• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Weird smells and sensations after getting off H?

toothpaste29

Greenlighter
(26 F) I've been getting weird smells (keep getting random scents of vinegar black Tar, and sickenly sweet smells ,can't really explain it it's just super bizarre) and feeling like nothing is real.. ever since I quit H and got prescribed Suboxone.. it's been nearly 4 months and these feelings keep coming and going randomly, did I possibly damage my brain with my drug use or is this normal?

Congrats on getting clean.

The smell and taste of black tar is something I still think about sometimes, and I haven't touched it for 13 years. Every time I smell BBQ sauce I think of heroin.

Derealization and dissociation is something that happens to me if I'm under extreme stress/anxiety. Or if I've been doing a lot of certain various drugs.

I think its very unlikely these are symptoms of drug induced brain damage, that generally manifests in other ways, and opioids generally do not cause brain damage (unless through overdose/hypoxia).

They are both normal-ish things to experience in recovery. It takes a long time to psychologically get over heroin.

Olfactory hallucinations (smells), and derealization/dissociation could potentially also be signs of something more serious, like a brain tumor, but I wouldn't worry about something like that too much. It may be worth visiting a doctor anyways if it doesn't go away or gets worse.