• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Weed having a long term effect on self-confidence?

PsychedelicPixie said:
That’s funny because pot does the opposite to me! I am a total spaz (hehe I bet no one has ever said ‘total spaz’ on bluelight either) and I am overly self-conscious when I am not high. In fact I use pot to relax those feelings of people constantly judging me. Smoking pot is kind of like ‘Social therapy’ for me, it always helps me to be a sparkling conversationalist and I am never uneasy of unsure of anything…I guess I’m lucky in that way. :)

Try ecstacy!

Buck, I know exactly what you are talking about. I am the same way. It starts to freak me out after a while. I still haven't found a way to deal with it. Reading some of these posts have given me some ideas though.

It depends a lot on who you smoke with, in my experience. I don't think you are neccessarily getting overly paranoid as you are honing in on little things you don't normally notice. People express things subconciously all the time through minute body language that can affect the dynamics of a social gathering. I would say try and find really laid back people to smoke with who you don't care about making an ass of yourself in front of. It's no fun to smoke with hardasses anyways. :D

Is regular use likely to affect ur self esteem or lead to depression?

Lately I have been wayyy more consious about my self and body image e.t.c, which I know for a fact is something I dont have to worry about.

Coincidence, or has this come from my increased useage? I dont mean while high, I mean like even after a week of no use.

the exact thing happens to me.... i feel less confident when im high. ive tried to realize its all in my head but it just doesnt work that way. sometimes im happy to be sober

I see myself in a lowered light than other people.

I get that too, and it's really fucking up my life. While I don't blame it on weed, I still think it amplifies my negative thoughts about myself.
I can whole-heartedly recommend a long break from weed to you. You'll feel better.

I recently realized that weed's tendancy to lower my self-confidence relies on two very basic effects of the drug:

1. Clumsiness. It's a drug that's scientifically proven to make people less coordinated. It's hard to feel confident when you're bumbling around.

2. Surreality. I feel that at high doses, weed makes the world feel "unreal". When I don't stop to realize that what I'm doing is real as real can be, I've been known to do or say things that I'd normally only do in a situation where the consequences didn't matter, like in a video game. Then I realize what I'm doing, get embarrassed, and feel less confident.

Weed is a drug I enjoy very much, but I only smoke it alone or with my nearest and dearest. I never use it to bond with new people, becuase I find the drug doesn't facilitate that for me. I try never to be stoned when I'm anticipating situatuions where I'll have to be outgoing to people I don't know very well. I've got a "script", or frame of mind, for handling such situations, and I find I "forget my lines" when I'm fried.

-=ReD-hAzE=- said:
It'll hold you down if you let it. But it's all in your head, and easy to get over.

I find this to be very true. At times I can get quite scared and even paranoid when smoking. But I have grown past this stage now and am back to how I used to enjoy my daily hits roughly a year ago. :)

It is definately all in your head and marijuana can be a very emotional drug, just need to know how to handle it and realise it is only marijuana making you feel this way and you will return to normal once you're not so stoned, this allows me to really enjoy getting high.

Weed has made me too scared to post. From now on I am only confident enough to post using invisible text

i'm the opposite. I look at myself in a mirror when I'm ripped and think 'damn, I'm the shit' - then again I have pretty high self confidence so I do that anyway. Probably a combination of (social) paranoia and the introspective aspect of weed...I analyse myself too, but I think of good things and how I can better them, or relationships, or broader ideas. You're concentrating on the negative energy, so to speak, just let go and don't worry what people think.

Its just a mindstate you're going to have to break.
I went thru a period of simular shit, but its all just phases of growing... We really shouldnt be blazed all day and night.. and over analyziing and paranoia is the sure sign of "too much man"

ANyway, real confidence isnt possible without experience anyway. Fuck fake confidence alcohol gives you.

what i have learned

as a pot user with over 29 years of experience using it, i think that pot does two things long term if used heavily:

One: it DEFINITELY can destroy self-confidence, both during and after the high. This is in people who have low self-esteem or low self-confidence to begin with. It basically takes what you have and magnifies it, either for good or bad. If you are the toast of the party, then you will REALLY be the toast. Or you could just be toasted. Or toast.

2: Ambition. This is the one major side effect I've seen from long term usage. It completely destroys your ambition IF YOU LET IT. Which is to say, if you have low or little ambition anyway (to get a job, keep working, being creative, practicing your instrument, painting, ect) then you will be knocked further down. This is usually the case with daily users. I found that when i restrict my usage to once a week OR LESS, I have lots of ambition and then I reward myself with a toke at the end of the week or whenever I feel I've accomplished a lot.

My two cents, which is worth so much less these days....