• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Vyvanse Tolerance Reset

Cassy2611

Bluelighter
Did dxm, doxycycline and other supplements reset my vyvanse tolerance in 4 days?

Background info: I'm a 32, female, 8 months ago went on vyvanse, tolerance went up fast from 30mg to 70mg within first few months. I'm now on 70mg split, 40mg 5am and 30mg 10-11am, always had issues with Stims not lasting all day, was on Ritalin for several years on and off in my 20s. Heavily abused adderral in my late teens early 20s. Fast forward, Ive now been on suboxone almost 7 years and off stims during that time. Last year, I was prescribed vyvanse for ADD and excessive daytime sleepiness, because these issues were majorly affecting my job and quality of life, having no energy, unable to feel happy and not being able to stay awake throughout the day or while driving which was no way to live. Therefore, I dont want to hear I should go off them just want advice. I also take 1 zyrtec a day for allergies and 40mg propranolol 2x a day and flecainide 150mg 2x a day because sometimes my heart can go to fast, also y I don't want to abuse this medication, suboxone 12mg but I usually try to only take 8mg, and rizatriptan for migraines as needed.

Accidental Experiment: I had a cold a week ago, wasn't trying to reset my vyvanse tolerance.
4 days no vyvanse Saturday-Tuesday
took dayquil w/dxm 2-3xs a day
walgreens multivitamin 1x a day
walgreens immunity boost vitamin 1x a day (vitamin c 90mg, vitamin D3 50mg, zinc 5mg, elderberry powder 50mg, euglena gracilis algea 375mg)
doxycycline 100mg for acne 1x a day suboxone 12-16mg/1-2 strips(sometimes I take more when I don't take vyvanse or if I'm feeling like crap, I usually only take 1 strip/8mg a day instead of the 12mg im prescribed)
took some magnesium glycinate 1-2×s during thr 4 days
walgreens stress vitamin 1-2xs during the 4 days (Ashwagandha 125mg, GABA 100mg and 200 mg L-theanine)

(I usually take magnesium every night, when I take vyvanse, for tolerance and muscle issues and L-theanine, makes me have less anxiety especially when I take vyvanse and supposedly can help with tolerance?)

After the 4 days, on Wednesday I took my dose and shit did I feel amazing like the beginning but since vyvanse doesn't usually last all day for me, like a dumb ass I still took my second dose so I wouldn't have a lapse while I was working bc it usually takes at least 2 hours to kick in, but then I couldnt sleep that night, still had a cough so took dayquil w/ dxm (probably made it worse) and took melatonin, usually take 5mg, ended up taking 20mg and it's been a long time since I couldn't sleep from a stim. Had to work next day ended up taking an extra 30mg on top of my 70mg which was stupid should've clocked out early and slept, then that night only couple hours of sleep, after melatonin, alcohol, o and took a 2mg abilify, not enough so I needed an extra again. Either way I screwed it all up and trying to reset, but I don't have 4 days.

Just tried taking 1 day off
Took 500mg vitamin c, 60mg dxm, and 100mg doxycycline after taking my vyvanse like normal that day.
Next day no vyvanse and repeated the 500mg vitamin c, 60mg dxm, and 100mg doxycycline.
Following day, today, first dose, 40mg vyvanse seemed a little better but went downhill.

Maybe my dose is too high now that ive taken these breaks in 2 weeks and taking my full dose is backfiring.

I also have a couple weeks of doxycycline, I had stopped taking it because I thought it was affecting my vyvanse originally because sometimes id fall asleep during the day when taking it with my vyvanse. I'll link the study on doxycycline that I don't quite understand but it sounds like it might repair some damage from amphetamines?

Have heard contradicting things around dxm, do u take it when you take a break from vyvanse or while on vyvanse? But it causes chest pain/discomfort with vyvanse.

I do have some atomoxetine, would that work instead of dxm to take for a few days?

I always thought you had to take at least a week off to reset amphetamines tolerance but somehow I did it in 4 days and wonder what factors contributed and if there's a way to do the same thing in 1 to 2 days because I don't have 4 days to sleep and not work. Just want to get back to normal everyday life and have the energy to enjoy my life again and not need an extra dose to get through the day. Ugh this post is so long, but I feel like I need to include all the info. Any Advice or explanation of how the science behind it works or what I mightve damaged in my brain that I need to fix? I know it has more to do with than just increasing dopamine, also have tried taking L-tyrosine and it gives me awful headaches. Thanks.

Last edited:
Did dxm, doxycycline and other supplements reset my vyvanse tolerance in 4 days?

Background info: I'm a 32, female, 8 months ago went on vyvanse, tolerance went up fast from 30mg to 70mg within first few months. I'm now on 70mg split, 40mg 5am and 30mg 10-11am, always had issues with Stims not lasting all day, was on Ritalin for several years on and off in my 20s. Heavily abused adderral in my late teens early 20s. Fast forward, Ive now been on suboxone almost 7 years and off stims during that time. Last year, I was prescribed vyvanse for ADD and excessive daytime sleepiness, because these issues were majorly affecting my job and quality of life, having no energy, unable to feel happy and not being able to stay awake throughout the day or while driving which was no way to live. Therefore, I dont want to hear I should go off them just want advice. I also take 1 zyrtec a day for allergies and 40mg propranolol 2x a day and flecainide 150mg 2x a day because sometimes my heart can go to fast, also y I don't want to abuse this medication, suboxone 12mg but I usually try to only take 8mg, and rizatriptan for migraines as needed.

Accidental Experiment: I had a cold a week ago, wasn't trying to reset my vyvanse tolerance.
4 days no vyvanse Saturday-Tuesday
took dayquil w/dxm 2-3xs a day
walgreens multivitamin 1x a day
walgreens immunity boost vitamin 1x a day (vitamin c 90mg, vitamin D3 50mg, zinc 5mg, elderberry powder 50mg, euglena gracilis algea 375mg)
doxycycline 100mg for acne 1x a day suboxone 12-16mg/1-2 strips(sometimes I take more when I don't take vyvanse or if I'm feeling like crap, I usually only take 1 strip/8mg a day instead of the 12mg im prescribed)
took some magnesium glycinate 1-2×s during thr 4 days
walgreens stress vitamin 1-2xs during the 4 days (Ashwagandha 125mg, GABA 100mg and 200 mg L-theanine)

(I usually take magnesium every night, when I take vyvanse, for tolerance and muscle issues and L-theanine, makes me have less anxiety especially when I take vyvanse and supposedly can help with tolerance?)

After the 4 days, on Wednesday I took my dose and shit did I feel amazing like the beginning but since vyvanse doesn't usually last all day for me, like a dumb ass I still took my second dose so I wouldn't have a lapse while I was working bc it usually takes at least 2 hours to kick in, but then I couldnt sleep that night, still had a cough so took dayquil w/ dxm (probably made it worse) and took melatonin, usually take 5mg, ended up taking 20mg and it's been a long time since I couldn't sleep from a stim. Had to work next day ended up taking an extra 30mg on top of my 70mg which was stupid should've clocked out early and slept, then that night only couple hours of sleep, after melatonin, alcohol, o and took a 2mg abilify, not enough so I needed an extra again. Either way I screwed it all up and trying to reset, but I don't have 4 days.

Just tried taking 1 day off
Took 500mg vitamin c, 60mg dxm, and 100mg doxycycline after taking my vyvanse like normal that day.
Next day no vyvanse and repeated the 500mg vitamin c, 60mg dxm, and 100mg doxycycline.
Following day, today, first dose, 40mg vyvanse seemed a little better but went downhill.

Maybe my dose is too high now that ive taken these breaks in 2 weeks and taking my full dose is backfiring.

I also have a couple weeks of doxycycline, I had stopped taking it because I thought it was affecting my vyvanse originally because sometimes id fall asleep during the day when taking it with my vyvanse. I'll link the study on doxycycline that I don't quite understand but it sounds like it might repair some damage from amphetamines?

Have heard contradicting things around dxm, do u take it when you take a break from vyvanse or while on vyvanse? But it causes chest pain/discomfort with vyvanse.

I do have some atomoxetine, would that work instead of dxm to take for a few days?

I always thought you had to take at least a week off to reset amphetamines tolerance but somehow I did it in 4 days and wonder what factors contributed and if there's a way to do the same thing in 1 to 2 days because I don't have 4 days to sleep and not work. Just want to get back to normal everyday life and have the energy to enjoy my life again and not need an extra dose to get through the day. Ugh this post is so long, but I feel like I need to include all the info. Any Advice or explanation of how the science behind it works or what I mightve damaged in my brain that I need to fix? I know it has more to do with than just increasing dopamine, also have tried taking L-tyrosine and it gives me awful headaches. Thanks.

Thas too much for me to read lol but from what I did read I’d say yeah you accidentally reset your tolerance 🤣 I’m on 20 mg vyvanse once a day, it takes just one day of my script being filled late for mine to reset & I actually appreciate it every once in a while lol 🖤

Last edited:
Imo, I would just only take your first dose if it is working too strongly for you until you get back into a rhythm. Sounds like taking that second dose later in the day is causing you insomnia.