View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Weed/LSD

Dis guy

Greenlighter
Whenever I smoke marijuana, I get very very negative. I'm planning on taking lsd in a few days and I'm very excited. But I'm worried I will have a bad trip based on how I act when I'm high.
Will I have a bad trip simply because I'm negative when I'm high?

People disagree with me, and I'm fine with that, but never smoke weed when your tripping. That can easily cause a bad trip, and it's happened to me repeatedly. In fact, if weed has that effect on you, why bother with it at all? I quit smoking weed 40 years ago and I've had a happy, productive life. You can, too. :D

Last edited:
Whenever I smoke marijuana, I get very very negative. I'm planning on taking lsd in a few days and I'm very excited. But I'm worried I will have a bad trip based on how I act when I'm high.

Weed has a unique ability to make you feel kinda crappy at times. I find smoking in unchallenging environments is key, by myself listening to music, etc. It can cause odd self-consciousness and paranoia and painful introspection- useful at times but sometimes overwhelming.

But no, LSD doesn't have that kind of effect. I was concerned about a similar thing the first time I dropped acid and I had an absolute mind-fucking blast :) I advise you not to smoke weed, or if you do make it 15% of what you would normally smoke, LSD really synergises and accentuates a lot of weeds effect and vice-fucking-versa.

Have fun :)

Lsd will likely amplify whatever underlying emotions you have at the time you take it so just be aware of set and setting.

Marijuana has the ability to cause an intense amount of paranoia and negative thinking, especially in some people. In my opinion, LSD and many other psychedelics are less likely to cause this simply from their effects than marijuana, as long as you don't smoke weed while on them (smoking weed on psychedelics is a big cause of people going from nice trips to terrifying ones). The most important thing with psychedelics like LSD is your set and setting. Your set refers to your state of mind at the time; you should take it when you're feeling good and don't have any pressing concerns that might bother you during the trip. Setting refers to the situation you're in during the trip. You should be in a controlled environment, some place you feel safe and comfortable. You should be with people you trust, a friend or two, not a big group, and not with people you don't know or trust (particularly your first time). You should make sure nothing unexpected is likely to happen, for example, people dropping by unexpectedly, parents coming home (if you are at someone's parents' house), etc. Unexpected stresses can cause a trip to get very difficult. Having great music to listen to is wonderful, it provides a great focus for the trip and can send you on some wonderful mental voyages.

Remember that, if things get frightening, it's just a drug and it will wear off. In my early trips I would often feel frightened or even regretful of taking it for a period of time but then I would get past it and enjoy a great trip. In particular, the come-up period can be intense and off-putting, because the transition from sober to tripping can be jarring, it's a big shift. LSD is pretty easy on the body and is a good choice for that reason, but some people report uncomfortable feelings during the come-up even with LSD. If you feel bad at the beginning, just remember that that's normal. If you ride it out and don't give in to anxiety and decide your trip is going to be bad, it will pass once the drug reaches full effect. I hope you enjoy it if you decide to do it, LSD is wonderful, I love how it makes me feel and think and it produces quite a bit of euphoria for me. Don't go into it expecting anything in particular, just go with it.

Note that I like weed, but I still am more apt to experience anxiety on it than on most psychedelics, LSD in particular feels very friendly to me.

Not necessarily. Just take a low dose and don't smoke while you're tripping.

Yep, heed the advice above from everyone and don't smoke while tripping. I learned the hard way

I am curious about this though. I've not had LSD in many years but back when I did (8 or so years ago when I was 16/17) I smoked once while on LSD and had a pretty profound experience.

A little paranoid at times but I just attributed that to my awkward nature and shyness. I didn't allow it to consume me and I had an enjoyable experience.

I felt comforted knowing that all of my friends and even my friend's uncle who was with us knew (and we're okay with) I was tripping.

Set and setting played a pretty big factor I think but I also wonder if there are differing factors to specifically cannabis and LSD.

I'm looking to try LSD again soon and I am now a daily medical cannabis user. I vape mostly.

I've recently had a good experience with mushrooms and I used my cannabis during that with no I'll effect. I did find it very difficult to focus on loading the vape and then taking large breaths. I would get lost in thought loops and constantly forget that I'm holding my bong and what I'm attempting to do with it haha

I often smoke weed during trips, it's just that I don't recommend it to people for their first time, or if they have issues with anxiety and weed. Marijuana definitely has a tendency to cause anxiety/paranoia, so adding it in can be too much. It can also be great though. :)

I love the input of weed into most drug experiences, especially psychedelics or dissociatives, but it can make trips unmanageable if you're not prepared. Especially important if weed alone is difficult. For me, I don't get anxious from weed anymore, or at least its minor and easily dealt with. I have been effected in that manner in the past and have been more cautious at those points.

I don't smoke weed all that often because I would get random paranoia on some high and it would ruin weed greatly for me. But LSD is a totally different drug (obviously) and when I did it the first time I felt anxious too. I had an amazing trip and so far it probably was one of my best experiences ever. But everyone is different, my friend (who smokes weed almost everyday) had a couple bad trips on LSD..

When it comes to bad trips on LSD, for me and people I know who take it only experience a bad trip 1 out of every 12 times which is pretty low.

I can't speak for you but good luck!

I like to separate "bad trip" from "difficult experience". The term bad trip has a very terrifying connotation, from people who experience traumatizing trips and have lasting negative consequences (which does happen to some people). And then there are difficult experiences, which can be really terrifying at the time, but which you come down from and just see them as something that was unpleasant but is now over, no harm done, and you maybe even learned something and came out of it better off. I've never had a "bad trip" out of hundreds of trips over the last 15 years, I've never felt like a trip hurt me or made my life worse. I have, however, had quite a few difficult experiences. The come-ups of many of my early trips were characterized by feelings of regret and anxiety and fear, "why did I do this to myself", "I wish I would just feel normal again", "I'll never take drugs again if I can just feel normal again". But then those feelings would pass, and I'd have great trips. Or occasionally I felt anxious to some degree the whole trip, and the experience kinda sucked, but when I came down I felt happy to feel sober again, and after a while I decided to trip again and it was fine. I have even had experiences where I believed I had broken my brain and was insane forever (a common delusion during difficult and powerful trips), or was about to die. I even contemplated killing myself on one trip, believing for a time that if the trip reached its conclusion I would cease to exist forever but if I died I would interrupt the trip and be born again as something else. I was able to realize that that was a bad idea and didn't do it (obviously), and that trip ended up being one of my most profound and important trips.

Some people have those kinds of experiences and decide they are damaged and develop anxiety problems and PTSD, and some people have those kinds of experiences and decide that it was just a drug experience and now it's over, and look for the good in the trip, and learn something, and don't experience negative after-effects. My point is that it's very important how you choose to frame difficult psychedelic experiences in your mind. With enough tripping it's inevitable you'll experience difficult times, but that's just a part of tripping, and if you realize that and keep it in mind, you should be fine even if you have moments where in those moments, you don't believe you're going to be fine.

Cannabis or hash and LSD is hands down by far the BEST combination EVER!

I used to love smoking herb while on a high dose of LSD but I also would take LSD on its own when I took low or moderate doses of it.

But I understand if people are not into this drug combination as it's not for everyone.

I like to separate "bad trip" from "difficult experience". The term bad trip has a very terrifying connotation, from people who experience traumatizing trips and have lasting negative consequences (which does happen to some people). And then there are difficult experiences, which can be really terrifying at the time, but which you come down from and just see them as something that was unpleasant but is now over, no harm done, and you maybe even learned something and came out of it better off.

Very well put, Xorkoth.

I've never had a bad trip. I've had difficult experiences but ussually these are more based on set and setting and have been easy to overcome once the substance has run its course or even as quickly as changing my location or ambient atmosphere

This seems to qualify for any psychedelics

I couldn't agree more with Xorkoth. Difficult experiences are very different from a so called bad trip. These difficult experiences could definately lead to a bad trip, but typically if you ride out the waves and can get yourself back on riding positive waves and recenter yourself, you'll be good.
I've done LSD numerous times, about 15...I've had many varied experiences depending on the strength, type of lsd and of course set and setting play a huge role. Most of my experiences have been positive, fun, enlightening trips, smoking pot in various amounts at various times during an lsd trip. I do have to say it can go either way. The trips where I smoked constantly, there would be brief moments of difficult experiences/ troubling thoughts/anxiety but I could almost always ride out the waves and recenter back on the positive train very quickly without getting too deep into negative thinking. I don't recall having any difficult experiences when I didn't smoke, very brief if any.
My last trip a month or so ago, I only smoked once. I hadent been smoking as much as I normally do either. This trip was by far one of the most intense lsd experiences I've ever had. I had an amazing time and got a lot deeper than I ever have previously. Many amazing, intricate thoughts about life and how spectacular this universe we live in is. Many depths to this trip. I usually trip with my brother and his gf. This was a home trip which we've done together before. Typically we stay together the whole time doing various thing, movies/shows/walks/talk loops/many various thing. However, this trip I drifted off into my room for what seemed lk many, many hours. I have a very mellow room with comfortable lighting, candle going, led burger light sign. My room just seemed very perfect for this trip at the time, where my brothers was a bit overstimulating with his action figures and various "things" he has, which mine is very simple.
Anyways I digress...so I was listening to music on these colored, water dancing speakers that move to the music and make awesome colors on the ceiling/around the room. I layed on my floor and was chain smoking cigarettes and staring at the colors on the ceiling, going with the flow of the music and getting lost in my thoughts. It was AMAZING and very inspiring. I then decided to roll a joint, after realizing I hadn't smoked any pot yet. Took me a little but I got it done. I took two small hits and could feel it increase the effects of the lsd. At this point I was probably about 5/ 5 and a half, maybe 6 hours into the trip. I was still having an amazing time after smoking and still feelin good vibes. I listened to a few more songs and a few more cigarettes before I decided to go back and hang out with my brother and his gf (they're also trippin). They were watching off the air and were going to be putting on the eric Andre show which we've watched many episodes of eric tripping before and I love it. At this point, even though the couple hits intensified the lsd a little, the peak seemed over and the comedown was starting, although the comedown comes in waves, so it feels lk it one min and then is intense the next, so it's hard to tell. As my brothers putting on eric Andre, I lit up the rest of the joint which was fat and most of it left. We were passing it around, they took a few hits but then were good cuz my bro wanted to light up some gravity bong hits for himself (grav bong hits are a usual thing in my house) and I just kept smoking the rest of the joint. I ended up smoking the rest of it, over half to myself. He lit up a grav for himself, then his gf asked for one and he lit one for me too even though I didn't really want one, he thought I did so I just smoked it, not really thinking much of it (didn't want to waste it lol)...Then we were all just chilling watching eric Andre and maybe a few mins later (not sure how long, times hard to tell on lsd) I starting riding down a bad thought wave. It started with something on eric Andre, it was an episode I've seen before but I forget exactly what started this thinking but I felt lk I was tripping so hard and I was just getting freaked out. I tried to talk myself out of it but this was the first time I wasn't able to. I had to get up and leave and go in my room to breathe...I started getting really panicky. I tried smoking a butt and calming myself down but couldn't get off this thought loop. Then some stupid Spotify commercial came on my speakers with a crowd noise came on and it just didn't sit well with me. I stared at myself in the mirror trying to reassure myself of this extreme feeling I was experiencing. I decided I had to take a Xanax cuz I couldn't stop it. Right after taking it, I sat on my couch and lit up a cig. A very mellow song came on. I still had this feeling which I can't explain in words but it was a very difficult experience/feeling. The song and the feeling I was getting felt like the universe was speaking to me and giving me signs about my life. It was the craziest thing. I decided to change into comfy clothes and as I was changing, everything just seemed to line up, the feeling, the music, the universe and the way I was moving. The only way I can describe it is that It was speaking to me. Idk what "it" was but it was something.
After I changed I sat back on my couch, lit up another smoke and my thought instantly latched on to the feeling I had earlier in the night lying on my floor. I then felt and extreme feeling of relief and amazement of what I just experienced. My thought train went back on a positive wave and I was enlightened by the whole experience. Then about 10 mins later I felt the xanax starting to work and was pissed I took it because I had pulled myself out of that difficult experience before the Xanax even took effect, so all I did was dull my trip early ( the headspace not visuals) when I didn't need to if I had just waited out the experience. I jumped the gun.
Overall, however difficult this experience may have been and definately could have led to a bad trip. It turned into being one of the most profound experiences I've ever had and I wouldn't take back that difficult time or feeling for anything. It was hard to go through but it's helped me in the long run. My anxiety has been practically non existent and my life struggles just seem completely small and very easily managed since this experience. Whenever Im struggling, I bring myself to how I felt and experienced the two extreme ends of the spectrum that night and tap into how I brought myself out of it and it comforts me. I wouldn't take back that extremely difficult experience for anything. It has been life changing and something I will never forget for the rest of my life.
To answer your question, marijuana can go either way with LSD. Weed tends to typically make me on the more negative side as well. I can get panicky/anxious with certain strains, but I don't mind that. I find that difficult experiences can be effective at helping and improving your life in the long run. How you view experiences and what you take from them is all in your perspective.

Hope this helps, sorry for it being extremely long, couldn't stop typing once I started going over this experience in my head. Be safe and Enjoy your trip!!

-E

^^ That's a great example of how to ride out a difficult experience. You could have freaked out and ran down the street and gotten arrested, or focused on the terrifying feelings and obsessed about them and decided you were damaged and developed PTSD, but instead you worked through it and it turned out to be an amazing experience that helped you in your life.

When I was young I got paranoid on cannabis I had more than my fair share of whiteys. EVERY time I took acid I had a great trip but I never smoke while on it, maybe just a belly full of beer. Forward in time too many years and now when I trip if I smoke near the start I get very uncomfortable and sometimes have had to abort trips because of this. BUT if I get it right and smoke at the right time it really enhances the experience.

All that said if you know cannabis makes you negative, why would you bother taking it with a drug that will amplify that feeling and somewhere you have little to no control of the environment around you? Trip and enjoy that leave the smoke for another day. Hope you have a good time.