View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Wanting a professional "sitter"

tallman

Greenlighter
I am planning to try mushrooms for the first time - this will be my first psychedelic ever. I've read a lot about the importance of having experienced people around you that know what is going on and what to do in case of a bad trip. I would actually like to find a therapist who would be willing to sit with me. Do such professionals exist outside of the research labs, who will sit with me while I trip? If not, how can I connect with experienced people in my area? I am in Portland OR. Any ideas on how to do this safely would be appreciated. Many thanks.

PS I am bipolar.

Last edited:
Sitter aside, the main question you might want to ask yourself is, are you are prepared to deal with everything inside your mind being unleashed? Because mushrooms have the potential to bring this about.
I mention this since you indicated that you are bipolar. Depending on a lot of factors, psychedelics can at times be like setting off an explosion of pure raw energy in your mind. They are wonderful magical things, they are also very powerful.

As always the decision is yours, I would advise doing as much research as you possibly can so that you know what you are getting into. Finding a psychedelic therapist that you can trust, is going to be a whole other ballgame, due to all the legal questions involved, that is going to be somewhat difficult I suspect.

Thanks for the concerns. I've read a lot of books and testimonies of both good and bad trips and how to set it up for best results. My interest is therapeutic, not recreational. I'm determined to take the risk and go ahead, but I want to give myself the best chances of a good trip. It seems like the best way of doing that is to duplicate some of the setup that the researchers have done as best as I can, given the unavailability of another avenue. I plan to have experienced people present and to have any sitters well read up on what to do.

Just do it by yourself if you're worried. You don't need a sitter at all. Just remember that the drug cannot physically harm you in any way... the mind is a powerful thing.
A bad trip is basically just a panic attack; common symptoms of which are perceived difficulty breathing, a tight feeling in your chest and basically feeling like you're about to die. The key thing to remember - no matter how bad you feel - is: IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD: YOU ARE FINE.

Don't take the experience too seriously either... take it with a clear head and with the intention of just having a good time.

I've never found a sitter to be helpful, and in fact have found one to be a hindrance to the therapeutic nature and ability to let go and go deep into my thoughts.

I found a sitter to be really helpful during my first flights. Put an ease on my mind that if something was to go wrong, he has the tricks to get me out of a bad experince. It was LSD though, and everything went well.
After you feel comfortable with the psychedelic high, a sitter is not needed, but still can be handy on higher doses.

I've never found a sitter to be helpful, and in fact have found one to be a hindrance to the therapeutic nature and ability to let go and go deep into my thoughts.

I'd agree with you. Still, that might be the case for me and you, it's not necessarily the same for others... I know people who are uncomfortable enough spending time alone when they are sober, let alone when time slows down and your tripping balls.

I would say that a "professional" sitter is a bit overkill... All you really need is a trustworthy friend who can call and ambulance or something along those lines just in case something really goes wrong. Once you feel you're alright to be on your own you can ask him/her to move to another room or leave altogether, etc.

indeed, a sitter for me is not beneficial, unless you are very comfortable with that person, and thats rare.
better do it alone, youll be fine.

just the fact your concerned about your safety is enough to tell me you will be fine no matter how bad the experience can be. but it will not be all bad, dont worry.

My only response... If you feel you need to seek out a guide and even believe you can find one online like this you are not ready for psychedelics imo it takes a strong bond for a good trip that one can accomplish. While someone should have a good guide sometimes the best guide is within. Just be a bit wiser who you trust.

If you don't have the capacity to have faith in your own understanding you should wait to have faith in other people's understanding as that takes your own ability to understand.

If finally none of that is understood wait to trip

Exit : \/ha I understood that one

Last edited:
Beware of any professional therapist who blindfolds you while tripping and then asks you to "milk his cow".

You'd be hard pressed to find a reputable therapist who thinks its a good idea for someone with bipolar to take mushrooms. Their indemnity insurance would be astronomical.

A good sitter is any good friend who knows you, is grounded, let's you do your thing and is willing to hold your
hand in case it gets challenging !

This.

Really 'letting go' is an intimately personal experience.

This.

Try going to any holy place and letting go completely through your five senses in the environment.... There is a chanting form of Buddhism that this applies to as well.

Whether or not you get the right message is your understanding of intentions and faith within your strength. You might become enlightened or even afraid by what I say....

I only am just beginning to realize how important it is to consider what each word one says could affect them internally as well as externally among targeted audience and unintended audiences as well as what ideas they might conflict... All while keeping the idea of balance in the grand scheme of thing. I am only just beginning to understand the cocious mind and gaining respect for it's strength.

Enough about my experiences learning though. I share them only in hopes they help others on their path of understanding.

The tree of life... Quite a concept especially coupled with the flower of life.

This.

I tend to agree. However, in my experience, a trip sitter's presence is not universally extraneous, useless, or even baleful. I find the degree of utility or beneficence of the presence of a trip sitter is contingent on several variables; to wit: the drug used, the user's level of experience with the drug, the user's degree of anxiety or disquietude about using the drug, the experience of the trip sitter, the disposition of the trip sitter, the rapport between the drug user and the trip sitter, etc.

In the case of serotonergic psychedelics (e.g., DMT, LSD, 25I-NBOMe, mescaline, psilocybin/psilocin, DOM, 5-MeO-DMT), a trip sitter is, I think, entirely superfluous at least and very rarely necessitated at most. With this set of psychoactives, it seems solitude in nature—as opposed to being in the company of a sitter—is much more conducive to a positive and more profound experience, and considerably less likely to elicit a bad trip or interfere with a good trip.

Eating 'shrooms or dropping acid in isolation (preferably in nature, but obviously not somewhere replete with predatory animals) allows one to experience the drug's full potential, I think.

But what of dissociatives (such as potent NMDA antagonists—say, PCP, ketamine, TCP—or strong kappa-opioid agonists—say, salvinorin A) and deliriants (e.g., scopolamine, N-Methyl-3-piperidyl benzilate, hyoscyamine)?

I think these latter genera of hallucinations are best administered and experienced under the guidance of a familiar and expert trip sitter. Many things can go very wrong very quickly with the unsupervised use of dissociatives and deliriants. This is especially true, I find, with drugs that act concomitantly as a dissociative and a stimulant, as with PCP and several other arylcyclohexylamines. Whereas high doses of ketamine all but immobilize the user and produce a sort of quasi-catatonia, PCP and many of its cognates, like TCP, do the opposite. They make you ambulatory and want to rove about, setting oneself up for getting into all sorts of trouble and danger.

With a drug such as these simultaneous dissociative and psychostimulant psychotropics, like PCP, high doses absolutely requires a proficient trip sitter. Someone who can reason with the user and persuade them—sans force or aggressive tactics, but merely tactful, dulcet, and non-threatening language—to comport themselves in a safe and copacetic manner. Otherwis, they may wander into public, make a scene, and ultimately attract police attention (the police being the worst possible thing, as all they'd manage to do is exacerbate and upset the situation by handling it aggressively and causing the drug user to react with fear and violence).

Last edited:
WOW. Bit of a misunderstanding here. For me I see nothing holy/spiritual/profound about temporarily screwing around with my brain chemistry.
For me, "letting go" is simply crashing out and not thinking about anything at all - it's all about meditation and living for the present moment, totally free of any worries or concerns.
I see tripping as like a holiday for my mind, and I do it because it feels fucking amazing. I've tried near enough everything out there and nothing comes remotely close to the euphoria of a good psychedelic trip.

Anyway, I would tend to agree with Nom de Plume with regards to PCP et al... that's a totally different animal altogether. Dissociative anesthetics can be extremely euphoric but they really do put you at risk of bizarre behavior; even moreso than Valium or booze. With the powerful anesthetic effects also comes an increased likelihood of injury due to diminished pain sensitivity (compounded by the ataxia and the aforementioned bizarre behavior).
The one and only time I've ever truly fucked out on drugs (i.e. blacked out and got aggressive) was after IV propofol before surgery.
Let's put things into perspective: PCP was discontinued as a surgical anesthetic because it was notorious for causing such behavior. Propofol is supposed to be a safer, more modern and more predictable/less psychotomimetic alternative and yet this shit had me fighting the surgeons and trying to escape the operating room (from what I got told... I have no recollection of this incident whatsoever).
I hold a couple of pound for pound records in the weights room and I'm quite a skilled wrestler/grappler so - as much as I definitely want to try PCP, I'm aware that I'm really going to have to tread lightly and distance myself from people and situations that piss me off when I do.

WOW. Bit of a misunderstanding here. For me I see nothing holy/spiritual/profound about temporarily screwing around with my brain chemistry.
For me, "letting go" is simply crashing out and not thinking about anything at all - it's all about meditation and living for the present moment, totally free of any worries or concerns.
I see tripping as like a holiday for my mind, and I do it because it feels fucking amazing. I've tried near enough everything out there and nothing comes remotely close to the euphoria of a good psychedelic trip.

Just because you don't see anything profound doesn't mean it doesn't extist..... My whole point was that one with the ability to let go, ascertained by psychedelics or not, is very likely to lead to a strong experience akin to a trip based around the teachings. The idea is to experience the five same senses as those around us, but we all will react differently as we are all unique inside.

Pm me if you want.

Trip sitters can be nice, but like others have said the cause of a bad trip will be your own psychology and your set and setting.

Try doing half of a normal recreational dose if you find yourself afraid of having a bad trip. Youll get a good feeling for how the drug will affect you and youll be more confident for your "real" dose, and at half of a "breakthrough" dose the likelihood of having a bad trip is low.

Again, a trip sitter can offer protection from physical injuries, but the core of a bad trip is literally all in your head.

Oops. My mistake; I had presumed you were talking directly about drugs.
I would like to make a succinct comment on this topic however, seeing as a more opportune time in the future within which to state my opinion on the matter is likely far too improbable to forgo discussing this presently.

While you assert (and I concur) that there's "nothing holy/spiritual/profound“ about altering your mind or neurochemistry, I opine that a well-informed and experienced individual surely cannot overlook the unequaled applicability and unparalleled efficacy of mind-altering compounds for the potentiation of those activities which one can see something holy, spiritual, or profound.

For example, yoga and meditation obviously have the potential to be holy, spiritual, or profound in effect. On the other hand, smoking cannabis either has no such potential or is of significantly lesser potential than that of yoga or meditation. But, meditation + cannabis = a greatly augmented maximal potential of both. That is to say, the drug behaves as a tool. A tool on its own cannot build an edifice or machine, say. But a tool (drug) coupled with a technique (meditation) and user of both can produce a result greater than the technique or tool in isolation.

Terence McKenna, whom I consider a lodestar or cicerone in my education on the more philosophical or conjectural aspects of pharmacology and drugs, was the first person I am aware of to have espoused and promulgated such an idea.

The idea, just to recapitulate, being that religious practices like yoga, chanting, prayer, meditation, and so forth are complemented so surprisingly well by drugs that it would seem these practices and rituals were originally designed to be undertaken concurrently with drug use.

But, somehow, the drugs, or tools, were excised from their intended and original applications. The residue being a motley of tools and practices that are merely mediocre or good on their own, but, when combined, are superlative and nothing short of supernal.

Of course, it's just mere philosophical ratiocination and uncorroborated guesswork, but it is still highly intriguing, nonetheless.

I see tripping as like a holiday for my mind, and I do it because it feels fucking amazing.

Everyday's a holiday for my mind, if we are to put it that way. Because it feels amazing—and there's never a day I don't feel like feeling amazing—I can proudly say my mind has been on an uninterrupted holiday vacation for at least the past 8 years, now. I'm chronically AWOL, one may figuratively say.

I've tried near enough everything out there and comes remotely close to the euphoria of a good psychedelic trip.

If you include dissociatives amongst psychedelics, then I agree. But in all earnest, not many psychedelics can rival the unalloyed euphoria that is the upper plateaus of dissociative anaesthesia. Smoking an entire mint leaf joint liberally laced with A1-quality tenocyclidine beats an 8th ounce of dried shrooms any day of the year, in my opinion.

Anyway, I would tend to agree with Nom de Plume with regards to PCP et al... that's a totally different animal altogether. Dissociative anesthetics can be extremely euphoric but they really do put you at risk of bizarre behavior; even moreso than Valium or booze. With the powerful anesthetic effects also comes an increased likelihood of injury due to diminished pain sensitivity (compounded by the ataxia and the aforementioned bizarre behavior).
The one and only time I've ever truly fucked out on drugs (i.e. blacked out and got aggressive) was after IV propofol before surgery.
Let's put things into perspective: PCP was discontinued as a surgical anesthetic because it was notorious for causing such behavior. Propofol is supposed to be a safer, more modern and more predictable/less psychotomimetic alternative and yet this shit had me fighting the surgeons and trying to escape the operating room (from what I got told... I have no recollection of this incident whatsoever).
I hold a couple of pound for pound records in the weights room and I'm quite a skilled wrestler/grappler so - as much as I definitely want to try PCP, I'm aware that I'm really going to have to tread lightly and distance myself from people and situations that piss me off when I do.

I do PCP on a regular basis (I've administered the drug at least once per fortnight since I was 17 years old—four years ago). I'm being sincere when I say that the drug is not at all what popular culture has likely persuaded you to believe. You won't turn into the Incredible Hulk, eat your mom's gallbladder after brutally raping her gruesomely murdered and lifeless corpse, casually saunter through your neighborhood's streets while stark naked and perturbingly stoic, slice chunks of integument from your face and force feed it to your pet dog, stand in the path of an oncoming locomotive with the asinine conviction that you possess the musculature to stop it literally on its tracks, etc.

It's all unmitigated and mendacious propaganda; utter malarkey; unsubstantiated drivel.

The problems with PCP is with the dosage. People don't know what the fuck they're doing in their labs, and the result is that the streets get inundated with impure ordure. You just don't know if that amount of liquid you doused on that blunt you're smoking was 30% purity or 95% purity. The difference can mean a lot. If you think your sherm is shit quality, and you take 4 or 5 tokes, but it was actually some good chronic, then you've just fucked yourself for the next 24 hours or more. You've just bought yourself an irreversible safari into the lurid, frightful, ghastly hell that is an inadvertent phencyclidine overdose.

But, that's why one must either: a.) learn to synthesise their own illy and do it correctly, or b.) only insufflate the smallest quantity of powder or only take one and only one mildly shallow toke from the spliff. Always assume you're smoking or snorting primo, and adjust the dose as needed no earlier than every 45 minutes when smoking or 30 minutes when snorting.

I think the claim that you start fighting 10 men when you're on PCP is an urban myth AA. It's the same myth recycled for pretty much every illegal drug - in the 30s marijuana was the drug that gave you "reefer madness" and made you fight 10 men, then it was heroin, then it was LSD etc. I think the only reason the myth has lasted a little longer for PCP is that it's so rare no-one has ever taken it so they still believe it.

The most likely thing that will happen when you take PCP is the same as happens when you take K - you'll lay down and giggle.