• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Wellbutrin XL for ADHD...

TacticalBongRip

Bluelighter
Last month I visited the psychiatrist for the first time. I was seeking a medication to help me focus, mostly for school but as well as other tasks around the house that I tend to flake out on.

Anyway, the doc gave me a 1 month sample of wellbutrin XL 150mg. The main things I noticed about it where I had trouble sleeping the first week, and when I did sleep I had the most bizarre and yet extremely vivid and clear dreams. I actually liked the side effect that it had on my dreams. Besides that, at time I seemed to be more focused on tasks, while other times I didn't notice any increased motivation and remember feeling just plain strange.

This brings me to my next question, which is, would I be better off getting a script for adderrall? I've tried it in the past and noticed a big jump in energy levels and thought process. I'm just not sure how to tell the Doc that I'd rather be on adderall than wellbutrin ((especially after reading some of the possible longterm side effects and withdrawals involved with wellbutrin) without looking like I'm just some drug fiend.

Any thoughts?

ps- my appointment is in about 40 minutes so fast replies would be highly appreciable =)

TacticalBongRip said:
Last month I visited the psychiatrist for the first time. I was seeking a medication to help me focus, mostly for school but as well as other tasks around the house that I tend to flake out on.

Anyway, the doc gave me a 1 month sample of wellbutrin XL 150mg. The main things I noticed about it where I had trouble sleeping the first week, and when I did sleep I had the most bizarre and yet extremely vivid and clear dreams. I actually liked the side effect that it had on my dreams. Besides that, at time I seemed to be more focused on tasks, while other times I didn't notice any increased motivation and remember feeling just plain strange.

This brings me to my next question, which is, would I be better off getting a script for adderrall? I've tried it in the past and noticed a big jump in energy levels and thought process. I'm just not sure how to tell the Doc that I'd rather be on adderall than wellbutrin ((especially after reading some of the possible longterm side effects and withdrawals involved with wellbutrin) without looking like I'm just some drug fiend.

Any thoughts?

ps- my appointment is in about 40 minutes so fast replies would be highly appreciable =)

I would just inform your psychiatrist about the side effects, and let him/her know how well it is working. Asking for a specific drug is always a bad idea, you will have to let them suggest it.

do you have an ADD or ADHD diagnosis? If you do switching between the meds is going to be easier. Wellbutrin is a pretty shitty med in my opinion, and the sleep problem is probably enough to get you switched onto another ADD med. He'll probably try you on strattera, which works for some people.

wellbutrin does nothing for my ADD...even at 450mg. a day. i take Dexedrine instead..both extended release and immediate release.
i tried adderall but didn't give me the boost i needed...adderall contains both right and left isomers of the amphetamine molecule. dexedrine contains only the right isomer which is more potent and seen as more euphoric. especially to people who don't have ADD...
yeah do not come out and say i want adderall....unless your doc. is like mine, loose with the RX pads.
i would ask others here on the boards first..but i would tell him wellbutrin does not seem to be working..and a lot of my friends have tried this...as far as other ADHD treatments go..i read somewhere that adderall seems to be the most prescribed and effective medication for ADHD, especially the extended release..

Ummm Wellbutrin is not the med I would use for ADHD, as it tends to act somewhat like cocaine. Not exactly the effect you want. It's excellent for certain depressions (like mine), but I don't think it's a good idea to give to anyone with anxiety or ADD.

You said the problem is being able to focus on things. I suggest this: http://www.nubrain.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=30 I tend to take one when I need to get a lot of things done around the house, it's excellent for keeping focus on mundane tasks. I don't know why it's not prescription as strong as it is, but it works extremely well.

Just to give an update... I told the doc I didnt feel much in the way of the wellbutrin and I didnt really like the fact that it was an anti-depressant so he scripted me for some Concerta 18mg to see how that goes. From all the research I've done it sounds like it may be just the thing I'm looking for but we shall see.

Gldm said:
Ummm Wellbutrin is not the med I would use for ADHD, as it tends to act somewhat like cocaine.

Methylphenidate works a lot more like cocaine, and it works well. Stimulants are generally the most effective treatment for ADHD.