• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☠ WARNING ☠ *WARNING* Chronic ketamine/dissociative use causes bladder/organ damage

It could well be, for instance, that the difference between low harm tolerance and high harm tolerance comes mainly down to whether you manage to intuitively hydrate sufficiently
I think this is really the case. People report damage from less MXE use than I used to indulge in, yet I'm unharmed. I also have a habit of consuming the recommended 3-4 liters of water daily though, and always consumed water during MXE trips. It could be a matter of people not getting enough water flowing to get the sediment out, who knows? All I know is, I still love dissos, and I drink plenty of water, and I don't foresee I'll be having any issues.

As a side note - what's with Green Tea & ECGC as a curative? I've seen a few references to using either to alleviate symptoms but don't know the source.
Here you go:

The protective effect of green tea catechins on ketamine-induced cystitis in a rat model
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1879522615004157

To summarise - co-administration of ketamine and green tea epigallocatechin gallate (ECGC) significantly reduced the magnitude of ketamine-induced changes which typically lead to more collagen, fibrotic markers, and eventually fibrosis, apoptosis and all the unwanted damage. The reduction in certain biomarkers was quite significant, even almost to the level of the saline control. There are a number of very interesting graphics in that study which demonstrate the point well - such as this one:

To clarify though, again, the changes which ECGC has been demonstrated to inhibit or reverse are only currently known to occur with arylcyclohexylamine dissociatives. I do not believe there is currently any evidence that diarylethylamines such as ephenidine and the like have the same toxicities, in fact I'm not sure that the metabolic pathways for these latter class have even been identified... It strikes me that perhaps the thread title could be a little more accurate, as the dangers in question only concern a particular subset of the dissociative class, rather than applying to all dissociatives as the thread title might suggest.

I've used green tea often during my EPE binges one or two years ago. It was somewhat surprising to learn it technically cancels out some of the dissociation.
Could you provide a source for this? I have never heard this before... I would think any effect would be negligible as ECGC is not psychoactive on it's own...

If the tea's too strong it adds to the kidney load.
This might be technically true, but I think practically it's going to be pretty difficult to imbibe a harmful dose of ECGC or other green tea polyphenols just from tea alone... I'm not sure if it's ever been documented that this has happened. Excessively high doses of extracted ECGC (>800mg) have been linked to higher levels of biomarkers indicative of liver damage, I'm not aware of any kidney specific risks with higher doses, but there may well be. Would be interested to read if you have a source for this also!

Regardless of the risks with excessive doses, on balance ECGC seems to be a remarkably healthy compound to take, and there are multiple studies suggesting increases in longevity, favourable changes in body composition, and just all sorts of good stuff that's generally desirable whether you're a ketamine/arylcyclohexylamine fan or not!

I can't remember the source for tea messing with dissociation. I've read it somewhere on here. Maybe it's just the general juxtaposition between dissociation and stimulation, as light as it is in case of tea. I bet any tea kidney load is also insignificant in the context of ketamine, not large to get me googling at least, heh. I'm mentioning it just to show there can't be made a serious argument against tea here, regardless whether my tea knowledge is correct or not.

I think this is really the case. People report damage from less MXE use than I used to indulge in, yet I'm unharmed. I also have a habit of consuming the recommended 3-4 liters of water daily though, and always consumed water during MXE trips. It could be a matter of people not getting enough water flowing to get the sediment out, who knows? All I know is, I still love dissos, and I drink plenty of water, and I don't foresee I'll be having any issues.

Then that would imply that, in the context of harm reduction, we can only recommend deeper ketamine exploration to interested newbies if it's used as a meditative tool. Any (other) activity risks distraction from and neglect of hydration, and should only be attempted if the trained meditative awareness can be carried over into said activity, when the conditioning to properly heed bodily warning signals is consciously ingrained first.

I don’t think hydration is the issue.. I drink literally nothing but water (no sodas, fruit juices, etc.. rarely an alcoholic beverage once or twice a month) and stay fairly hydrated.

I think genetics plays the biggest role personally.

-GC

^ That seems most likely to me also. I mean, it has just been demonstrated that ketamine causes increases in various biomarkers associated with soft-tissue fibrosis - and of course the majority of research in vivo has involved rats and carefully administered doses - I would think, factors like hydration can and would be controlled and accounted for. Hydration will play a part for sure, in the same sense that being generally in good health generally makes one more resilient to a number of other maladies... but I would not be too surprised if any long term differences was negligible - and disregarding any obviously extreme outliers in this as-yet-to-be-recorded data.

Then that would imply that, in the context of harm reduction, we can only recommend deeper ketamine exploration to interested newbies if it's used as a meditative tool. Any (other) activity risks distraction from and neglect of hydration, and should only be attempted if the trained meditative awareness can be carried over into said activity, when the conditioning to properly heed bodily warning signals is consciously ingrained first.
I don't follow this line of reasoning at all. Surely the exact same could be said of MDMA, for example? Or really any other drug... Also, what constitutes meditative usage? This smacks of a sort of drug-elitism to me, that somehow some ways of using drugs are of inherently greater value than others... arguments could be made for this to be the case of course, but I don't see that any such argument is especially more relevant in the case of ketamine.

@Vastness nice post.
Fucking wish I knew about the green tea thing 10 years ago maybe I could have avoided fibrosis.
Any evidence that it can or could reverse it?

As far as reversing it goes, I'm not really sure, I'd say in cases that there is actual, significant fibrosis then it's probably less likely. But, just because you have persistent symptoms doesn't necessarily mean this is the case - actual fibrosis/scarring, I believe, is generally a later stage progression of chronic inflammation - ie, cystitis, and how quickly cystitis progresses to more permanent damage and scarring is itself highly variable, probably largely dependent on genetics but also general health and lifestyle choices as always. I would venture to say that one's genetic susceptibility for soft-tissue inflammation to scar probably plays a big part in one's susceptibility to Ketamine-Induced Cystitis. So for this reason EGCG - just noticed I've been mixing up the letters - supplementation could still be useful after the fact, I would think, as it's soft-tissue-fibrosis inhibiting properties seem to be wide ranging and not limited to just protection from directly ketamine-induced damage, and could serve to inhibit any further damage resulting from persistent inflammation.

But even if there is fibrosis there's no reason to think it's a lost cause, I've read I think that even non-ketamine-induced cystitis is often associated with scarring in deeper tissues of the bladder - and such inflammation can be quite severe but still quite reversible. I will mention I'm not a doctor neither do I have any formal medical or biological scientific training so it's also possible that my understanding of the line - if there is one - between possibly temporary if persistent inflammation and more permanent fibrosis or scarring - is not correct... but my point in general is that there is still a lot we don't know about how recoverable ketamine-induced damage is - and there are still some reasons to be optimistic.

I don't know if you're aware of this but there is at least one reported case of a complete reversal of apparently quite severe bladder damage:

To our literature review, this is the first case of ketamine cystitis presented with asymmetrical bladder wall thickening, which may be considered as an irreversible change, but turns out complete reversal of the clinical symptoms and image morphology after merely intravesical hyaluronic acid instillation.

Granted this is with intravesical administration - ie, injection of a large and concentrated volume directly into the bladder - so maybe not something to be done at home... :giggle: But is promising news nonetheless.

If you do have persistent symptoms I'd also suggest trying out the peptide I mentioned a few posts back - BPC-157 - although you would be basically a guinea pig in this case, as there is no direct evidence that this would have any benefit to human bladder conditions.

Last edited:
@GC

I'm not following your line of reasoning either. If you've always hydrated well and your health's fine, how does that argue against hydration as major health-protecting factor?

@Vastness

Wait, why would you assume hydration would be accounted for? I have no insight in meditative states in rodents, and wouldn't want to guess whether they'd automatically compensate through hydration for the ridiculous amounts of drugs they typically get fed. Additionally, they're known to be rather self-destructive in non-rat-park conditions. Plenty of reasons to be weary reducing the topic to an animal studies paradigm.

And note that invoking genetics as explanation generally means that there's no explanation given in terms of actual biomechanics at all. It's general skepticism, which is fine, but any inherent explanatory weight is illusory, and prone to be mere scientific/scientistic fashion.

As is looking down on meditation. Assuming elitism for the mere mention of the word is elitism in itself.

^ Not looking down on meditation at all - not sure how you got that from my post - quite the opposite, I'm an advocate of it and practitioner of it. I was responding specifically to the suggestion that, just because of the specific dangers associated with ketamine, "in the context of harm reduction, we can only recommend deeper ketamine exploration to interested newbies if it's used as a meditative tool". Surely newbies can just be advised to "have fun, but make sure to stay hydrated", as they typically would be when discussing MDMA, for example, another drug on which monitoring hydration is also important but for quite different reasons, but which few people would advise that high doses should only be used as meditative tools.

Obviously what exactly constitutes "meditative usage" is not exactly clearly defined and this term could reasonably be expanded to encompass almost any usage one could conceive of, so perhaps you meant something different by this to what I assumed, but I think generally if you start talking about how substances should only be used as meditative tools - like many people do with psychedelics - some people are going to immediately tune out, and those people who tune out often are the people who could most benefit from heeding some harm reduction oriented advice.

Chris Timothy said:
Wait, why would you assume hydration would be accounted for? I have no insight in meditative states in rodents, and wouldn't want to guess whether they'd automatically compensate through hydration for the ridiculous amounts of drugs they typically get fed. Additionally, they're known to be rather self-destructive in non-rat-park conditions. Plenty of reasons to be weary reducing the topic to an animal studies paradigm.

And note that invoking genetics as explanation generally means that there's no explanation given in terms of actual biomechanics at all. It's general skepticism, which is fine, but any inherent explanatory weight is illusory, and prone to be mere scientific/scientistic fashion.
Granted perhaps I should not have said that hydration would be accounted for - I didn't necessarily mean that researchers were meticulously monitoring the rats' hydration levels and controlling for any dehydration-associated changes in renal function by complex statistical analyses - although this would surely be an interesting experiment that I hope someone does someday - I just meant that there is already a wealth of research on the effects of dehydration on the human body, as well as the kidneys specifically, so if anyone actually involved in the research really thought this was such a complicating factor that any other data gleaned without taking this into account was not reliable, then it would be accounted for. But, granted, this is an assumption, perhaps a reaching one, so I concede this was too strong a wording.

I would think, however, that if dehydration was such a complicating factor then we would expect to see similar conditions induced by other dehydrating drugs, whereas we generally don't, or at least, not nearly to the same extent. We also don't see the same kind of pathologies induced by dehydration alone. At the very least, dehyration is a potentiator of ketamine-induced changes at the cellular level, or the associated stress of dehydration serves to catalyse these changes into developing into something more serious. In either case though you surely can't argue that ketamine is an entirely benign factor here...

I also do not think it is correct to say that invoking genetics as an explanation means that there is no explanation given. Of course genetics do not themselves explain the biomechanics - but they provide an explanation for why a given chain of events is more or less likely to lead to a given measurable outcome in some people than others. In the specific case of bladder damage under discussion, the biomechanical explanation is that ketamine upregulates the cellular expression of transforming growth factors (TGFα in the green tea study above, but I have seen other studies where TGFβ is involved) which in turn serves to upregulate other molecular operators which cause healthy soft tissue to convert into less flexible, more "fibrous" tissues. However the speed and specifics of how these events proceed will vary, and this is where the genes come into play - the susceptibility of any given cell to respond to a given molecular signal to become fibrotic, or to be induced to release it's own biological signalling molecules to tell other cells to become fibrotic, and the rate at which it can do this, will be controlled by the specific coding of the various molecular keys that peptides and proteins such as TGF-x and fibronectin interact with.

Interestingly, the effect of ketamine mediated changes in TGF expression and associated fibrosis does not seem to be universal - this study, which in in vitro on cultured bronchial cells - Ketamine Inhalation Ameliorates Ovalbumin-Induced Murine Asthma by Suppressing the Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition - appears to show that ketamine actually suppresses a similar cellular pathway to inflammation and eventually damage which occurs in asthma. So obviously there's still a lot we still don't know.

My health isn’t fine.. At least in regards to negative symptoms from K use. As I said before my last experience left me with horrible pain any time I’d try to piss. The time before I felt something slight but nothing terrible.

May not be horrible symptoms but the amount of pain I felt considering I did a 10mg bump says something.

-GC

How so? That ketamine and likely most other ACH dissociatives can cause bladder and organ damage is not in dispute, it's an established fact, albeit one that the dissociative-using community are still coming to terms with, to some extent. Like global warming, the question isn't if it's happening or not, but what to do about this unfortunate situation, and a sticky in these uncertain and uncomfortable times seems to be quite warranted, and not controversial at all. It serves a vital function by providing a dedicated place for those affected or those who are just interested to share knowledge and support in our small corner of the psycho-dissociative landscape.

It's more the way there is a sticky stating this information. Take a look at the BL Shrine and there are high amounts of overdoses directly caused by research chemicals, yet we don't have sticky threads for those doses/combinations and they are much newer and uncertain than ketamine. I just don't see it as a standard way BL normally goes about things, typically it would be if a bad batch is about an area then you get a sticky in that regions forums. But as a ketamine user I'm also interested in this topic progressing scientifically and out of respect for the member who influenced this thread I didn't really want to say more than controversial.

I think it it this kind of thinking largely that has lead to the current situation where a non-negligible proportion of K users, not even the heaviest users, pretty much all are experiencing or have experienced abnormal bladder/urinary pains and associated functional issues, as well as more internal organ pains of perhaps less clear origin (bile duct, kidneys, etc). The only ones who've never experienced this just didn't use it long enough. But the perception of ketamine as "safe", coupled with vague drug myths of a sort, probably loosely based on some study or other, such as the idea that as long as you don't do more than a gram a day, or a gram a day for a week, one should be able to neatly step over any minor annoyances.

I would say it is apparent now that that is not case, but there are many still not aware of the hidden dangers.

We should all be aware of it and I agree many are not, lots of people don't even know they should be drinking a pint of water every hour of a binge. But when it comes to the most severe issues with ketamine I often question what lifestyle the users had alongside taking it. Did they drink green tea, supplement cranberry, magnesium, b12, exercise, eat good food regularly when on large ketamine binges? Probably not, as I suspect if someone is handling large amounts of ketamine as an addict then they would not be in a good financial situation. There are lots of variables for these scenarios, we don't get that information, so we can't directly blame ketamine. I speak of this from experience, when I don't stay well hydrated, look after myself and binge heavily on ketamine I expect more negative effects. But it's the same with day-to-day life too.

While there are lots of horror stories, it's also a very popular drug that many people use long-term. I don't drink alcohol or use stimulants anymore. I can't think of a safer drug alternative for recreational purposes. I'm sure if I used alcohol in the amounts I've used ketamine my liver would be long gone.

Most of the health issues that arise from ketamine use will clear up after stopping within 6 months. That includes urinating more regularly and any pain in bladder area. But you also need to be living a decent lifestyle to let your body heal.

While we are becoming more aware of the issues, it's also beginning to be much more widely used in a medical setting for additional uses, depression for example. But the difference in a medical setting is you don't have access to unlimited amounts of self-administered ketamine like an addict does at street level.

The issue this thread is about is pretty different to an overdose caused by a much rarer chemical, because ketamine is, as you say, a very popular and widely used drug. There is also ample indication that the issue in question is not related just to a regional "bad batch"... There are lots of variables, for sure, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be wary of the one constant which is of course ketamine itself... even if "most" of the health issues will clear up within 6 months, 6 months is a pretty long time to need to recover from a chemically-induced injury and any individual surely only has a finite amount of these "recovery periods" that they can put their body through before more permanent, or at least persistent signs of wear start to show.

I will concede, that the thread title could be read to be a little sensationalist - although it's surely not entirely inaccurate - but as a corrective measure I think unfortunately it may just be needed. I just had a look at the MDMA forum because to me it's probably most analogous in terms of a widely used substance with potential to be quite harmful, and obviously there is no thread like "WARNING: Chronic MDMA use causes brain damage!" which I guess would be the equivalent - but there is "Six simple rules to MDMA" which includes a pretty good summary of the dangers to be aware of, including information about supplementation to minimise any negative effects. Hopefully one day we will be at a place that we can have a thread like "Six simple rules to Ketamine" but I don't think we're there yet.

^ Very true about ketamine riding the psychedelic PR wave. I've surely said it before too, in fact I made a thread a while back arguing that the very grouping of dissociatives and psychedelics into one forum was sending the wrong message and not in line with BL's harm reduction ethos, although it got somewhat mixed responses and I guess I understand the administrative overhead involved with creating a whole new forum.

Spit the backdrop out
I'll admit, I was always kinda doubtful if this really made any difference. However I did a little reading about oral and nasal bio-availability and it seems there might be something to this.

Nasal bioavailability is generally reported to be around 25-50%, with one study from 2003 recent study putting this figure at 45% - it's worth noting that this was with a nasal spray, so when snorting dry powder, as most people do, this figure is surely on the lower end, and will not remain constant over a session (generally tending downwards as the nasal passages get more and more clogged) and I have seen even low figures reported although I can't be bothered to go digging up the links right now and I don't think it will matter for this broscience analysis.

Oral bioavailability seems to be around 59% - I've seen a lot lower figures reported also but this study also takes into account the contribution of norketamine, which evidently was not always included in other measurements. But the important factor anyway is that the greater the relative difference between oral and nasal bioavailabilities, the greater the relative impact of not swallowing the un-absorbed residue.

It we assume a (possibly optimistic) figure of 40% nasal bioavailability, and take the oral figure at face value, then spitting out the drip should yield almost a 50% reduction in the amount of ketamine you're consuming (Percentage extra absorbed when swallowing drip = 100*(1-Nb)*Ob / Nb where Nb = Nasal Bioavailability and Ob = Oral bioavailability). Playing with the absorption values can move this figure up and down but it's still not an insignificant amount.

Obviously also there is the norketamine issue, I've never seen any studies directly looking at the difference between ketamine and norketamine toxicities - although there is evidence that ketamine itself does have some direct toxicities in vitro - but oral administration does seem to yield significantly higher quantities of norketamine compared to other methods of administration... and again, I'm not sure if it's ever been studied but there seems to be a general perception that intranasal administration is more likely to result in undesirable pathologies than IM.

Kind of veering even beyond broscience now into pure speculation, but relative to ketamine, norketamine has a 6-7 fold higher affinity for the α7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, and activity at this receptor is one of the methods by which nicotine increases atherosclerosis (arterial hardening) and proliferation of certain types of cancer - again involving the epithelial-mesenchymal transition, that same biological mechanism that is theorised to be involved in ketamine-induced bladder damage in a few of the studies I linked previously. So perhaps there is something to the idea that norketamine is more toxic and thus oral ingestion and first pass metabolism should sensibly be avoided...

Disclaimer, obviously none of this speculation is a substitute for actual data. But, in the absence of any such data, maybe it's better than nothing. Personally I'm going to try not to do any more ketamine but if I do end up doing it again I'm definitely going to be spitting out the drip... just in case.

Besides that, don't have too much to say about this right now but thought it was an interesting look at some of the possible mechanisms by which ketamine causes organ damage, as well as a few different approaches to prevention and treatment:

Possible pathophysiology of ketamine‐related cystitis and associated treatment strategies

I can't remember where I read it now but I did read a report about one person who was successfully treated over the course of a year with oral chondroitin sulphate, which is used in treatment of non-ketamine associated cystitis as well, although typically only to relieve some of the symptoms - in this case supposedly they experienced a complete reversal of both symptoms and measurable damage, although I don't have any information to hand about exactly how far gone they were. If this is repeatable, obviously it's a slightly more convenient method of treatment than the hyaluronic acid route as it can be administered orally.

@Vastness I've read before that norketamine is defo more toxic. Oral should always be avoided.
I've met hundreds of K heads and the ones who don't spit the drip always fall ill sooner.

I don't think it will help with bladder issues because bladder issues come from it being in your blood/filtering from the kidneys into the bladder(hence injection users still get bladder issues), but spitting it out will defo defo DEFO help with no getting k-cramps aka gall bladder spasms due to pH imbalance in the gut(injectors never get this) . But also I have noticed if I swallow the drip my piss does (seem to) become thicker.

I can do a week on sniffing ket 5-10g a day spitting the drip and caining water and be fine. Just 1 day doing the same amount and swallowing the drip and not keeping up with the water will have me doubled over in pain in no time. Ymmv.

^^ Yeah, I've read it too (norketamine being more toxic), just never from a primary source, which made me skeptical... If it is true though, I would think not swallowing the drip would still reduce the risk to the bladder somewhat as less ketamine would be converted to norketamine prior to reaching the bladder, as well as just less ketamine being absorbed in the first place - whereas with oral the majority of the ingested dose is typically converted before it even reaches the bloodstream via first pass metabolism. Oral biovailability would actually be higher than nasal except for this effect - although perhaps bioavaibility is the wrong word, moreso "absorption efficiency". I didn't know that about the gall bladder and oral ingestion, that's interesting, I will have to read about it - I guess it makes sense though. I would think that in addition to the PH imbalance you mention, there may be a similar direct toxicity in play given the higher likelihood of direct exposure of the gall bladder to ketamine and/or metabolites travelling through the digestive system. Same with the liver perhaps - I wouldn't be surprised if liver problems were also an increased risk with any oral ketamine, followed by nasal but without spitting out the drip.

I think the lying-down-with-head-tilted-backwards method hasn't got the stage light it deserves.

You just don't get a drip that way. You let it solidify against your mucus membranes, and if you're doing light activity (which you should, I'm mean you're on brain steroids) you're good to go. Designate ten minutes of inspirational talk or music or whatever ritual. It's ten minutes of audio.

It's silly to point it out, but such fundamental hack in approach can make a heap of a difference.

I've also read up about interstitial nephritis, and even slow variants seem to be mediated through infection. No signs of mysterious viral apoptosis just yet.

But the infection can have multiple causes. Think bacterial infection and allergic reactions, on top of the average nephrotoxicity. Nevertheless it's best treated by some extra liters daily liquid, and the usual dietary tweaks.

(Maybe such allergies cover the genetic component we've been discussing?)

Conclusion: keep calm and drink plenty.