• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Vintage WINE laid down in SIXTEEN HUNDRED BC was 'psychotropic'

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Possibly accounting for concurrent technicolour dreamcoat fad

The people of ancient Canaan were far more bibulous than anyone has previously suspected. Boffins have dug up 3,700-year-old wine jugs from an ancient cellar in a large Canaanite city called Tel Kabri, which is not far from the vineyards of modern Israel.

The wine was flavoured with honey, mint, cinnamon bark, juniper berries and even mysterious "psychotropic resins", which might explain why people in the biblical era spent so much time spouting prophesies and wearing technicolor dreamcoats.

The wine cellar is the oldest ever found in the near east and contained 40 jars of potent, sweet wine. Some fifty litres were stored in the basement, which was found beneath an ancient palace.

Sadly, the biblical booze leaked out a long time ago and all that's left were traces of its ingredient and tell tale signs of tartaric and syringic acid, which are both key constituents of wine. The recipe is similar to "medicinal" wines enjoyed in Europe two millennia ago, although that familar old excuse for drinking is probably as old as civilisation itself.

"This is a hugely significant discovery. It's a wine cellar that, to our knowledge, is largely unmatched in age and size," said Eric Cline, chair of the Department of Classical and Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations of at The George Washington University.

The consistency of the recipe impressed the boffins, for the wine was no Lambrini. It is likely that this was a top-end tipple, intended for consumption by people at the very apex of society.

cont at
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/22/archeologists_dig_up_3700_year_old_psychedelic_plonk/

I read at least 5 other articles covering this, and found no mention of the mysterious "psychotropic resins" that this article includes.
Pure fabrication?

I think its already been known for all of time that human beings like to get high/intoxicated.

To bad it was all gone I'd be down to sip that ancient brew.

Interesting that even so long ago, people had learned to use basements as wine cellars, for cooler, more stable temperatures.

All wine is psychotropic.

Also, who says "boffins"?

^ Yes, but this article seems to imply that there was some drug in addition to alcohol. Maybe all the other reporters missed this crucial fact?

And "boffins" is a pretty good word, I think, though I have never said it.
I will start now. ;)

This is hardly news. In the great book "Uncorking the Past", Patrick McGovern describes the results of a chemical analysis performed on residues from pottery found in Turkmenistan, dated to 2000 BC. Evidence suggested that it was a grape wine containing traces of ephedra, cannabis, and opium. Now THAT'S a brew!