• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What am I likely to be given for sleep in Australia?

Biak12345

Greenlighter
Hi so Im experiencing A LOT of trouble sleeping properly, getting to sleep, staying asleep, getting back to sleep and waking up anywhere between 2 and 4am everyday, I want to see a doctor about it to see what they reccomend, its really starting to effect my daily funcionality and I cant take any more, I know my local medical centre seems to be strict on prescriptions and Im from Australia, so I was wondering what are they likely to give me if anything at all? I also have depression and high levels of anxiety if that helps at all, thanks.

If you have depression and high levels of anxiety then have a talk to your treating doctor/psychiatrist and tell them about the problems you are having. They will be the best person to treat you and work out a plan with you as they know your circumstances.

Depends where you are in Australia... but you'll probably get Fernergan (soz, the spelling is a bit shady) or Tamazapam. I'm a hoodrat, prescription junkie so I totally know my sleeping pills... but no matter how hard I try, the docs wont give me no vals (I've tried so hard weh).

So yeah, probably Tamazapam. It's a low dose benzo and it'll wipe you straight out if you don't abuse them. I've got two left in my cupboard from a few weeks ago when I got a prescription for them. But the Docs don't like to treat sleeping problems with medication as it's highly addictive and you'll actually end up relying on the stuff to sleep. So maybe one script and then you'll have to start looking at other options.

I hope I gave you at least a bit of information on what you could possibly get - like I said, I've tried so hard to get anything good out of the doctors and they're always so hard (even when they DONT know about my drug abuse)...

Stay safe and I hope you sleep well soon. xx

Having been through benzo addiction, i wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
I've had some pretty devastating, long term sleep issues myself - and have had no benefit from medication, except in very exceptional cases.
The one good experience i've had with medication was very careful use of melatonin (combined with a night or two of benzos) to help re-set my circadian rhythm, but that was a very particular sleep disorder, and may not be useful for at all.

Also, at the time, melatonin was not on the PBS, so it was very expensive. That may have changed since then (2012ish i think?).

But really, the fact that benzos are hard to get scripted isn't all bad, in the sense that they are really dangerous drugs, addictive and perhaps linked to dementia (according some studies in recent years - nothing definitive as far as i know - but still...).

In my opinion they should be an option available to people, but only really used as a last resort.
If you have chronic sleep problems, it may be a result of something else going on in your life - and drugs like benzodiazepines can make this worse, not better.

There are some pretty decent teas out there, if you havent explored things like mulungu, passionflower, valerian, chamomile etc, some people have really good results with them.
I find mulungu especially helpful, even after a period of heavy benzo use and lifelong insomnia :)

I hope you can resolve it somehow - sleep problems really fucking suck.

Seroquel is given for sleep disorders. I also know someonw given halcyon for short term use.

You will be given a stern look, and tedious questions, arousing suspicion of being outed as a shopper. And finally, to top it off, you are given shitty off-label seroquel, or another anti-psychotic.

Might as well start practicing meditation, and try plants like Valerian root(night) and green tea early (morning). Also a combination of cardio and resistance training to top the receptors/endocrine system off.

I was prescribed Circadin earlier this year. It's a slow release melatonin sleeping pill.

I would recommend it, however it doesn't help you get to sleep, but it does help giving you proper cycles once you sleep. My problem was I would wake up every 90mins-2hours and wasn't able to get proper sleeps.
It's not addictive and I experienced almost no side affects. and they gave me 2 prescriptions for 30 days each. I only ended up needing to use 1.

A main side affect is vivid dreams, and they could be rather intense. I had a dream that I pretty much lived a day and a half went through a bunch of shit and then woke up only to realise none of it had happened. This was about 3-4 months ago and I STILL remember some of those dreams accurately, arguably more accurately then my regular memory.

Other then that, it was really helpful and definitely helped with my insomnia/sleep patterns/fatigue.

My guess is an ssri. An attempt to reduce your depression & anxiety as obv the Dr will deduce from your history that's what is disrupting your sleep. Some can also induce drowsiness.

As above, melatonin, cardio,-but not closer then 6hrs to your bedtime. Teach sleep hygiene, ie; regular bed/wake times, relaxation techniques, perhaps even a referral to a sleep clinic where a cardiologist attatches all sorts of wires & machines to you brain & body & monitors you overnight.

Expensive & useless though if like myself, you suffer from insomnia when away from home...

At best, Mogodon. That's the strongest sleeper avail here in OZ.

Have you tried night-time mersyndol? Or cold/flu tablets (night)?

Tell us how you go,

Rtp

Promethazine is OTC in Australia. I use it to sleep at least several nights per week. It is somewhat effective at keeping me asleep, not all that effective at initiating it.

My GP prescribes me temazepam monthly, but I do not use them to sleep, I just eat them for shits n giggles. In my own experience, benzos completely wreaked (wrought?) havoc on my sleeping. Even after years off them I get odd sleep disturbances, incredible sweating, twitches, startling awake. I like the funny effect of benzos but I only use them (in relatively high doses) by day for 3-4 in a row and then stop. GHB can help me too, but your not going to be prescribed that.

I have been prescribed zolpidem (Stillnox), zopiclone (Immovane), Seroquel and agomelatine (melotonergic antidepressant apprently) for sleep in Aus. Doctors are of course hesitant to prescribe stuff that actually works, and usually its a small script. I understand the caution.

Besides promethazine, I've used doxylamine succinate successfully too. Sedating antihistamines lose their efficiency though, and promethazine has very odd side effects. I used to take it every night and decided to stop and had a very difficult week or two where I was unreasonable anxious, could hardly sleep, was restless and nauseated and depressed. I think its quite powerful and should only be used sparingly. 50mg is useful for keeping me asleep, as I said, but it can cause restlessness and odd physical sensations (like having liquid on one's skin constantly- best way I can describe it). It gave me heart palpitations too. It feels dirty but would keep me down.

Try some herbal formulas - I've honestly found they work better than any of the sleep pills doctors prescribe. The best is a formula called "Zonk" which contains sculcap, hops, celandine and blue lotus, one capsule of that has me asleep within an hour every time. I've also tried some ayurvedic formulas which work pretty well. Valerian, on the other hand, didn't do a damn thing, I suspect it's overhyped.

Herbs + daily exercise + some basic dietary changes (don't eat for 2 hours before sleep, no caffeine after midday, etc) + some basic meditation training to help you learn to ease your mind into a more relaxed state will do far more for you than anything a doctor can prescribe. That said even all of that will only do so much if you don't deal with the underlying anxiety and depression, for which you probably need to shop around to find a decent therapist and figure out what's going on there.

I'd give you a very tame Koala Bear that will snug up with you when'st you're tired and will be your security bear forever and you'll become life long friends!!

What's a koala bear?
If they're as vicious as koalas, i wouldn't want to snuggle with one. They look cuddly, but they'd kill your whole family, given half the chance.

I always imagined B9 as a snuggly little koala :) Though without the family killing vibe.