• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Weird question about half-life calculation.

wizardknight17

Bluelighter
So through various arguments it's generally believed to be approximately 4-6 half lives until a drug is out of your system (or at least a negligible amount). Assuming you took something like an IR oxy (half-life of 3.2 hours) and even under the assumption of 4 hours just to be safe 4 hours×6 half lives =24 hours. Now if you took only 1 single pill, at the same exact time every day would you still have withdrawal from it when stopping? I know the metabolites can show up for 3-5 days but I'm unsure if that just comes from stacking doses on top of each other or what. Anyone know the answer to this?

The metabolites are separate drugs or compounds that can hang around for different amounts of time depending on what drugs they are (for example, THC metabolites hang around in body fat for up to weeks. Ibogaine has a metabolite nor-ibogaine that is an active drug that hangs around for quite some time too). As far as half-life of the original drug, it just means it removes half the drug from your system in that time. So after the first half life your active dose it as 50%, then the second one it's at 25%, the third one it's at 12,5%, and so on. So 4-6 half lives is pretty accurate for essentially being all out of your system. If you take a lower dose, it takes less half-lives until the dose is so low you won't feel it anymore.

If you take one oxy pill per day at the same time, after long enough you'd get withdrawals. That really doesn't have anything to do with half-life, it's just that your receptors down-regulate and your body expects the drug to feel normal. It would take longer to develop dependence with only 1 pill vs just binging out, but if you do something daily and it's physically addictive, it's gonna get you after a while.

Awesome. Thanks shadow. This is just one of those weird thoughts that popped into my head. I understand the concept and half life in general pretty well. I couldn't figure out the other part though as it seemed like if all the medicine disappeared every day before taking the next one then you might never have withdrawal symptoms however it's just like the body does with metabolism. If you eat more your body starts to burn more. It tries to keep up by increasing metabolism but only works to a certain point. Same thing the other way. When you starve yourself your body will slow down its metabolism and actually start burning less calories every day which is why people who eat drastically low calories end up plateauing with weight loss after a while...
Sorry I kinda went off topic there. All I meant to say was I understand and it makes perfect sense and I probably would have never thought about it that way had you not said something. I have my answer. Thank you.

I'm prescribed Oxycodone and I usually start to feel the first signs of withdrawals 12 hours after my last dose. Oxycodone it's self has a half life of 4-6 hours but one of its active metabolites Noroxycodone has a longer half-life at around 8-10 hours. Most opioids are short-acting compounds and you will usually feel the withdrawals start after 12 hours. Except for Methadone and Buprenorphine which r the only long-acting opioids I can think of.

EDIT: Oh and Loperamide which is long acting. It's only useful in big doses to keep withdrawals at bay but can be dangerous on the heart.

Last edited:
For whatever reason, even though morphine isn't particularly long-lasting, poppy tea lasts forever, when I used to do opiates it was my favorite opiate out of all of them I tried (which was all the major ones including heroin, though I never IVd). I would still feel traces of it 24 hours after taking it.

For whatever reason, even though morphine isn't particularly long-lasting, poppy tea lasts forever, when I used to do opiates it was my favorite opiate out of all of them I tried (which was all the major ones including heroin, though I never IVd). I would still feel traces of it 24 hours after taking it.

You'd pick poppy seed tea over a generous dose of Oxycodone IR?

Yep. I love the duration and the strength of it. Though oxy is really really nice. I found poppy seed tea from proper unwashed seeds to be extremely euphoric. I was getting them from this salvage store for really cheap and my guess is they were from a really nice strain of poppy with a nice mix of alkaloids and not much thebaine. It would last seriously 24 hours, I could do it every other day and only start to go into withdrawal the 2nd night. I originally used it to try to come off various shorter-acting opioids but of course I failed to stop.

Anyway I did ibogaine 5 years ago and it worked like a miracle and I got off opiates entirely and haven't looked back. It's weird, I can talk about them and think about the high and everything and I just don't want them. Now, basically all other drugs... still want...

Yep. I love the duration and the strength of it. Though oxy is really really nice. I found poppy seed tea from proper unwashed seeds to be extremely euphoric. I was getting them from this salvage store for really cheap and my guess is they were from a really nice strain of poppy with a nice mix of alkaloids and not much thebaine. It would last seriously 24 hours, I could do it every other day and only start to go into withdrawal the 2nd night. I originally used it to try to come off various shorter-acting opioids but of course I failed to stop.

Anyway I did ibogaine 5 years ago and it worked like a miracle and I got off opiates entirely and haven't looked back. It's weird, I can talk about them and think about the high and everything and I just don't want them. Now, basically all other drugs... still want...

Try co-adminstering Oxy+Pregabalin+Clonazepam its utter bliss and it will put u on the floor without a tolerence!

I bet that would be amazing. One of the best highs I've ever had in my life was the first time I tried pregabalin on its own. I seem to get really good effects from gabapentinoids and GABA-B agonists and some people don't.

I bet that would be amazing. One of the best highs I've ever had in my life was the first time I tried pregabalin on its own. I seem to get really good effects from gabapentinoids and GABA-B agonists and some people don't.

Oh I forgot add Promethazine as well lol

Oxycodone
Pregabalin
Clonazepam
Promethazine

Co-adminstered will certainly kill a man with no tolerence so make sure u have a tolerence to each drug!!

I don't do opiates anymore, it's just a rule I won't break since I escaped 10 years of addiction.

I don't do opiates anymore, it's just a rule I won't break since I escaped 10 years of addiction.

Opioids are a double edge sword to me. I need them for my Neuropathy in my left arm but there so addictive I end up taking more than I should.

I used to always wonder if taking halcion aka triazolam evreynight would cause benzo dependence cuz of its super short half life . I would try to rotate by taking Xanax one night then Halcion the next and then Soma the next and repeat . I was always on Heroin tho so I’ve never quite discovered what benzo WD is even after 10-15 years of on and off use because I always come off everything at the same time .
This is the first time around in all those years that I am completely off opiates for 30 days and started up again with nightly benzo use after weeks of no sleep and caught an eye infection .
I’m hoping I never find out what true benzo WD is but all I am expecting is rebound insomnia . I’m considering trying something like Sonota to see if that does the trick for my insomnia .
I hate the thought of risking addiction to something I only take for sleep . I get no recreational value from benzos luckily or else I would be fucked for sure .