• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Was recently watching a new episode of "Intervention"...

BeachBum4u

Bluelighter
For the record, the 2 hour show focused on the "Opioid Epidemic" in what they are calling the Heroin Triangle (North of Atlanta). I know this sort of thing has been mentioned before but I just couldn't get over it. There were ad after ad for stool softeners and anti-constipation meds etc.. The sheer volume just blew me away! After thinking about it for a few minutes, I got to thinking, who do these shows see as their target audience? Are they actually trying to help folks get better or sell them a bunch of their advertisers medicine? From where I sit, the answer is not so obvious, and it should be!

Targeted advertising like this has always existed, regardless of what's being peddled. It's a shitty thing to do, but it's effective, plain and simple.

No, the show doesn't exist for the ads. The ads exist for the show. The show exists because people love seeing this kinda stuff.

I think interventions absolutely can be useful sometimes.

But I don't think it's ever acceptable to do it through a TV show.

I never fail to be amazed that so few people see it coming. Do they live under a rock? I’m an addict and I still manage to occasionally watch television. Oh and the douche nozzle interventionist is a presence on this forum. Personally I can’t stand the old bald guy. He can’t even stay sober himself and he’s on tv trying to railroad people into treatment. What a hypocrite.

"is a presence" is a little vague. But it's also hardly uncommon for people's on air persona and real life personalities to be different.

I know this is kinda a minor complaint all things considered, but I really find the theme music to intervention annoying too.

Yet it probably says a lot that I've still watched a lot of episodes of it and not just when nothing else was on.

I got infracted for calling him out on his role in the show in a post. He’s not worth getting banned over. If you know how to use Google decently you’ll figure it out.

the one that really crax me up is the one who always says "been here for a few days and all I see is a bunch of ppl who feel they're losing u and are fighting to get u back....y'all who watch the show know who I mean...

Arguably the most memorable episode. She ended up choosing jail over treatment which is probably more effective for some.