• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

What are you currently reading? v2

Hmmmm, I've just been given Dead Elvis by Greil Marcus

"In life, Elvis Presley went from childhood poverty to stardom, from world fame to dissipation and early death. As Greil Marcus shows, Presley's journey after death takes him even further, pushing him beyond his own frontiers to merge with the American public consciousness - and the American subconscious. As he listens in on the public conversation that recreates Elvis after death, Marcus tracks the path of Presley's resurrection. He grafts together scattered fragments of the eclectic dialogue and shows what this strange obsession with a dead Elvis can tell us about America itself. "
Yep Elvis is a real part of the American Dream/Nightmare

Oh and re Castaneda ^, Castaneda was proven to have been prone to flights of fancy and overexaggeration, a bit of a bullshitter. I read a load of his books when I was 19, 20 even though they get a bit boring after the first couple...in the end just flicked through for the druggy bits...entertaining stuff, but not to be taken as documentary fact ;)

Had heard that, but as you say, the druggy bits are nuts.. never had a outer space trip, but I reckon if I do, it'll be DMT.. love reading people's experiences tho'

I'm not a big reader in the slightest, to the extent that the last book I read was for my GCSE's I think! My Dad bought me this book though for Christmas and I can't put it down, it's fantastic.

It's called Gang War by Peter Walsh. It's all true stories about gang culture in Manchester. Some of the things that went on are unbelievable. If someone wants an interesting and different read I would defiantly recommend it and I'm only 30 pages in!

I mean the stories in there are extreme by anyone's standards, but what really hit home to me was e ages of the people doing Hess sick and disturbing things, they are all (well the majority) in their late teens / early twenties.... These people are younger than me, they are kids doing these things.

A very hard hitting book, worth a read. I'd be interested to see if anyone else has read this or intends to.

Oh, here is a link with. Further description and two reviews: -

http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Gang_War.html?id=U2R4NwAACAAJ

Another 1p book on Amazon Marketplace (well, £2.81 with delivery).. added to Wish List

On my xmas Kindle I am reading The Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee. A social history of cancer.

My father has been struck down by cancer in the last couple of months - now recovering from a nasty operation and waiting to get poisoned in an attempt to arrest the already spreading malignancy...

Unlike my father, who seems content to remain cocooned in ignorance, I'm devouring all I can on the subject.

Fidel & Che by By Simon Reid Henry.

Drawing on sources in Cuba, Latin America, the United States, Europe, and Russia, and on material not available to previous biographers, Simon Reid-Henry has crafted a compelling portrait of a revolutionary era and the two men whose names and deeds personify it: Fidel Castro and Che Guevara. What began as an association of convenience would fundamentally shape their political visions, propelling them further than either had dared imagine. Ironically, though, their jointly conceived vision of revolution would ultimately force them to choose between friendship and their beliefs.

At a momentous turning point in Cuban history, Simon Reid-Henry offers a fascinating and original chronicle of two of the most powerful personalities in recent memory.

Shits good! %)

Stuff about Castaneda being a bullshitter

Had heard that, but as you say, the druggy bits are nuts.. never had a outer space trip, but I reckon if I do, it'll be DMT.. love reading people's experiences tho'

I have recently (four or five years ago) come down from a long Castaneda-induced hallucinogenic experience. I read all his books. I didn't skim them, I pondered each paragraph and thought about each chapter for hours after finishing them. He didn't do DMT. I don't think he ever claimed to have done DMT. The two things I remember that he was specific about doing were Peyote (main active component being mescaline) and Jimson weed (active components being atropine, hyoscyamine and scopolamine). Then there was humito, the little smoke, which was described as containing a mushroom, amongst other things, but people report that you can't smoke mushrooms. I haven't tried.

I found his writing immensely seductive, engaging, imaginative and entertaining. The ideas seemed hugely profound and original. However I keep finding writings from people who wrote years, decades or centuries before him which prefigure his ideas. The reason his ideas seemed original to me was that I had not read the authors he stole ideas from. On occasion the plagiarism goes beyond the conceptual and becomes verbatim. I do not have references and I can't be bothered looking for them, so I'll apologise for that now. It's feasible he also used ideas from some native american cultures that he worked with, it's also feasible he made stuff up.

The narrative in his work follows a couple of sharp bends. The first is where the writing moves from a scientific, anthropological style to that of a travelogue or adventurer's diary. I think this is where he realised he could make money writing books for drugged up hippies. The second turn is where he seems to throw everything away and focus on tensegrity, his system of bodily movement ("magical passes"), akin to Tai Chi. I think this ties in with his realisation that he could charge people huge fees to come to workshops, and then have sex with the attendees.

I conclude he was a charlatan and his books should be read for pure fantasy value if at all. I would not say I lost years of my life because of him but I did say stupid things to people, that I regret, thanks to taking his words seriously.

It would be better to read the Greeks, Marx and/or the Situationists if one wishes to embark on a philosophical journey. It would be best to read them all! But always read critically, never believe.

I have recently (four or five years ago) come down from a long Castaneda-induced hallucinogenic experience. I read all his books. I didn't skim them, I pondered each paragraph and thought about each chapter for hours after finishing them. He didn't do DMT. I don't think he ever claimed to have done DMT. The two things I remember that he was specific about doing were Peyote (main active component being mescaline) and Jimson weed (active components being atropine, hyoscyamine and scopolamine). Then there was humito, the little smoke, which was described as containing a mushroom, amongst other things, but people report that you can't smoke mushrooms. I haven't tried..

I did mention those 3 in my previous post - I was just trying to say that if I was going to try to break on through to the other side, it would be with DMT - the ones Castaneda used seem to me to involve too long or too scary of a trip.. I reckon the DMT experience is the one that would suit me best, having read some stuff on it...

...I conclude he was a charlatan and his books should be read for pure fantasy value if at all. I would not say I lost years of my life because of him but I did say stupid things to people, that I regret, thanks to taking his words seriously.

It would be better to read the Greeks, Marx and/or the Situationists if one wishes to embark on a philosophical journey. It would be best to read them all! But always read critically, never believe.

Good advice - I always do that anyways, but that's not to say that made-up stuff necessarily has no value - James Frey's A Million Little Pieces was exaggerated and partially fabricated, but it worked as a piece of writing...

I did mention those 3 in my previous post - I was just trying to say that if I was going to try to break on through to the other side, it would be with DMT - the ones Castaneda used seem to me to involve too long or too scary of a trip.. I reckon the DMT experience is the one that would suit me best, having read some stuff on it...

Yeah I didn't actually scroll back far enough to read that post! I was on 3-MeO-PCP and saw an opportunity to have a rant and took it. Sorry!

Good advice - I always do that anyways, but that's not to say that made-up stuff necessarily has no value - James Frey's A Million Little Pieces was exaggerated and partially fabricated, but it worked as a piece of writing...

True (the principle, I've not read Frey). But made-up shit also fucks people's lives up - Castaneda, L. Ron Hubbard, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Joseph Smith, Jr, Kylie Minogue, etc.

Last edited:
I'm on a reading buzz at the minute - usually chew through the books in the winter months as I don't really watch TV...
Keeping at least 2 books on the go at once just now.. if I'm reading something heavy, I like to have something light on the side...

Just finished a biography of the musician James Taylor

Long Ago and Far Away by Timothy White

I fucking love James Taylor - sure some of his stuff is throwaway middle of the road pop, but he got some amazing stuff too - amazing guitarist and unique singer - it's all about his restraint and his phrasing.. saw him recently with his band - equally gifted musicians who know what's left out is as important as what's left in...

He had a very interesting life too - signed by The Beatles, Heroin addiction, mental institutions, played with the likes of Neil Young (he played the banjo on Old Man), troubled family life with addiction a constant theme etc...

The book is good, but a bit rich on detail of his family history for the casual reader...

No, just say what you mean please!
Head-First-C1.jpg

Got a few hours to kill this morning so I'm about to make a start on Frankie Boyle's Work! Consume! Die! Not really a huge fan of the bloke but I got it as a Christmas gift.

I would keep a book like that situated in the bathroom to only be used as a toilet book!!

I would keep a book like that situated in the bathroom to only be used as a toilet book!!

If it's anything like that Tramadol Nights it's probably best situated in my bin. I have to seem as if I'm vaguely interested in it though just in case she brings it up in a convo. Too nice for my own good sometimes! :\