Votes: 2 8.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 17 68.0%

• Total voters
Waking Life is one of those movies that few people can appreciate, because so many people make it their business to label anything that's even slightly high brow as "pretentious" or "pseudo-intellectual" or any number of other uncalled for adjectives. These dialogues are examples of the way that ordinary smart people philosophize. If they're not all blindingly magnificent, that's because ordinary people aren't either.

My friends and I both agreed that it took us back to thoughts with which we'd all played around at one time or another. I enjoyed it pretty thoroughly. I was torn between watching the animations (most of it was shot live action footage and then taken in to do computer work so it looked like that) and listening to what the people were saying. Spiffy flick!

This was a damn good movie. I was under the enfluence of LSA at the time of watching it, and i would have to say it was nothing short of intense. the ideas and such left an impression on me even after the trip and movie was over.

I thought this movie was amazing... one of my all time fav's easily...

I think the philosophy was used in a way that the viewer could ponder on it in a universal way....but also it was based in a way towards the story of the main character in the movie.
Each person he came across told him something more about life, psychology, society, people types, ect...

the very end of the movie says it all, without saying anything at all.

love it.

Maybe the philosophy wasn't so profound to some of you...but you have to realize the author was probably trying not to go to far off the deep end as to adhere to the common demoninator of mind in society. Many will not even go half as deep as that movie did.
I think the movie has a great balance of open-ended philosophy from many different perspectives. And I loved the 'holy moment' part...felt that many times, and I liked the description of how movies can capture 'holy moments' so that viewers can understand them....but it doesn't necessarily give them one, but it can teach them a view of one.

there is lots to say about this movie...and I think the philosophy in it is great....as well as the creative animation that gives the film a very interesting flow and visual appeal.

I watched this movie a couple of times. It goes over so many different ideas, it would start me off thinking on one line of thought, and then I'd come back and realise the movie had moved on completely to something else. This is one to own. Nice work

This is a great movie. I had the pleaure of watching it for the first time while peaking on LSD and reccomend this to anyone. It was a wonderful thought provoking experience. The visuals blew my mind and the dialog was just soooooo deep.
I was so happy with it that I went out and bought a copy of the DVD on EBAY (had rented originally).

I consider this a must have for hallucinogen users. Its good to put on for 'background noise' if you happen to be tripping at home. Right next to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Film: Waking Life(animated)

Has anyone seen this? Absolutely amazing film. Its about this kid who has a continuous dream he keeps thinking he's waking up from, but it only get further into the dream. He meets person after person, without much transition, just kinda "being" there. Everyone he talks to he has the deepest conversation you can imagine with. And the animation...wow...

Any comments about this film?

Another thumbs up, if more movies presented interestinf ideas that actuall t the audience think the world would be a better place, but if people keep pouring their money into movies like hellboy or any other hollywood shit, then we are all doomed.

Another thumbs up, if more movies presented interestinf ideas that actuall t the audience think the world would be a better place, but if people keep pouring their money into movies like hellboy or any other hollywood shit, then we are all doomed.

yeah but its movies like hellboy that finance these smaller projects for offshoots like fox searchlight pictures ( for "waking life") and focus features by universal studios in the case of "21 grams" and "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind". those movies will barely if rarely make thier money back so the blockbusters bankroll these movies

Didn't see the original thread for this, should have just searched and added my comment to that, my bad yo.

Anyway, the animation...omg...the animation.

Someone in the other thread said that this movie was like being on acid. Thats it exactly. I was just sitting staring at the TV when it went off, wishing I would keep tripping.

Movie Waking Life

I saw this movie called waking life this weekend, and man its all about the mind and its so damn trippy. did anyone see this? Lets talk about it.. I think the man in prison that was talking about cutting peoples eye lids off to force them to look and see is the same as forceing a closed mind person to eat 5 hits of good acid and strap them down. The movie was full of mind blowing ideas to make one think about.

Err, I think this bolongs in Drug Culture...... Mods?

I don't think it belongs in Drug Culture, as it is a film.. and the film itself has nothing to do directly with drugs. But then again, I'll let the mods here make that call.

That being said, there's already an existing thread about this movie.
Film: Waking Life (animated) (merged)

The number of visual art mediums/genres gone into this film is absolutely incredible. Not to mention the research that had to be done comparing some of the greatest philosphies of humanity into one film. I think it's pure genius, if a bit on the boring side. You definately have to be in the mood for this film. Don't expect a comedy or action, it's something to think about. Every 15 minute section of this movie could easily turn into a 2 hour lecture.

I consider myself well read, and I'm no stranger to existentialism, which I enjoy very much. This film, for me, took all of the intellect and thought out of it, and reduced it to high-school level musings. That didn't make it more digestable, just more contrived.

The animation was awesome at times, but for other scenes (I'm thinking primarily of the conversation with the girl on the stairs to the subway) it was really lacking. I found myself very angry at that.

read a book!, to quote handy, of "The Tick".

^^^ i can see your point; it's the same way that i'm getting semi-annoyed at all the people saying how awesome super size me is when there's already an amazing book (fast food nation by eric schlosser) out there, with so so so much more info in it.

but then i figure i can't blame the film itself (just the same as it's silly, imo, to point fingers at waking life), because at least it's opening the topic up to an audience that might otherwise remain unaware of it...plus neither film is actually bad, per se :)

Before anyone says anything: I'm fully aware of the irony in quoting a television show to admonish people to read more. ;)

I Think waking life can still be criticized beyond being dumbed-down. I find it clunky and slow, and the art is inconsistant at times.

Film: Waking Life

Acid trip brought to you via DVD. Excellent movie...will twist your mind around a bit.

Beautiful for the eyes and great dialogue for the ears and mind.

Check it out.

A few people are comparing Alex Garland's new novel "The Coma" to this. We'll see...