• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Ways in which addiction has negatively affected me...

somnilicious

Bluelighter
I wanted to start a thread for bluelighters to list the various ways that addiction has negatively impacted their life as part catharsis and as a means of boldly laying everything out in black and white, so that we may take an honest appraisal of the destruction left in its wake. It is my hopes that in doing so that we will be able to come to terms with the truth of our substance use and use it as motivation to finally move forward with resolve. I will start with a statistical list and then later add in depth stories that can be both morbid and comical but always consequential.

-4 petit theft charges
-2 marijuana possession charges
-6 cars totaled from accidents(one running from the cops, one at 75mph on the highway that should have killed me and almost all of them from falling asleep)
-1 black out DUI that could have ended in me killing somebody
-lost 3 loves due to addiction( 2 that left me and 1 that overdosed and died next to me in bed as I frantically tried to scoop the vomit out of her throat)
-10 narcan overdoses
-Hep-C
-$100,000+ in hospital bills
-$10,000 in credit card debt in one year from using overdraft protection as my personal crack piggy bank
-1 felony possession of heroin that was dropped
-I initiated an event that directly led to the arrest of my 2 roommates, them trying to set me up in a control buy and plant meth on me, one of them lost the house his dead mother had given him and is now in prison as a consequence.
-turned countless people on to opiates early in my using that are now dead including my best friend since kindergarden.
-3 rehabs and over 3yrs spent in sober living
-10 yrs in separate stints on methadone at almost $400 a month=$48,000....... Not even going to try and add up all the money spent on drugs in total.
-20yrs without significant accomplishment
-missed events, funerals, weddings and damaged relationships of friends and family..... Too difficult to quantify
-several $1000 in dental work
-spent 5 yrs barely leaving my room at one point
-one hit and run, while injecting cocaine that I got away with
-20+ lost jobs
-2 stints on probation the countless money spent on court fees, lawyers and probation cost.

The worst are the unquantifiable aspects of addiction like lost time, potential, relationship damage, psychological, spiritual, brain and body damage. It is when I lay out my using stories in gruesome detail that the true depth is exposed but that is to come later. When I look back on my using I can see just how fortunate I truly am. I absolutely feel as if something has been looking out for me. I honestly don't know how I am alive. All my old using friends are dead. I have no felonies, relatively good health, looks, no serious injuries and I didn't kill anybody in my driving accidents and DUI. I am absolutely blessed.

woah thats a long list, but you're doing alright now ? its a slow rebuild process believe me but keep it up! its more than worth it in the end

i nearly lost everything to my addiction but luckily i was given 6th chance and so far im sticking to it or ill lose my baby boy of 2 and wife who i love dearly, its a proper kick in the balls and wake up call

well done!

- felony while black out drunk
- probation violations leading to jail
- 3 maxed out credit cards ignored
- easily over 150k lost in cash
- lost several jobs
- totaled car
- tooth damage
- homelessness for two years

But missed opportunities in life hurts the most.

Hopefully I get my shit together by age 30.

Good Idea for a post
Ill get back to writing out a list lol ... but lets remember not to be too hard on ourselves.
Aware, yes. Accountable, yes. But lets try not to berate ourselves for it. Lets just learn from it .. slowly lol

Addiction has undoubtedly negatively affected all of us who have experienced it. But dare I say that having finally clawed my way out of the abyss, I now feel better than I would have done if I hadn't fallen down it in the first place..?

I was saying that just the other day ...
Addiction, depression, crippling anxiety. Admittedly Im a bit of a douche but I always used to think those were almost laughable "diseases" ..So having experienced them first hand, though while likely causing trauma, I think Im better off for it. More empathetic anyways...

The downside of this is that I am no longer able to relate to anyone that hasn't experienced trauma in their life.

Having said that, I was never able to relate to them before - but now I know why...

The downside of this is that I am no longer able to relate to anyone that hasn't experienced trauma in their life.

Having said that, I was never able to relate to them before - but now I know why...

thats right! i only opened up properly to the other addicts in the meetings I attended

couldnt do that with my family and friends, they just wouldnt "get it"

How long have you been sober my friend? or at least your version of sober. I could really use some encouraging words. I'm fucking up right now as we speak and I feel so ashamed and disgusted with myself. What the FUCK is wrong with me? I'm so full of shit.

How long have you been sober my friend? or at least your version of sober. I could really use some encouraging words. I'm fucking up right now as we speak and I feel so ashamed and disgusted with myself. What the FUCK is wrong with me? I'm so full of shit.

I know this wasnt @me but Ive been alcohol free for a year on the 23rd. It was my christmas gift to myself last year.
Id tried for fucking ever tho... seriously; off and on for 3 years - halfassed for 5.

Once I was serious and Id slip Id feel the same way about myself as youre describing.
Thats why I like this thread. It gives reasons for wanting to quit.

I think itd be nice if you also listed positive/proactive reasons for wanting to abstain/be "sober"

I suppose my kind words would dont be discouraged by "fucking up" it seems your conscious of it and if I were to look at my struggles that was the msot important part.... ya quitting is important but addiction didnt happen overnight. And I can promise neither will abstinence. Sobriety is a lifestyle and it took me a long time to get back in that direction.. even now Ive still got a long way to go. Just keep at it som

thats right! i only opened up properly to the other addicts in the meetings I attended

couldnt do that with my family and friends, they just wouldnt "get it"

Before my alcohol abuse I was awkward af and didnt relate to anyone until I tried mdma. It was amazing how much drugs changed me. Perhaps all the M abuse, because I loved what it did for me (read to me lol), that led to depression and ultimately alcoholism but I liek to blame my ex and my dads child rearing skills lol..

But I never went to meetings but I definitely relate and open up more to addicts.
However, after my mom died I no longer had anyones feelings to consider so I just flat out told(most of) my family that I like drugs. Id be respectful of their beliefs and not partake at their homes unless it was ok but what I do in my free time is my business and as you (they) can see I function far more effectively on drugs than alcohol.... as I was drinking heavily at the time and a complete shit show lol ....

So

Now 3 years since she passed and 1 year sober they can finally appreciate my words ...

Last edited:

Hang in there. I too weakened and used again against my best intentions yesterday after only 7 days clear but I've learned that guilt and shame don't aid recovery that much. I don't think many people ever nailed it first go.

@somnilicious , Be easy on yourself!! The Disease of addiction is life long ( Womb to Tomb) we are born with it and we will Die with it. All we get to do is choose how we live our lives with it!!! I do not feel that there was this magic or Fucked Moment when I became a Drug addict or alcoholic,or sex addict, Etc, Etc, Etc?
But there was this moment of Grace when I Choose to do something healthy about it , and move away from the Denial that It was OK to slowly Kill myself.
Perfection is the Direction of my life, Progress is the Goal, One day at a Time. I really work hard on only working on the Day, what is happening Right Now. The Past is done { Let it Go, Turn it Over} and the future Who Knows what the fuck will happen ???
So do the Next right thing, if its good do another, If its bad try something Different next time, but Try
Move a Muscle CHANGE a thought !!!!!!!!!

you are doing well - ICE

Addiction has undoubtedly negatively affected all of us who have experienced it. But dare I say that having finally clawed my way out of the abyss, I now feel better than I would have done if I hadn't fallen down it in the first place..?

Every time I quit my addictions I fall into a darker place. I ask myself whether it is really worth it. To successfully quit an addiction, the surroundings need to be adjusted before, one cannot quit and be like "uau, I have been using for so long that now I don't know what to do with myself".

One cannot simply quit and jump in the abyss of depression and unbearable anxiety. Quitting is learning how to live again. i cannot stop a drug and stay thinking about this drug all the time, fighting against my will, if I am going to leave the place where I am, I am going to do it in the plenitude, no remorse, no temptations. If it is not like that, I prefer to use.

I've been off heroin for about 10 years now and off methadone for 5. I'm still clearly not 'sober' because I'll still happily take any shit that comes my way - except heroin, methadone, crack and benzos. I still dabble with codeine and poppy pods, drink booze like its water, smoke weed, hammer MDMA and experiment with RCs. But I still feel like I'm free. Dont worry too much mate, fucking up is all part of the recovery process - but it does extend it significantly. It took me 20 years of fucking up to finally realise enough was enough as far as heavy duty opiates go. But I am also willing to accept that I will never stop taking drugs...

Honestly, the very worst things I haven't told in detail to anybody. And I don't plan too. More than any other reason, because it's just too hard.

Harm that's come to my life because of addiction that I will share though?

Let's see...
Lost my relationship.
Lost nearly all my possessions.
Wound up homeless.
Got hep-c (subsequently cured)
Undertook or was an accomplice to various acts of fraud and theft. Of both loved ones and strangers.
Undertook various dangerous and illegal traffic offenses under the influence of drugs. Again harming (financially not physically) myself and others.
Arrested and convicted on charges related to the above.
Prostituted myself on multiple occasions.
Spent God only knows how much on drugs. All my money plus ill gotten money totalling a number that I dare not attempt to discover.
Been on methadone for the last 2 years. Heroin exclusively several years before that, methadone and heroin several years before that. More heroin before that, other drugs before that.
I still have some scars from track marks from shooting up thousands of times.

And then there's all the emotional harm I did to people I loved.

Having now spent 2 years out of that life, with only the repercussions to remind me that it all really happened. It almost feels like a dream sometimes. Like it happened to someone else. Not helped by the fact that I still find myself back there in my actual dreams all the time. Still trying to hustle money, trying to get my drugs. Getting them, mixing them.

It's surreal.

Every time I quit my addictions I fall into a darker place. I ask myself whether it is really worth it. To successfully quit an addiction, the surroundings need to be adjusted before, one cannot quit and be like "uau, I have been using for so long that now I don't know what to do with myself".

One cannot simply quit and jump in the abyss of depression and unbearable anxiety. Quitting is learning how to live again. i cannot stop a drug and stay thinking about this drug all the time, fighting against my will, if I am going to leave the place where I am, I am going to do it in the plenitude, no remorse, no temptations. If it is not like that, I prefer to use.
W

Same. I have no will to fight it when i have no motivation.

fuck somni that is quite a list.

you are right about the worst being the unquantifiable aspects. what i've done to my family and closest friend is awful. the credit card debt, eventual loss of my house, all my savings, even arrest and attracting a lot of interest from the police, is nothing compared to the guilt i feel about what i've done to those who care about me, and the situations i put myself in.
don't use it as a stick to beat youself with though man, its easy to but it doesn't help. accept it and move on. easy to say, hard to do, i know cos i haven't managed fully myself.

Hi Somnilicous. Thats quite a list. I have always avoided arrest by some sort of mircale. Somehow my family and wife are still in my life. Here is my list:

-irreversible bladder damage and chronic pain (ketamine)
-one hospitalization for a collapsed lung (nitrous, crack, and heroin smoked heavily)
-one narcan requiring overdose that left wife with PTSD she would wake up many times per night to make sure i was breathing, call crying all times of day and night thinking i was dead
-2 hospitalizatoins during an opiate withdrawal (i was unknowingly given 2CE by a friend during withdrawal one time)
-loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars for buying drugs
-about 20 K in hospital and medical costs related to drugs (out of pocket costs, not insurance billed that would be hundreds of thousands)
-one lost six figure job for nodding out at work and having unconctrollable mood swings at work due to drugs
-death of two close friends i introduced to IV usage of opiates
-landed my best friend in the hospital with rhabdomyolisys and lasting damage he still has 12 years later by giving him too much drugs and not instructing dosage
-kicked out of one apartment for overdosing on dissociatives and going on a pcp like rampage
-convinced a real frriend to drive drunk to get us crack and he was arrested, no longer my friend.

Last edited: