• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

video game: Mercenaries 2 world in flames (PS2, PS3, Xbox360, PC)

Larr_E

Bluelighter
Perhaps one of the greatest tribute paid by the games world to the skill, attention to detail and single-minded focus in Grand Theft Auto is exemplified by the small number of games that blatantly try to rip it off. So one has to applaud Pandemic's ambition in creating Mercenaries 2, a free-roaming, sandbox-style action-adventure game, which is pretty much a militarised take on the GTA blueprint. It proves to be a worthwhile effort: you play a mercenary caught in a coup in Venezuela, which splits into factions such as the new government, a sinister oil company and a guerrilla army. Seeking revenge on the new dictator (one of whose goons shot you in the backside), you run missions for the different factions, supported by a mechanic, general co-ordinator, and helicopter and jet pilots. Wisely, Mercenaries 2 doesn't try to emulate GTA IV's mega-detailed storyline. But it looks great, is nicely fettled, occasionally makes you grin and takes place against an impressively detailed backdrop. Nobody would say it breaks new ground, but it's absorbing enough to keep you occupied for weeks.

I bought mine this morning and I can't seem to put it down...

;)

oh yeah? i was considering grabbing it but is it a better rental or what? Im pretty GTAed out as of late & was very disappointed with crackdowns lack of blood & gore.

I haven't played Crackdown and i'm not a fan of GTA but I loved the first Mercenaries. So I gave this one a shot. I am stuck on one point that is pissing me off. I have to kill a bunch of people then use a laser. The problem is that I don't know how to. I've tried ever button...