• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Weaning off Clonazepam

MantisGod

Bluelighter
Hi there, I have been taking Clonazepam as needed for about 8 months. I gradually ramped up my use of them and then decided I would like to experience the process of detoxing. I started by taking 1mg a day at the same time each day for a week. I am 15 days in and on my first day of taking 0.5mgs. I feel a little "off" I suppose but from what I have read this should be a safe method. If anyone has any advice or guess on where my physical tolerance level is I am attaching a pastebin detailing my use since September of last year.

Hi there, I have been taking Clonazepam as needed for about 8 months. I gradually ramped up my use of them and then decided I would like to experience the process of detoxing. I started by taking 1mg a day at the same time each day for a week. I am 15 days in and on my first day of taking 0.5mgs. I feel a little "off" I suppose but from what I have read this should be a safe method. If anyone has any advice or guess on where my physical tolerance level is I am attaching a pastebin detailing my use since September of last year.

See if you can get your prescription changed to Valium because it's longer lasting and easier to taper.

Half a milligram of Klonopin is 10 mg of Valium.

If you tell your doctor that you want to change to Valium to taper off your benzo use It's very unlikely they would not agree with you.

See if you can get your prescription changed to Valium because it's longer lasting and easier to taper.

Half a milligram of Klonopin is 10 mg of Valium.

If you tell your doctor that you want to change to Valium to taper off your benzo use It's very unlikely they would not agree with you.
Gonna keep that in mind, had some insurance issues here in the land of the free. Thankfully I have a stockpile and I needed to reduce my dose as much as possible before I find a new doctor.

Gonna keep that in mind, had some insurance issues here in the land of the free. Thankfully I have a stockpile and I needed to reduce my dose as much as possible before I find a new doctor.
You can titrate using the 0.5mg tablets by crushing and dissolving it in 10ml of vodka.

Get a baby medicine syringe 5ml= 0.25mg.

If you use 20ml, 5ml = 0.125mg which is equivalent to 2.5mg of Valium, low enough to stop for most people

You can titrate using the 0.5mg tablets by crushing and dissolving it in 10ml of vodka.

Get a baby medicine syringe 5ml= 0.25mg.

If you use 20ml, 5ml = 0.125mg which is equivalent to 2.5mg of Valium, low enough to stop for most people
Thank you! I will most likely go for this if I cannot make the switch over to Valium with a new doc. I don't really want to cut myself off completely though, nothing works for my anxiety so well. It's gotten so severe I was incapable of leaving my home a few times. I hate SSRI's and every other "less addictive" psychotropic med I've been on.

Thank you! I will most likely go for this if I cannot make the switch over to Valium with a new doc. I don't really want to cut myself off completely though, nothing works for my anxiety so well. It's gotten so severe I was incapable of leaving my home a few times. I hate SSRI's and every other "less addictive" psychotropic med I've been on.
So what was your dose at its highest point?

I know you said you were kind of doing your own thing there.

The reason I ask is because long-term clonazepam therapy for anxiety is just not tenable.

Many times people that Have a very good response to benzodiazepines with respect to anxiolysis, can frequently manage their anxiety with high levels of regular exercise as well as a predominantly ketone-inducing diet.

Ketones calm the brain. People with treatment refractory epilepsy are put on a diet of mainly coconut oil and then protein and fiber. And it keeps their epilepsy and check as long as they're on the diet.

They have a zero carbohydrate diet because the human body doesn't need carbohydrates at all. Your liver can make all the sugar it needs from fat, and the brain runs more efficiently on ketones.

Just think the end product of glucose metabolism is lactate otherwise known as lactic acid which makes your muscles hurt as well as in high enough concentrations will cause lactic acidosis a metabolic imbalance that can be very serious.

The end product of fat metabolism is carbon dioxide and water.

Last edited:
I personally got clonazepam 16mg a day use down to .5mg x2 use over a few months with now hiccups bit that's just my body I guess. So it's possible. Not sure if you looking to stop completely or just get down to the lowest maintenance level for you that is comfortable

I personally got clonazepam 16mg a day use down to .5mg x2 use over a few months with now hiccups bit that's just my body I guess. So it's possible. Not sure if you looking to stop completely or just get down to the lowest maintenance level for you that is comfortable
Wow man that has gotta be unusual! Was that through a psychiatrist, psychiatrist and "extra help" or just with a plug? Crazy how different people can experience not only subjective effects during drug action, but habituation effects too.

Circumstances being as they are regarding my insurance situation I absolutely do not want to be caught with my pants down. On the other hand, I love psychedelic drugs and I've had some level of GABA action going on since I started to do them again back in August of last year. I take Pregabalin as well for nerve issues, which I have heard generally plays nice with the psychedelic experience but ykwis lol. So that, combined with "if I can why not" thinking makes me curious. But tapering down to half a mg was not too easy for me so I think in the near future this will be my daily 🍞.

So what was your dose at its highest point?

I know you said you were kind of doing your own thing there.

The reason I ask is because long-term clonazepam therapy for anxiety is just not tenable.

Many times people that Have a very good response to benzodiazepines with respect to anxiolysis, can frequently manage their anxiety with high levels of regular exercise as well as a predominantly ketone-inducing diet.

Ketones calm the brain. People with treatment refractory epilepsy are put on a diet of mainly coconut oil and then protein and fiber. And it keeps their epilepsy and check as long as they're on the diet.

They have a zero carbohydrate diet because the human body doesn't need carbohydrates at all. Your liver can make all the sugar it needs from fat, and the brain runs more efficiently on ketones.

Just think the end product of glucose metabolism is lactate otherwise known as lactic acid which makes your muscles hurt as well as in high enough concentrations will cause lactic acidosis a metabolic imbalance that can be very serious.

The end product of fat metabolism is carbon dioxide and water.
Does a "ketone inducing diet" have to be a ketogenic diet? I don't want to quit all sugars that's for sure, and that's generally what ketogenic means, only like 50 grams of carbs max a day.

Does a "ketone inducing diet" have to be a ketogenic diet? I don't want to quit all sugars that's for sure, and that's generally what ketogenic means, only like 50 grams of carbs max a day.
That's what it means.

If you don't restrict carbohydrates and sugars, your body won't instead burn fat for energy.

The only way you get ketones to become the preferential energy source for your body or brain is by restricting digestible carbohydrates and sugars. Non-digestible carbohydrates = fiber.

That's what it means.

If you don't restrict carbohydrates and sugars, your body won't instead burn fat for energy.

The only way you get ketones to become the preferential energy source for your body or brain is by restricting digestible carbohydrates and sugars. Non-digestible carbohydrates = fiber.
Well, I do a lot of intermittent fasting, and from what I've read deeper fasts also produce ketones even if you are eating carbs and also get you to the point where you do burn fat for energy instead of glucose. I can get in a pretty good mood sometimes if I'm deep into a fast and exercising regularly, but I don't always want to do long fasts.

I'm trying very slowly to wean off Klonopin. I have the option of getting low dose ketamine therapy, but klonopin can make it less effective. I'm only on 1mg a day though.

Do you know anything about the after effects of GABA drug mixtures like alcohol with Klonopin and anything about glutamate surges, akisthisia or GABA rebound? And if so, do you think you could maybe comment on my "is this alcohol or Klonopin WD?" thread? You seem like you know something about how certain drugs work, and no one is responding in that thread.

Well, I do a lot of intermittent fasting, and from what I've read deeper fasts also produce ketones even if you are eating carbs and also get you to the point where you do burn fat for energy instead of glucose. I can get in a pretty good mood sometimes if I'm deep into a fast and exercising regularly, but I don't always want to do long fasts.

I'm trying very slowly to wean off Klonopin. I have the option of getting low dose ketamine therapy, but klonopin can make it less effective. I'm only on 1mg a day though.

Do you know anything about the after effects of GABA drug mixtures like alcohol with Klonopin and anything about glutamate surges, akisthisia or GABA rebound? And if so, do you think you could maybe comment on my "is this alcohol or Klonopin WD?" thread? You seem like you know something about how certain drugs work, and no one is responding in that thread.
Yeah, I can do that. Usually you don't go into ketosis until 24 hours with no food. Some people that have been fast sensitized, meaning they're constantly fasting to the point of ketosis and have a very low carbohydrate intake. Never reconstitute the glycogen stores in their liver and muscles. So they're able to go into ketosis after 12 hours instead of 24. However, remember, the body will use glucose in the blood and glycogen in the muscles and the liver before it does any ketone generating fat metabolism.

Yeah, I can do that. Usually you don't go into ketosis until 24 hours with no food. Some people that have been fast sensitized, meaning they're constantly fasting to the point of ketosis and have a very low carbohydrate intake. Never reconstitute the glycogen stores in their liver and muscles. So they're able to go into ketosis after 12 hours instead of 24. However, remember, the body will use glucose in the blood and glycogen in the muscles and the liver before it does any ketone generating fat metabolism.
I'm not 100% sure it really takes 24 hours. I've read a few books on fasting like Dr.Fung's "Complete Guide to Fasting" and Gin Stephens "Fast, Feast, Repeat", and Dr.Fung in general is supposed to be an expert on both fasting and ketogenic diets.

From what I have heard, which could be wrong, there isn't really an "I'm in ketosis or not in ketosis" state unless maybe you have eaten recently like less than 12 hours ago and/or are just eating lots of sugars. Then you aren't in ketosis. But I have heard that we are usually in some form of ketosis if it's been a while since we've eaten and it's all just a matter of degree.

I know I start to get into a relatively better mood sometimes if it's been like 16 or more hours without food, but it doesn't always work the same way.

I'm not 100% sure it really takes 24 hours. I've read a few books on fasting like Dr.Fung's "Complete Guide to Fasting" and Gin Stephens "Fast, Feast, Repeat", and Dr.Fung in general is supposed to be an expert on both fasting and ketogenic diets.

From what I have heard, which could be wrong, there isn't really an "I'm in ketosis or not in ketosis" state unless maybe you have eaten recently like less than 12 hours ago and/or are just eating lots of sugars. Then you aren't in ketosis. But I have heard that we are usually in some form of ketosis if it's been a while since we've eaten and it's all just a matter of degree.

I know I start to get into a relatively better mood sometimes if it's been like 16 or more hours without food, but it doesn't always work the same way.
The carbohydrates that you eat in one day when you don't intermittently fast replenishes all your glycogen in the liver and the muscles which means basically 24 hours to start ketosis.

In other words, unless you are continually fasting for longer than 16 to 20 hours and not eating a regular diet on some days of the week, your glycogen is always approximately a 24-hour store.

If you have been fasting consistently for 24 hours or more and not eating a high carbohydrate diet, then your glycogen stores will be consistently depleted and you can reach ketosis quicker.

To be clear, the liver replenishes its entire store of glycogen in 8 hours of regular dietary consumption.

The carbohydrates that you eat in one day when you don't intermittently fast replenishes all your glycogen in the liver and the muscles which means basically 24 hours to start ketosis.

In other words, unless you are continually fasting for longer than 16 to 20 hours and not eating a regular diet on some days of the week, your glycogen is always approximately a 24-hour store.

If you have been fasting consistently for 24 hours or more and not eating a high carbohydrate diet, then your glycogen stores will be consistently depleted and you can reach ketosis quicker.

To be clear, the liver replenishes its entire store of glycogen in 8 hours of regular dietary consumption.
Well, when I get the best moods it's when i have been doing one meal a day for at least 2 days in a row, usually longer, and OMAD is considered a 22-23 hour fast with 1-2 hours of eating within the intermittent fasting community.

So, I guess maybe I could go into ketosis faster than some. I don't want to do a ketogenic diet.

Wow man that has gotta be unusual! Was that through a psychiatrist, psychiatrist and "extra help" or just with a plug? Crazy how different people can experience not only subjective effects during drug action, but habituation effects too.

Circumstances being as they are regarding my insurance situation I absolutely do not want to be caught with my pants down. On the other hand, I love psychedelic drugs and I've had some level of GABA action going on since I started to do them again back in August of last year. I take Pregabalin as well for nerve issues, which I have heard generally plays nice with the psychedelic experience but ykwis lol. So that, combined with "if I can why not" thinking makes me curious. But tapering down to half a mg was not too easy for me so I think in the near future this will be my daily 🍞.
I did this on my own but also with my docs helps, like advising her on how I'm coping and so on but mostly on my own. But yeah my body is a weird one.

Good luck

You’re doing a gradual reduction which is good/standard

you would benefit from adding Pregabalin / Gabapentin which is used when tapering off benzodiazepams. At night time take a Clonidine 0.1mg tablet and you’ll sleep like a baby

Clonazepam 0.5mg - half a scored tablet 0.025mg
Pregabalin 150mg - empty capsule powder in glass
Clonidine 0.1mg - half a scored tablet

all three in a glass add 1.oz warm/hot water to dissolve. Add orange juice to mask bitter taste. Drink. 30min you’ll feel relaxed and content. Sleep like a baby.

Medical Journal about Pregabalin used successfully on benzodiazepine dose reduction ….study participants required less benzodiazepine meds when taking Pregabalin. Clonidine 0.1mg is the ultimate wonder drug, super effective & potent anxiolytic drug. just as valuable as genuine Valium. Seriously.