View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Voices occuring after eating 6+ grams of shrooms

shpongle1987

Bluelighter
In my lifetime ive probably taken mushrooms about 40-50 times and every experience was powerful to say the least. A couple weeks ago I tripped on shrooms with my buddy and something very strange happned that has happend before on previous mushrooms trips that u had forgotten about until then. First off i have to say that i was with my buddy who happens to be a manaiac when it comes to eating mushrooms and he likes to eat about two 8ths at a time wich for me is almost unbearable but this time he happend to talk me into eating 6.5 grams wich i was very reluctant to do but ended up eating them all anyways. So getting to my point...during about the 3rd hour into tripping i started hearing very strange voices in my head telling me to do different things such as sit down, eat..drink talk breathe...it was pretty much talking me thru my basic life functions. Whats so strange about it is when you think of hearing a vocie in your head 99% of the time its your voice...pretty much just thinking but saying it out loud in your head...but the voice i hear on the mushrooms is very foreign and it almost gives off the feeling that its trying to control me some how. I dont know maybe im just paranoid but il have to say that every time ive tripped on more then 6 grams of shrooms i always hear these voices. Has anyone else ever heard anything like that while on a high dose shroom trip? (sorry for the spelling and punctuation im in a hurry haha)

Maybe you were connecting with the basic instincts in all humans, thats why it sounds foreign and tells you how to survive

A lot of people have a feeling that mushrooms are "animate" and trying to communicate with them. Put that together with your own brain, perhaps you like the idea of hearing voices, and that's what the brain and the mushrooms have come up with for you.

Albert Hoffman told Mckenna that he preferred LSD to mushrooms because he didn't like the feeling he got from mushrooms - that there was something alive in them.

A lot of people have a feeling that mushrooms are "animate" and trying to communicate with them. Put that together with your own brain, perhaps you like the idea of hearing voices, and that's what the brain and the mushrooms have come up with for you.

Albert Hoffman told Mckenna that he preferred LSD to mushrooms because he didn't like the feeling he got from mushrooms - that there was something alive in them.

I totally get that, shrooms do give me a different feeling inside. i'm always hearing a pair or group of voices arguing in my head but any hallucinogen amplifies that. I couldn't see myself simply obeying commands given to me by a voice i've never heard before though. things seem to manifest on their own without my acknowledgment when i am mulling over self-image or some issue in my life

Hearing voices on high doses of psilocybin is a well documented phenomenon. McKenna calls it the Logos. It IS the Entity of the mushroom. According to Mckenna it doesn't talk to you in riddles or puns or anything, it's pretty direct. He used to ask it questions, trying to get it to tell him things he couldn't possibly know himself.

I've never expierenced it, but I've also never ingested a quarter of psilocybes. There's some information on Erowid about tryptamines & entity contact/communication, psilocybin is no exception.

Yea voices or entities on various formats of DMT, of which psilocybin/psilocin is one, is a well documented effect. Exactly why/how can't be said, just that they are known to frequently cause it. Given that you took twice what is usually a very strong dose, your hearing them is almost to be expected.

I kinda know what you mean by those voices but I have been able to figure out they are just deep parts of my psyche coming out due to the high dose of psilocybin I have consumed. They usually come out out in visual hallucinations and auditory ones that are in the distance...at times I have talked, yelled, stared, etc. at them. These hallucinations only happen for me around 7g (a little bit) and 10.5g (alot more), I haven't surpassed this dose due to the price but I plan to eat a half soon.

In my experience I think going along with what the voices are saying is a good thing (diving deeper into your subconsciousness/universal mind IMO) to see where it leads and you may grow spiritually from it, I know I have. But remember before you listen to the voices to have a HAPPY thought/place to always return to if you get uncomfortable (bad trip territory), this has worked for me but use caution as it can get scary dangerous

It could be some healthy advice. I have never had those voices in particular, but I have had the same thing present itself in my CEVs. At one point I skipped a meal to potentiate my trip, despite already being rather underweight. During the trip I had intense closed eye visuals of little elf people working in some kind of bread factory, then at the end of the production line the final elf who picked up the bread held up a sign to my face, waving it about, saying "EAT!"

Since then I've been convinced that the kind of "advice" you receive during trips like that is usually for your own good.

this article from maps talks about the logos, the entity of the mushrooms

T. McKenna conducted a survey that was highly influential in the development of this study, in that its results suggested that the audible voice phenomenon was dosage-related. He has also stated that for some individuals, as much as 9.5 grams of dried mushrooms are required to elicit a voice, and also that other conditions and techniques may be necessary to hear a voice. Though there are a number of different types of voice experiences, the common thread running through them all is the imparting of information to the listener. This is the crucial importance of voices. In traditional usage, the mushroom voices give healing information. While there are many reports of experiences with psilocybin that do not include the phenomenon of voices, it should be noted that "the Indians recognize that it is not to everyone that they speak" (Munn, 1976). Perhaps they do not speak to one for a number of reasons: poor mental set, the lack of a technique to elicit a voice, poor environmental setting, old or improperly stored mushroom material weakening the psychoactive effects, insufficient dosage, psilocybin mushrooms versus synthetic psilocybin, poor absorption in the stomach, idiosyncratic body chemistry, mental experience, a person's sensory input style, or not enough experiences with psilocybin (use over time may deepen the experience, as with LSD in psychotherapy) (Grof, 1985, 1988).
that is from an article on http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v07n1/07112bea.html

I've taken up to 7g of mushrooms and heard all kinds of voices. These ranged from whispers I could not understand to voices commenting on mundane things and telling me to do simple mundane things. The most prevalent and persistent vocals I heard sounded like angels singing in the distance, not using real words, but very beautiful voices often combined with harmonic chiming sounds. I felt no paranoia even when the voices told me to do things. It felt more like it was just guiding me to do the basic things that I was having some trouble doing or remembering to do while tripping so hard.

I've had many trips with voices, sometimes communicating with each other or me. Also telepathic communication. With very few exceptions, voices I have heard in trips were friendly with a positive message or consisted of wordless angelic vocals usually combined with ambient music in the distance.

I did have one trip (substance unknown) where several evil sounding voices would speak out above many sinister whispers about evil that was growing inside me and one told me that I would create a black hole in the center of the Earth which would destroy it. The others would just laugh and talk about how I was going to commit suicide.

I've had a few other trips involving evil voices, often saying things that seemed bad at the time but really made no sense. There were a few other times where I was told to end my life, sometimes specifying methods. I never considered doing what those voices wanted.

Nearly all of my strong trips contain what seem like external voices, but most often it is inaudible whispering, laughter, or distant angelic singing.

Mushrooms, 2C-E, and 4-ho/aco tryptamines tend to produce the greatest variety of voices in my trips as far as I remember. DPT produced what seemed like voices speaking an alien language and a mix of male and female singing in the distance. Other substances seem to produce all or nearly all female singing when the singing is present.

I ate 12g's of PE shrooms not too long ago and heard voices and had entity contact (reminded me exactly of DMT). The logos thing sounds like bullshit to me, mushrooms having an entity? The psychedelic experience is so subjective I can't take things like that seriously. On high dose mushrooms I have entity contact with Dr's and nurses (they are from a different dimension however). I never see elves or anything like that even on DMT, it's always dr's and nurses, they tell me to breathe, that things will be okay and stuff like that.

When i've smoked salvia I would always get disconnected from my internal dialogue and think that it was a separate entity, I think something like that causes a person to think they are hearing voices. I've also had fucking weird experiences on iboga where I was in a forest trying to deliver a message given to me by an old lady hiding behind a tree. I wrote down the message and it made no sense afterwards lol. My point? it's not real and the imagination is a powerful thing.

I think we need to seperate the idea that the voices are all down to the mushrooms. If you have a vivid imagination and want to hear voices your brain will do it's best to assist you. It might just be your own brain rather than the mushrooms.

With such a dose I'm not terribly surprised but on the other hand I don't consider it a good sign. Of course reversible effects are reversible but generally you want to avoid splintering or fracturing your mind like that, schizo style.

I think we need to seperate the idea that the voices are all down to the mushrooms. If you have a vivid imagination and want to hear voices your brain will do it's best to assist you. It might just be your own brain rather than the mushrooms.

Not sure what point you are trying to make here. Are you saying you do not believe shrooms or DMT increase the likelihood that people might hear voices? That such people are just telling lies or "imagining things"? Tell me, what is the difference between a hallucinatory effect in the brain that is stimulated by a drug, and "just imagining" things? What if the drug is CAUSING one to "imagine things"? Pretty fine line there, is it not? No one is saying the voices are "real" I don't think. What is a "real" hallucinogenic perceptual experience vs. an "imaginary" hallucinogenic perceptual experience? They are both inner subjective perceptual experiences, right? Your point is extremely oblique and lacking meaning, IMO. There is no way anyone is ever going to track events inside a brain on shrooms at some subatomic level and determine "these voices are a result of an effect of the drug, but those voices are only 'imaginary' and have nothing to do with the drug." It's a "distinction without a difference" as they say.

Of course it's ALL "your own brain", right? Just with functioning modified by the drug. Of course, people with schizophrenia or psychosis hear voices with no added drugs. Of course shrooms by themselves sitting on the table are not going to create voices. But when added to a brain, the combination can be far more likely to result in one hearing voices than just the brain with no shrooms.

Your hyper-skepticism about almost everything that people say psychedelics do to them is going a little off the deep end IMO.

Last edited:
I can attest to also having heard "voices" which did not seem to be my own on heavy shroom dosages. I once ate an eighth to the dome at a friends house. Everyone else who ate the shrooms passed out strangely and I found myself with a case of psychedelic insomnia. I sat downstairs in the house and meditated and the sounds I was hearing throughout the night would warble and morph into voices. I could not only hear the sounds but see them as well. A car accelerating outside or a snapping noise somewhere in the house would, by the time it reached my psyche, have been warped into a Mexican gang member requesting I turn over all my money. This friend also lived on a bad side of town with lots of Mexican gangsters so this theme was prevalent in the auditory hallucinations. Was a very strange experience which subsided completely when I came down a handful of hours later. I much prefer visual hallucinations/morphing as they are much more interesting and less threatening in nature. I also much prefer trips where I am not the only one awake for them /: but what can you do?

Once on two hits of acid (smoking weed throughout) and five dried grams eaten over an hour and a half my internal voice changed. It was as if the speaker changed and it was a new voice but speaking my thoughts! This creeped me out. Then swooshing splat and other noises similar to these started to be said by many different voices all at once, while my own internal dialogue shifting in tone and voice rapidly. I asked for it to all stop and it did. From there my trip died down by a lot. Never took that much shrooms again but I would do it again.

Not sure what point you are trying to make here.

I'm saying that the mushrooms are only bringing half of the experience - you are bringing the other half. Mushrooms don't cause everyone who takes them to hear voices.

Your hyper-skepticism about almost everything that people say psychedelics do to them

By "hyper-skepticism" I guess you mean I won't agree with you about everything right?

I'm a believer in everything about psychedelics - just not the additional supernatural and religious stuff that they've been hijacked by.

I just read this whole thread, then went and commented on another and it actually reminded me of a time I had a very intense voice experience from just a single tab of acid and some weed.
In the post I mentioned that I took a tab at a party with a lot of drunk people being relatively inexperienced and yet thinking that I was far more experienced than I was, and the result was a rather terrifying trip.
Well my voices came after I was completely overwhelmed by the things people were saying and doing to me at the party, touching my head a lot, asking me all sorts of strange sexual questions. This was all relatively normal as everyone was just really drunk and on other drugs and it was quite a big, very uncontrolled party but I was tripping so hard in a dark way, that it really terrified me and made me think all sorts of whacky shit about the people at . As a result I decided I had to get the hell out of the house, so I got out and thought I was being followed by a house (which turned out to just be a sensor light that follows movement) I decided to go down some back path in the dark and the grass morphed into scorpions attacking my feet and a voice, which funnily enough I perceived to be the voice of acid and it was screaming at me, and mocking me at telling me the bad trip was all my fault for being such a smart ass and thinking I could trip anywhere and anytime and for not showing enough respect "Now do you see my power" and this kind of stuff. It was a lesson well learned, after much more reflection and responsible use of LSD.

Now that being said, after reflecting on that I came to the conclusion that it was all my own mind and that there is no voice of acid, that can communicate on behalf of the molecule, as amazing it is it's not that amazing. However even on small dosesof shrooms I have got the feeling of a living presence even on small doses. This happened roughly two weeks ago after I had shared a tea of about 50 with some mates and eaten roughly 5 dried shrooms, even though it was quite a mild trip, I still definitely had that feeling of a presence.