• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Weed having a long term effect on self-confidence?

BuckAtl

Bluelighter
It seems like on high quality weed, I get really self-conscious. I see myself in a lowered light than other people. LIke I criticize what I say waaaaaay more than I usually do, and everytime I do something I get nervous about it being perceived in a negative way. For instance, I was high and I dropped a pen on this girl's leg accidentally, and I reached over and grabbed it and for the next couple of minutes I was concerned that she would think that I did it intentionally to get a little feel of her leg. Everytime I get up to go to the bathroom I get concerned that people will talk about me when Im in the bathroom. What I am trying to get at here is do you guys think this has a long term effect on lowering my self-confidence? I am not the most confident person in the world and I am trying to break out of that and I am trying to figure out if marijuana is holding me down. Thanks a lot ya'll. Thats right, I said ya'll ( Ive never heard anyone say that on bluelight).:p

It just sounds like you are bombed. Overanalyzing and Paranoia are prime characteristics of being stoned out of your mind. And like you said, "high quality weed".

personally i havnt noticed any long-term effects on self-confidence, in the sense that it doesnt really affect my self-confidence at all, regardless of how long i smoke or if i go cold turkey for a month, etc.

but yeah darthguru seems to have it all figured out for ya, you smoke some bud granted u might get some paranoia and overanalyzing is not uncommon so there u have it

If you're not high all of the time you'll probably just be happy and high, instead of confused and frightened.

i know the feeling stoned and sober, stoned making it worse. but you just gotta realize that everybody is thinkin that way most of the time. seriously, people are all introspective to an extent. its our nature, helps us better ourselves, inhibitions play a role... anyway i still don't get high around people that i'm not completely comfortable w/ because it can waste a high if something gets me in a mind fuck. anywho good luck w/ it. quit smoking if its to the point your not enjoying it. no use wasting the money.

I doubt it'll affect your self confidence for the worst, unless the weed leads you to introspection and you don't like what you find. I used to over-analyse so much it would do my head in, like 'why did i scratch my nose then, was i lying?' and all sorts of shite. As long as you've got

your shit together you'll find it hard to think of bad shit, and concentrate more of the good shit. That's the way it's meant to be right?

I thought it was y'all. But anyway.

OK, here's what I have learned. As you start to become more self-concious (some people just decide that they want to be more aware of themselves and every move they make), then it is going to feel uncomfortable for a little while because you are starting to gain control over functions that you used to let just happen naturally. Now that you want more control over these movements/actions, you have to be concious of them all the time - in time you will learn to have total control of these movements without the discomfort. I don't think it has anything to do with weed. I'll say it again, I think it is all mental. I would guess there are some other underlying issues that have lead you to start doing this, not just smoking weed.

People, stop trying to blame problems on weed, just because you have been brought up to believe it's bad, doesn't mean that little problems in your life are there because you have decided to smoke... they are there because we are irrational humans, if you stopped smoking weed you'd still have a shitload of problems, think about it...

It'll hold you down if you let it. But it's all in your head, and easy to get over.

incident said:
People, stop trying to blame problems on weed, just because you have been brought up to believe it's bad, doesn't mean that little problems in your life are there because you have decided to smoke... they are there because we are irrational humans, if you stopped smoking weed you'd still have a shitload of problems, think about it...

No, weed brought some problems that would not be there without it.
But it also has brought me many positives and such, and therefore I continue to use it.

I can relate. But at the same time, I found if I trained myself not to be self-conscious when stoned, it was easier to avoid self-consciousness sober. Kind of like a training parachute that sprinters use to train themselves. Caffeine makes an ok self confidence training parachute too, since it's another drug that makes jumpy people jumpier. Pot's more fun though. It doesn't give me that tiring "on the verge of something huge" nervous feeling too much coffee can give me.

^^^^^^
Lol..."on the verge of something huge"...man you get some crazy stuff from coffee! ;)

Anyhow...yea...pot definitely makes me more self-conscious sometimes...lemme post my theories:

Either your subconscious desires become more accessible to your conscious mind when on pot, and you don't like them.

Or maybe pot changes your desires to begin with.

I have realized that if you are scared that the girl will think that you wanna touch her leg...then...you actually wanna touch her leg! Don't deny it...everything works both this way and that. I've found it to be the truth...you have to work hard to change your intentions.

Hmm...I think pot just makes me dumb, though. I'm not able to keep as many different thoughts in my head when stoned as I am usually, and I'm not able to take each one as far, either. So...my social behaviour always goes to shit. That's just me, though, but it seems like you're sort of in the same boat.

BuckAtl said:
It seems like on high quality weed, I get really self-conscious. I see myself in a lowered light than other people. LIke I criticize what I say waaaaaay more than I usually do, and everytime I do something I get nervous about it being perceived in a negative way. For instance, I was high and I dropped a pen on this girl's leg accidentally, and I reached over and grabbed it and for the next couple of minutes I was concerned that she would think that I did it intentionally to get a little feel of her leg. Everytime I get up to go to the bathroom I get concerned that people will talk about me when Im in the bathroom. What I am trying to get at here is do you guys think this has a long term effect on lowering my self-confidence? I am not the most confident person in the world and I am trying to break out of that and I am trying to figure out if marijuana is holding me down. Thanks a lot ya'll. Thats right, I said ya'll ( Ive never heard anyone say that on bluelight).:p

What exactly do you mean by "high quality weed'?

Drugs such as alcohol or herb should not be used if you believe that they are having a negative long-term effect on you. Just as beer is not to everyones taste, some people should just say no.:)

I have known numerous dealers who lace their weed. First off, it gets you addicted to "his weed" and you'll most likely return, or at least return to him more often. Secondly, if you happen to just smoke weed once in a while, you'll always return to this dealer just thinkin its good pot, but in actuality you're getting addicted to the small amounts, but present secondary drug that the dealer happened to throw in. It shouldnt be a mystery or controversy of whether or not dealer's often lace weed. It does happens, and often.

yes yes, it does.

if i dont smoke weed i think every girl wants to sleep with me, if i smoke everyday im more like ... normal.

Had the same problem for a long time. I eventually learned to "externalize", focus on everything going on outside and not within myself.

But I understand the nature of this kind of anxiety (imagining people are talking about you when you're away, etc) is such that it's almost impossible to control. The best you can do is see past it, and eventually the occurrences will be fewer and fewer until it barely happens at all. Try thinking about something really positive, a happy thought, you probably won't have to shift your concentration for very long to forget about the paranoia.

That’s funny because pot does the opposite to me! I am a total spaz (hehe I bet no one has ever said ‘total spaz’ on bluelight either) and I am overly self-conscious when I am not high. In fact I use pot to relax those feelings of people constantly judging me. Smoking pot is kind of like ‘Social therapy’ for me, it always helps me to be a sparkling conversationalist and I am never uneasy of unsure of anything…I guess I’m lucky in that way. :)

I've been thinking lately that, in general, pot affects girls a lot differently than guys.

At least looking from the people I know...
Girls tend to get more giggly and talkative while guys will get reserved and "chill"...

But of course, this varies...I've been giggly on pot before, and I know girls who get quiet on pot...