• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Ways in which addiction has negatively affected me...

Oh boy, was feeling down, alone on Xmas Eve, and this was just the thread I needed to put things in perspective.

I'll just list a few:

Walked away from Columbia University, an Ivy League College I'd worked very hard to be admitted to, and all the possible future career and life options that would have entailed.

Developed serious delusions and hallucinations from amphetamine use that persisted to some extent even while sober.

Many rehabs, detoxes and psych hospitalizations.

Put my parents through hell.

Many heartbreaking relapses.

Was away from my child for a total of 17 months of her life. This is the most devastating and the one I'll never really be able to reconcile or forgive myself for.

Addiction is a scourge. But I'm clean and sober today and doing my best. Hope you all are too.

Damn dude. I feel that. You’ve definitely been through it. It’s important to recognize our fuck ups, but also I hope you are loving on yourself too. It’s equally as important, to treat ourselves and our brains with kindness and not let guilt take the reigns and end in a self-sabotaging episode... if that makes sense. It’s important to look at your strengths and good qualities and remember that you are human too, and we’re all doing our best with what we know at the time, but then also sometimes; we just aren’t. And that’s okay too and provides an awesome path to gain some valuable experience and wisdom.

i applaud you on your confidence posting this. It takes strength. I don’t think I’m in the right place mentally to sit and do an inventory on all of my failures and fuck ups, so I will save that and come back to this post to share mine on a better mental health day.

You’re awesome and worthy, even with your fuck ups dude.

Always afraid someone won't return, oh i don't know. 🖤🌹🖤🌹🖤🌹🖤

Im afraid I won't return. Afraid that I'm too old, come too far to turn back, caused too much destruction to repair. I realized that fear and shame are the number one factors of my addiction. I often think of suicide when I look at the long road ahead and the scared little boy inside of me decides it's easier to keep running then face the tough road of recovery. In essence I'm slowly killing myself with the dope because I'm too afraid to do it directly.

Oh yeah, I forgot put my 3 suicide attempts. 2 of which I was hospitalized for.

Last edited:
All these things that have negatively impacted our lives through drug use,are in fact positives in the longterm.

For they're lessons for us to learn,through pain and suffering we learn what truly hurts us. We are then able to recognize what leads us to despair and plot a different course.

We grow through the lessons and it shapes who we are. Some have much harder lessons and therefore have more to learn. Its if we ignore those lessons that we are doomed to repeat them over and over again.

It took me two times losing my driving licence to learn not to drive whilst high. Some people take note of others lessons and learn that way,so whilst we think the lesson are only for us we are also teaching others.

Been trying to quit for good so here is my stupid list:

*got deported from x country after finally getting my own place and a stable job to a place where i have no one

*got disowned

*family still rejects me (not sure if i really care tho)

*no veins in my body whatsoever

*stopped training martial arts after a lifetime of dedicating myself to it

*overall shitty health which i never thought was possible for me

*hurt my ex husband the only person i had and cared about so he divorced me

*went through all the money i saved to travel through asia

*stopped showering and brushing my teeth so i got an incurable infection on my scalp and like 5 root canals

*sold my car for a ridiculously low price to pay medical bills

*got the blame for 6 deaths tho i told em all to go fuck themselves

*got breast cancer because of pills i was not supposed to take

*5 years barely leaving my room, going out meant just going to the market across the street and i would come back tired and sweating from it

*somethings going on with my bladder i need to piss like 20 times a day and wake up at night 4 times to go, which fucks up my sleep completely

*i dont wanna do shit, lost interest in all my hobbies, tired all day, depressed and in a bad mood, i dont know what else to add...

*feels like i lost my whole youth even if it sounds dramatic i want to die every day
Only good thing is that i found out who my real friends are

*oh yeah and i lost a shit ton of money, time, chances, days, health, life...

Last edited by a moderator:
Im afraid I won't return. Afraid that I'm too old, come too far to turn back, caused too much destruction to repair. I realized that fear and shame are the number one factors of my addiction. I often think of suicide when I look at the long road ahead and the scared little boy inside of me decides it's easier to keep running then face the tough road of recovery. In essence I'm slowly killing myself with the dope because I'm too afraid to do it directly.

Oh yeah, I forgot put my 3 suicide attempts. 2 of which I was hospitalized for.

A doctor told me something interesting that actually helped a bit, he said that we have to abandon the need for the pleasure that dope gives and to accept that we have to say goodbye to it idk if it makes sense for you

A doctor told me something interesting that actually helped a bit, he said that we have to abandon the need for the pleasure that dope gives and to accept that we have to say goodbye to it idk if it makes sense for you
it is a REWARD SENSATION that "feels like pleasure" because of your Nucleus Accumbens firing a bunch of dopamine in your brain.

PLEASURE, and REWARD, are SEPARATE concepts. VERY important. <3

"pleasure" is there with opiates, but ultimately limited; it is far too "rewarding".

Thank you, i have been cancer free for a few years now 🌹🌸🌺🌷
Stay strong! Your autobiography, if you wrote it - I would buy it. That makes your life seem SO COURAGEOUS and woe stricken and it’s amazing you have a happy attitude and are in recovery! Really inspiring - keep it up :)

you also probably have some really cool tales and/or describing your life in detail would be a rich read.

Stay strong! Your autobiography, if you wrote it - I would buy it. That makes your life seem SO COURAGEOUS and woe stricken and it’s amazing you have a happy attitude and are in recovery! Really inspiring - keep it up :)

you also probably have some really cool tales and/or describing your life in detail would be a rich read.

i have a happy personality but i dont feel happy at all. Forgot to say that i went to jail in 3 different countries lol. And its cool to me that you mention the autobiography because a friend told me it would be the most cliche and poser thing to do when i told him i wanted to write something like that just to get it out of me and to maybe warn others about stuff idk

you should man

3 jails around the world = Al Jazeera does documentaries about people being in just 1 prison, like, yes that would be at least a book or documentary.

The way diff. countries round up people and lock them up would be an *excelllllllent* read for me = I'm a libertarian and too many countries lock up too many people for too long IMO and often under-punish white crime and over-punish poverty-driven crime, and 100% over-react to non-crimes (i.e. crimes aren't crimes without a property or personal victim, i.e. the "war on drugs" who's getting hurt? whose property is getting damaged? whose dog was run over by a car and is being taken to Judge Judy?)

If you wrote it with a "I don't know how the world should be run but the global criminal justice system potentially needs to be rethought for a better tomorrow" that would be an excellent read.

Writing to get stuff out is 110% why I love the Words sub-forum and adding to the global literature collection is adding to global and regional culture. Non-fiction tends to be crazier than fiction, there's some far-out real life stories.

Also even if you never publish, writing a novel can be a very rewarding process. What's cliche is maybe what I did, I wrote a 708,000 word long fictional novel (exceedingly long; think Bible length) that is so pigeon-holed genre-wise that few, if any people will ever read it, and it's so long I may never finish line-editing it and/or re-read the whole thing myself (I have almost the whole gist of it and most minor details committed to memory, it's like a "real world" in my mind I dedicated so much time to it). Like even though I know these people aren't real, the constructs of them as characters are just as much as real life people.

A good autobiographical read is typically very rewarding. Manson's was insane and then what Chuck Palahniuk wrote about him in a book not entirely about Manson blew ALL of that out of the water with just one or two lines.

(I read a lot lol)

you should man

3 jails around the world = Al Jazeera does documentaries about people being in just 1 prison, like, yes that would be at least a book or documentary.

The way diff. countries round up people and lock them up would be an *excelllllllent* read for me = I'm a libertarian and too many countries lock up too many people for too long IMO and often under-punish white crime and over-punish poverty-driven crime, and 100% over-react to non-crimes (i.e. crimes aren't crimes without a property or personal victim, i.e. the "war on drugs" who's getting hurt? whose property is getting damaged? whose dog was run over by a car and is being taken to Judge Judy?)

If you wrote it with a "I don't know how the world should be run but the global criminal justice system potentially needs to be rethought for a better tomorrow" that would be an excellent read.

Writing to get stuff out is 110% why I love the Words sub-forum and adding to the global literature collection is adding to global and regional culture. Non-fiction tends to be crazier than fiction, there's some far-out real life stories.

Also even if you never publish, writing a novel can be a very rewarding process. What's cliche is maybe what I did, I wrote a 708,000 word long fictional novel (exceedingly long; think Bible length) that is so pigeon-holed genre-wise that few, if any people will ever read it, and it's so long I may never finish line-editing it and/or re-read the whole thing myself (I have almost the whole gist of it and most minor details committed to memory, it's like a "real world" in my mind I dedicated so much time to it). Like even though I know these people aren't real, the constructs of them as characters are just as much as real life people.

A good autobiographical read is typically very rewarding. Manson's was insane and then what Chuck Palahniuk wrote about him in a book not entirely about Manson blew ALL of that out of the water with just one or two lines.

(I read a lot lol)

Sounds like you wrote some J.R.R. Tolkien kind of thing, with their own languages and shit. Crazy. The part about jail and deportation i really really hate talking about. From Chuck Palahniuk i have only read Invisible Monsters and the goddamn fight club. What i am actually writing is a fiction novel about real people i want to kill and its pretty much about how i hunted and tortured them all to death.

Sounds like what Beto wrote and got in trouble for. Likely would be a cathartic write.

(excellent detailed analysis -Ed.))

I can think of a couple of things that it appears are quite common . . . some for addicts, some for all people with physical dependence especially on opioids and benzodiazepines:

Having that metabolic hourglass over one's head is demoralising, limiting, and creates a lot of the below, but it is the government, ignorant citizens, and the cowardice of the medical profession which makes it into a Sword of Damocles and, after all, people get sick when they don't get enough sugar, vitamins and so forth.

Addiction is the juxtaposition of an acquired disordering of metabolism and the endocrine system (tolerance and physical habituation) with narcotic analgesics it is almost inevitable) and a full-blown clinical level phobia about the withdrawal syndrome, which is not universal but common as the concerns about the withdrawal killing the patient and perhaps even more so the prolonged, semi-permanent, or permanent debilitation from Post-Addiction Withdrawal Syndrome, both with their attendant personality changes causing problems and the economic impact. The latter has everything to do with restriction and illegality of the drugs in question in a lot of cases.

Much of this has to do with the fact that a lot of people have distress which the narcotics alleviate, and the patient knows this, and the drugs do something for them that cannot be obtained otherwise, and never will in that euphoria, anxiolysis, empathogenic effects are a part of the analgesia and cannot be separated. Also, people are happy to be out of pain -- naproxen, dexamethasone, and a lot of antihistamines do that too in a degree related to how much pain they alleviate.

The distinction betwixt addiction and habituation is anything but trivial and is at the root of a lot of suffering in many parts of the world.

Even medically induced habituation begun and supervised by doctors and continued with perfectly informed consent has some things which come with it that range from the inevitable to a lot of things having nothing due to habituation and certainly the pharmacology of the agent (narcotic analgesics). Because of the politics and economics involved and the abysmal ignorance by the public and even doctors about pharmacology and medicine in general.

There is a lot time wasted in the acquisition process, be it from calls back to doctors and triplicate prescriptions for narcotics to copping smack, which can be cut down by making them accessible again. This causes one's life to telescope down because of the time and energy involved in Taking Care of Business and it is most regrettable.

The ignorance of family and others is rather hard to get around it seems because of the disinformation put out all these years. For a supervised chronic pain patient, this is a bit of a problem, and is one of the things which reduce some of our margin for manoeuvre, to the point that, for example, the fake opioid cri$i$ in the United States people leaving permanently to get medical care elsewhere, which is lots energy, resources, money, and not everyone is in a position to choose such a thing.

For an addict, as well as a lot stimulant and definitely benzodiazepine and sedative-hypnotic addicts, the lost time, opportunities, and problems make the whole thing a catastrophic state of affairs, and the anti-drug motherfuckers should wonder why even with this, they all come back even with an interruption, thus the 98 to 99.5+ per cent relapse rate. In both cases of addiction and medical habituation, the relapse is a physiological reaction with the body trying to get what it needs and has nothing at all to do with the willpower or morality of the user. If the body is low on water, one gets thirsty.

And what all of this does to the self-image, hedonic tone, and personality of someone caught up in it is a substantial problem and heartbreaking . . .

Last edited: