higher to any fantasy reader. Up there with George R R Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series or Terry Goodkinds "Sword of Truth" series...I'm a junkie for Epic Fantasy 😎

in a dark, dark wood by Ruth Ware (fiction)

I like to have a nonfiction book going too:

A History of Private Life, Volume 1 (translation French to English. I always wonder(ed) what life was like for “regular people” throughout history going wayyy back.

I stumbled on five volumes and splurged and bought them.

in a dark, dark wood by Ruth Ware (fiction)

I like to have a nonfiction book going too:

A History of Private Life, Volume 1 (translation French to English. I always wonder(ed) what life was like for “regular people” throughout history going wayyy back.

I stumbled on five volumes and splurged and bought them.
Oh! And King Leopold II’s Ghost on my Kindle. Nonfiction about the devastation by a Belgian king …. concerning indigenous people of the Congo especially during the period of 1890-1910.

Can’t recall the American author but there is an introduction by Barbara Kingsolver.

So, yes a Kindle book, too. The End 😂 Maggie

^ Adam Hochschild is the author. And you're right, it is a worthwhile read...it's regarded as kind of a classic work on that particular subject (Belgian colonialism in the Congo), and would probably be included in the historiography of European colonialism in Africa

He did another more recent work that I thought was intriguing too called "Rebel Cinderella" about Rose Pastor Stokes, an interesting Progressive Era figure

Constant swore. One of the vital pieces of information that had disappeared with Rumfoord and died with Salo was how they had managed, in their time, to keep the pool so crystal clean.

Rules of Civility Amore Towles
American Dirt Jennie Cummins
Absolutely love Towles.. absolutely major author.

American Dirt is a very powerful story of drug prohibition’s destruction of South and Central America woven from personal graspable organic yarn. Great work.

We are suspicious of a stranger who tells us his life story, who tells us spontaneously that he has been captured, sentenced to life imprisonment, and that we are his reason for living. We are afraid that he is merely tricking us into buying a fountain pen or a bottle with a miniature sailing vessel inside.