Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Weeds

The last episode was fantastic.

Jenji Kohan is NOT a man

- who knew that from the beginning?
Crazy.

Umm. Jenji is a girls name. I've never heard of a man named Jenji.

What the hell happened to this show, seriously? Initially a witty, insightful and downright hilarious parody of suburban life. Gradually stripped of all it's good characters. Quite clear the scriptwriters had no idea where they were going. Nancy Botwin turns from a sympathetic character to a narcissistic manipulative bitch with no regard for her family who thinks she can use her attractiveness to extracate herself from the increasingly absurd situations she places herself in, all the while bemoaning the fact that she's in these situations to begin with. WTF do you think is gonna happen if you hang around with Mexican drug smugglers?!?

Eventually having to rely on cheap plot devices like inappropriately age-differentiated sexual relationships to keep us interested. (I know that was a weird sentence, didn't know how else to phrase it).

Not even Doug was funny by the end of last season (well, occasionally). Season 1 was fantastic, downhill from there.

Sorry about the rant, just pissed at wasting 5 seasons' worth of my life.

It's both a name and nickname (short for Jennifer).

I don't think Weeds was ever witty or insightful. Nor has it ever been a parody of anything. The show has always relied heavily on the novelty of drug culture. ie. People like watching it because it's about marijuana. Unlike Breaking Bad, which is actually a good show, "Weeds" is straight from the Museum of Marijuana gift-shop. It perpetuates stereotypes. People get stoned (Doug, etc.) and they say silly things. The show may have gone down hill a bit (or a lot) in the middle there, but it didn't have far to go to hit the bottom. Nancy continues to get in increasingly dangerous situations that she can't handle. She has that expression of "I'm a single mother, I can't handle all this drug dealin'" - she might as well say this as a catch phrase. It's not clever television. It revolves entirely around marijuana. Take out the weed and what do you have left? Clever dialogue? Witticisms? More like nothing.

Last edited:
I hate agreeing 100% with TheDeceased, but in this case, I most certainly do.

Well articulated criticism of that wildly overrated pap.

The last episode was fantastic.

Umm. Jenji is a girls name. I've never heard of a man named Jenji.

I also thought Jenji was a man. It's a strange name, and it sounded to me like a man's name.

I do like the show, even though I can recognize it's pitfalls. The writers made some bold moves. It's definitely like Weeds Pt. 1 (seasons 1-3) and Weeds Pt 2. (seasons 4-6) and they're very different. I read an interview where Jenji basically says "we got bored so we decided to burn down agrestic and start over", which I think is pretty much BS. I wish instead that they had sat down and revisited each character, really looked at the storylines they had created, and thought hard about how to continue with what was a huge part of the show -- life in *suburbia* (and of course, drug use in suburbia). They could of really added a lot of layers of depth to the show. Instead, they took the easy way out and just made up a new show with some of the same characters.

There never were any layers to this show. It isn't an exploration of 'drug use in suburbia' simply because it's set in suburbia and it contains drug use. Just like Wall Street isn't an exploration of urban life simply because it's set in the city. In this case, the setting is incidental. Weeds isn't about suburbia. Nor is it about drug use.
It is about nothing.

I love Completely engrossing storyline of weeds tv show. complete show movies around character Botwins, And this role is played by Mary louise parker. Recently weeds season 6 has been finished and this whole season was awesome. Now I am very excited for next season. I hope next season will start soon.

i think whoever disses the TV series fuckin sucks. grow a brain and learn how to appreciate REAL theatrical brilliance, such as that in weeds.

Describing Weeds as 'theatrical brilliance'/ 'a parody'/ 'witty'/ 'insightful' or 'an exploration of suburban life' doesn't prove that you are intellectually superior to those who don't hold it in such high regard. It just indicates where you set the bar. Which is pretty low apparently. In unrelated news, it annoys me when people who don't understand what the word parody means go around their entire lives calling everything that is even slightly comedic a parody. Look the word up if you're going to use it. Seriously. Get a dictionary. It'll take you one minute.

Weeds was created and written by a woman who spent her career as a staff writer for shows such as Will and Grace, Gilmore Girls, Sex and the City, Mad About You and the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. There is nothing impressive on her resume. Not a single credit. Everything she has written throughout her life is mindless sitcom shit. And then she made a sitcom about marijuana, which is popular simply because there aren't many TV shows that broach the subject. The quality of the writing is no different from her other shows. She didn't magically become a better writer/comedian by changing subject matter. It's the novelty effect. If you fail to realize that or refuse to accept it, that's up to you. Convince yourself that this commercial US television show that exists primarily to capitalize on an untapped market is a work of art. But know that you are being played by a fat middle aged woman who, after spending her life writing easily digestible garbage, saw a market that she could exploit.

The show is really hit and miss for me, with emphasis on the miss. The last episode was above the standard of the rest of the series but overall the show is pretty disappointing. It's filler television. Personally, I'd prefer to call it what it is and reserve terms like 'theatrical brilliance' for artists and productions that consistently warrant such praise.

Last edited:
TV: Weeds.

I just recently started watching this show Weeds and could not stop watching it. I love how accurate it is with Cannabis Culture.

Series finale was last night. Last episode ever. Very sad times. Anybody been keeping up with this show?

The show started off well. Quickly went to shit. Thus the culture of television.

^ yeah, the later seasons really weren't that hot. i still watched them.

Lol, meet Jenji from Power Rangers =D

180px-MF_Jenji.jpg

... reason enough to never name your child Jenji.

I loved each season of weeds, there were it's points were it went off the rail but seemed to always come back.

The last season wasn't as strong as the other .. but good non the less :) Nancy is just PERFECT :)