• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

What antidepressant can I go on and still be able to roll?

mightyhedgehog

Greenlighter
I posted this in a couple other subforums but so far haven't gotten many responses. I'm sorry if this doesn't belong here and I understand if it gets removed.

I currently take:

quetiapine/seroquel XR: 150mg per night
sertraline/zoloft: 100mg per night
alprazolam/xanax: 0.25mg as needed or 1mg as needed (I've never needed to take 1mg because the quetiapine works better than other antipsychotics I was on at the time and my psychiatrist prescribed the 1mg as a "break glass in case of emergency" thing while I was making the switch to quetiapine)

So I've been able to successfully roll on MDMA while on quetiapine but now that I've added sertraline I cannot roll anymore. I found the thread about different antidepressants and their interactions with various recreational drugs and it said that SSRIs pretty much nullify the effects of MDMA which is what happened with me.

So, I would like to know what antidepressant I could switch to so that I can still enjoy MDMA. I've looked into bupropion/wellbutrin but since the quetiapine already increases the risk of seizures I'm kind of scared to add bupropion. I'm not prone to seizures at all, I've never had one in my life and I have no known family history of seizures or related disorders, so I don't really know how risky it is to combine these prescriptions for me. Is it a concern if I'm not prone to seizures? I also know that MAOIs are a big no-no with pretty much any other drug so obviously I'm not going to look at those. I want to get high, not die.

Anyway, I'm only looking to change my antidepressant, I like quetiapine, I've tried like 6 or 7 other antipsychotics and quetiapine is the only one that works for me with minimal side effects. So I'm only looking to switch out the sertraline for something I can still party on. Also, please do not tell me to stop recreational drug use until I can get off the meds. I know it's sound advice, I know I'm being reckless because I want to continue using party drugs while on medications for mental health disorders. I know what I'm doing is bad. Shame on me. I want to get high every now and then, I'm sure most of you can empathize with that.

So tell me, what antidepressant have you been able to roll successfully on?

Switch to Wellbutrin it's an ndri and does not effect the serotonin there fore doesn't mess with your roll

@kush407smoke my worry with Wellbutrin is that it carries an increased risk of seizure and my quetiapine also carries that risk so the interaction checker on drugs.com says it's a major risk. And adding MDMA to that mix also increases the risk. Like I said, I've never had a seizure before and I'm not prone to them so I really don't know if it's that risky for me. Do you think that would be a concern for someone like me not prone to seizures?

No I wouldn't worry I take Wellbutrin and seroquel I've tripped on shrooms haven't done MDMA on them yet but I'm going to within the next 10 days I feel like in today's day every pill has possible seziures as a side effect

This is just my opinion n I tend to be a bit reckless

But like I take lithium carbonate, Wellbutrin,and Seroquel

When I trip on shrooms I gotta stop taking Seroquel cuz it's an antiphycotic

I've done MDMA mda meth heroin on Seroquel and lithium carbonate

But like I said just my opinion

Last edited:
@kush407smoke What dosages are you taking with wellbutrin and seroquel? Also, let me know how your roll goes. Will you stop taking your meds before you roll or you're just gonna take em as normal?

No I'm gonna just continue to take my meds as normal I ain't worried bout no interaction

I take wellbutrin xl 150mg
Seroquel 450mg
Lithium carbonate 1350mg

N I think you'll be okay to roll just don't take the sertraline for a week to be safe its an ssri and will cause major issues including the dreaded serotonin syndrome besides that I wouldn't take any Xanax the day of as it might cause the roll to not be as intense

I'm honestly scared to skip the sertraline dose for a week because last time I stopped my antidepressant cold turkey I became extremely suicidal and wound up in the hospital so I'm hesitant to come off of it even for a week. That's why I'd much rather switch my med to something I can take regularly and still party on.

When you roll I'd like to know the details, how much you took and how it felt. Wellbutrin sounds like it might be the one!

Aside from the fact that adding another drug into an already fairly hefty regimen of medication adds its own risks (no judgement - I’m epileptic and combine xyz123 number of contraindicated drugs with my meds!), then I would drop the SSRI if I wanted the best roll I could have.

However, As far as I understand, they have a lengthy half-life, so they’d need to be dropped pretty far in advance... EDIT - which could be horrendous, I’ve seen my wife try to come off Sertraline and it was so tough to see her suffer

If someone has already said this, I apologise - I’m contraindications my own epilepsy with a vast amount of cocaine!

I hope everything goes well and you roll safely and enjoyably!

If that's the case I wouldn't recommend it see I take lithium so that keep me pretty even kil I honestly just take Wellbutrin as an extra precaution honestly what I notice most about Wellbutrin is that it makes it where I have literally no appetite

What ever you do do not combine ssri or sdri or snri with MDMA you will regret it
Anything that works on serotonin is a big no no when doin mdma

@MuseEPDBluesRepeat If and when I come off the sertraline I'm gonna go super slow so hopefully the withdrawal symptoms don't hit me as much.

@kush407smoke too late for that, I already tried rolling on the sertraline and the only thing that makes me regret it is that I wasted so much product! I didn't get serotonin syndrome or anything, I'm all good. The no appetite thing sounds great because antipsychotics make me gain weight like crazy.

@jose ribas da silva come off your high horse, bud.

Switch to Wellbutrin it's an ndri and does not effect the serotonin there fore doesn't mess with your roll

I rolled on Wellbutrin and it absolutely impacted the roll. Didn’t kill it like an SSRI but changed it significantly and wasn’t anywhere near as good.

OP - there aren’t any. On top of that if you’re on those drugs then there’s a reason and using MDMA is only going to exacerbate any conditions you’re being treated for with those meds.

Can you use it? Sure. Should you with that med list? No.

I rolled on Wellbutrin and it absolutely impacted the roll. Didn’t kill it like an SSRI but changed it significantly and wasn’t anywhere near as good.

OP - there aren’t any. On top of that if you’re on those drugs then there’s a reason and using MDMA is only going to exacerbate any conditions you’re being treated for with those meds.

Can you use it? Sure. Should you with that med list? No.

Well I tripped on shrooms on Wellbutrin it was a normal tripn in a few days i plan to roll and do ketamine so I'll let you know what I think I suspect my roll will be just as normal as before
Btw I've tripped on shrooms 100+ times
I havta quit taking Seroquel to trip but I plan on taking all 3 of my medications when I roll on x I've done mda and that worked perfectly

The key here is everyone reacts different know yourself and know your mind

Last edited:
Well I tripped on shrooms on Wellbutrin it was a normal tripn in a few days i plan to roll and do ketamine so I'll let you know what I think I suspect my roll will be just as normal as before
Btw I've tripped on shrooms 100+ times
I havta quit taking Seroquel to trip but I plan on taking all 3 of my medications when I roll on x I've done mda and that worked perfectly

The key here is everyone reacts different know yourself and know your mind

Yeah wellbutrin won’t change the mushroom experience because there’s no major change in dopamine or release/agonism.

If you’ve ever used Adderall on wellbutrin you know that the effects are much different and the effect of Adderall is typically extended although severely blunted - for the same reason rolling on an SSRI won’t work.

Sure, you’ll still feel like you’re rolling due to the 5HT release but dopamine is still a huge part of the experience with MDMA and wellbutrin drastically changes it’s kinetics.

And yes, everyone is very different. However MDMA is going to impact mood stability and I wouldn’t ever want someone on those meds using MDMA personally (former pharmacy student and future medical school student as of next year). Nothing against rolling but it does cause changes over time that won’t be beneficial for people with similar med lists

I
Yeah wellbutrin won’t change the mushroom experience because there’s no major change in dopamine or release/agonism.
If you’ve ever used Adderall on wellbutrin you know that the effects are much different and the effect of Adderall is typically extended although severely blunted - for the same reason rolling on an SSRI won’t work.

Sure, you’ll still feel like you’re rolling due to the 5HT release but dopamine is still a huge part of the experience with MDMA and wellbutrin drastically changes it’s kinetics.

And yes, everyone is very different. However MDMA is going to impact mood stability and I wouldn’t ever want someone on those meds using MDMA personally (former pharmacy student and future medical school student as of next year). Nothing against rolling but it does cause changes over time that won’t be beneficial for people with similar med lists

Its funny you mention that I'm prescribed 2 30mg xr Adderall I don't normally take them I normally sell my script but sometimes I take a couple and I notice no difference I'm about to be put on Phentermine as well so we will see how that goes n so are you saying doing heroin on Wellbutrin will diminish the effects of the heroin because it works on dopamine???? I know for a fact that's not the case
Dosage for mdma
50-100mg for starters
100-150mg for the average user
150-200mg for the non sensitive (to speed and mdma)
200-300+mg only for the most exspierienced person

Just cuz you weigh more doesn't mean you need more I've seen 300 lb men roll hard on 150mg

You clearly didn’t read what I said or understand the mechanism at all. It doesn’t block all dopamine effects, I said it drastically changes the kinetics which it does and which just about anyone using the two (Adderall and wellbutrin specially) will tell you.

The primary mechanism of heroin isn’t on dopamine so that’s more or less irrelevant.

Heroin definitely works on dopamine

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191119-142356.png
    Screenshot_20191119-142356.png
    139.5 KB · Views: 3
To me what it sounds like you're saying is that anything that works on dopamine in any way will be tainted while taking Wellbutrin and that's just simply not true some people will even tell you it increases the effects