MAPS Ways To Define "The Existential Crisis" In A Clinical Setting

T

TreesRskyCapiliris

So, mods I do not know where this belongs. I also won't really able to respond but Id like others' input.

You read or hear about a lot of people having big picture problems post-psycedelic use. You could even look at more specific examples like Art Linkletter's daughter commiting suicide after having flashbacks.

I wanna give an anology. In psychiatry, lets use the example of Bipolar Disorder. You could take sleeping pills or a benzo for insomnia and anxiety, but this is like taking an advil when you have a cold. Things like mood stabilizers address the main cause, being neurotransmitters.

But I digress. A lot of times someone gets far out and needs people to talk them down. Or, someone with flashbacks may ask for help and be guided to.vitamins.

Is there a way that an "existential crisis" could be defined in terms of Psychology?

And if so, what cures could there be? Because if you look at the way medicine is designed..they look for numbers of reinforcement in studies.

Is there a way that an "existential crisis" could be defined in terms of Psychology?

I think yes, for those existential crises that cause suffering sufficient to make the sufferer seek clinical attention. If there is already a clinical setting, many drug therapists can expect to find useful psychological terms. In those cases the big picture "problem" can be talked down to normal with DSM vocabulary. The sufferer is motivated to forget pictures bigger than the norm the psychologist can suggest.

But no, for the larger numbers

http://www.nature.com/news/no-link-found-between-psychedelics-and-psychosis-1.16968
No link found between psychedelics and psychosis

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/03/150309174507.htm
Psychedelic drug use could reduce psychological distress, suicidal thinking, study suggests

of big picture existential crises which have a happier or at least educational integration. Then DSM and other returns to conventional wisdom are not accepted. The experience is highly valued and not vulnerable to analysis by doctors. It does not need to be cured, no clinic is sought. A psychologist can still use DSM labels that he thinks define "The Existential Crisis" but the beneficiary (not a "sufferer") will not be impressed. In most cases it will seem the psychologist is using DSM terms to define something else, not the "existential crisis".

Some of the imagined successes for psychologists may be squeezed from a "patient" in a bind. Prison may be the alternative to pretending to need clinical attention. Betraying the most profound experience of your life by saying it was stupid, and convincing a norm that you'll never do it again may be the only way to escape supervision.