Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Wes Anderson a genius?

As I said before I haven't seen Fantastic Mr. Fox yet, and I know you said it was your favorite film of his, so let me ask you: What did you like most about the movie?

sorry guys i didnt really mean genius in the true sense of the word

i guess i just mean I think he's an exceptional director 8)

fantastic mr fox was a great film for its genre

Yes, you can blame the dictionary for being wrong about Wes' status. :)

Is Wes Anderson a man of distinctive vision, character and spirit: yes, would be the obvious and factual answer.

Like Einstein, Wes Anderson IS a GENIUS. Why, you say. Well, not only does the dictionary clearly define him as one, but if you think about what a genius is, and no i'm not talking about the quintessential stereotype most have of the "mathematics nerd".
Point is, there are several qualities that make a genius and you can have one or all of them and be a genius. Einstein is renowned for his theories about our universe but what makes him a genius is the distinct thought-process, the way, the vision, that he utilized to create such grandiose, yet plausible, theories; theories that he formulated using his IMAGINATION! Because of these things he is unique; because of this distinction of thought process, he is a genius.

In the same vein, NO ONE had done, or has done to this point, what Wes Anderson can do in his field, that makes him a distinctive visionary, i.e., genius.

:)

Last edited:
he's great, maybe not a genius.

Bottle Rocket and Life Aquatic were comedic gold.

Darjeeling was horrible, I know kill me...

Dictionary definitions of the word Genius:

1.an exceptional natural capacity of intellect, especially as shown in creative and original work in science, art, music, etc.: the genius of Mozart.

2.a person having such capacity.

5.distinctive character or spirit, as of a nation, period, or language.

Does Wes Anderson fit this criteria? Why...yes! Yes, he does.

And, when you consider that HE writes, directs, and produces his movies it becomes quite clear that the complete vision is his own creation.

Last edited:
One of my top 5 favorite directors. The only films of his that aren't masterpieces, IMO, are Bottle Rocket and Fantastic Mr. Fox. The Royal Tenenbaums, The Darjeeling Limited, Rushmore & The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou are all perfect films, IMO.

Impacto said:
cute movies, but genius..... erm why?

There is originality in his characters and narrative structure. He's stylish obviously but also he is capable of creating situations that are both absurdly comical and deeply moving. Although his films from a certain angle are 'cute' they are also working on a number of different levels.

I was blown away by 'Rushmore'. It was the first Wes Anderson film I ever saw.

It's (relatively) easy to make a successfully moving film about a young man, who is quite intelligent, coming of age in a public school environment. It's also (relatively) easy to make a comedy in the public school environment. To do both, on the other hand, especially in an original and stylish way, is quite an accomplishment.

Wes Anderson paints wildly eccentric, yet believable, characters in absurd situations but his stories don't rely on absurdity. There is genuine heart in his characters, layers of subtext to each story. Even when he makes commercially viable films, 'sell out films', like Fantastic Mr. Fox, he still doesn't compromise. He makes a bizarre children's film in his own unique adult style and it works.

Why don't you think he's a genius?

he is a solid director, and i really do enjoy his work. he's one of the few. but i think he relies too heavily on his modern-retro style and cute schtique. he is talented and clever, no doubt. i just have reluctance with throwing around the gee word.

he is talented and clever, no doubt. i just have reluctance with throwing around the gee word.

Fair enough, so do I. As I said he's one of my top 5. (gee word, lol) :)