The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Wanting to move out west...

elephantskin

Greenlighter
Does anybody from SoCal have any advice on what i should look for in trying to move to this area... i'm 3k+ miles away in baltimore and it is miserable here as i'm sure it can be miserable just about anywhere. But ive been too long in the rain over here. i want a warm/hot climate, i'm 25 with nothing but my immediate family who i love and have been there for me a great deal... no girlfriend, no car, no loans, bills or anything. the first thing im concentrating on is getting a vehicle... - i am a serious lover of music from heavy, bluegrass, funk, blues, hardcore/metal/stoner style stuff bigtime too. ive had 5 years experience with masonry, im 50%+ bilingual with speaking spanish. i've never surfed before and i'm dying to...

my wants would be La/north hollywood, san diego, picking trim in north cali. basically anywhere.
i gave nashville and austin consideration due to my love of the whole music thing, thats kind of where i want to build off something i just dont think i will find that here in baltimore again, it happened once but things have since dissolved.

any help/input/tell me to stay home/links/contacts/output anything would be great...

PMA<3
thank you

I'm going to move this SO --> North & South American Social. Since it's a highly regional question people should be able to better help you out there. :)

You said you speak Spanish. There's a lot of room for you here in South Florida.

If you want warm/hot climate move to the LA area. Los Angeles has a large music scene so you can find anything you're looking for. In terms of spanish, you'll fit in anywhere in california. While san francisco has the widest variety, san diego has the largest concentration of spanish speakers. You have to realize that it's expensive to live in California. But the cheapest between those 3 areas is probably the Los Angeles area. North Hollywood is somewhat expensive but you don't have to live there to enjoy it.

I just moved to San Diego from LA county and I love it here a lot more. There's less wider selection of music but it does have a large EDM scene. The beaches are better and the weather is slightly cooler.

Just look for somewhere cheap and affordable. I'm not sure how rent compares to over there but the average price for a studio in LA county is around $500 a month. You should save a few grand if you're planning to move out here with no prospects. Finding any kind of work here isn't too hard but you'll be struggling if you're doing minimum wage.

right now im looking into working for somewhat of a "disaster relief" company that would travel all expenses paid and hopefully make bank/overtime. i really have nothing here and LA sounds gorgeous right now. the saving a few grand thing, well i need to find a quick way to make cash other than put just 40 hours a week in. i've heard a lot of mixed things about LA but baltimore has always had the best of everywhere thrown in the mix but everything is just so, dark. i dont know how else to put it. dark is fine but you can't cover it up with more darkness it just gets too thick. i need a little sunshine, a little less small town/small city for my next move

I'm moving back to Baltimore from two months in Portland. I'm coming back because I couldn't get a job. I like Baltimore because it is so rough and rugged, and it certainly grows on you, but I understand your desire to leave. That being said, you better come out here with a lot in your savings account, because it goes fast and the job market is not great. I imagine LA is more expensive than PDX, too...

That being said, the Pacific Northwest is abso-fucking-lutely gorgeous, and from what I've seen of Northern California, it's the same. I'm coming back to Baltimore to save up more money over the winter, then coming back out here next spring/summer.

Just wanted to chime in that I'm looking to move out west, as well. Though the Pacific Northwest is at the top of my "do want" list (I, too, fell in love with the magnificent scenery), I'll settle for just about anywhere south of Montana and west of the Pecos.

I swear by this site: http://www.coolworks.com/

A lot of these jobs are seasonal, but some aren't, and I feel they're a good way to get your foot in the door rather than showing up blind wherever and seeing who'll bite.

my wants would be La/north hollywood, san diego, picking trim in north cali. basically anywhere.
i gave nashville and austin consideration due to my love of the whole music thing, thats kind of where i want to build off something i just dont think i will find that here in baltimore again, it happened once but things have since dissolved.

If it was my choice, I'd pick out west.

Last edited:
True story: Moved my whole life up to 19(5 countries, 9 States). Was in the process of traveling North from a year in San Diego when my cat got out of the van in Big Sur and got hit/killed. I was so distraught I couldn't go on though the plan had been to keep going to Vancouver, then on to a communal farm in Nova Scotia. I fell in love with Northern CA and have never budged except to take month-long trips out of the country. Next summer I will have been here 40 years! I guess it was a fit.

I can't wait to make out to California. The few times I've been there on vacation, it felt like home when nowhere else has.

I just got back from Cali a couple days ago, spent 5 days around LA. It was cool to visit, but I don't know how anyone in their right mind would ever want to live there.

Driving to Vancouver with my dog and as much shit as I can fit in my '97 Jimmy 4x4 in about 6 weeks.
Never been out there, this should be interesting!