• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

video game: Gears Of War (xbox360/win/mac)

rate this game!

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/1star.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

• Total voters

Liquid1nsanity

Bluelighter
GAMERZ!!!!!!
Gears of War aka Best game ever, will be releasing its sequel november 2008!!!!!! Thank God!!!!

<please note: this thread was originally about the GOW2 trailer, but the OP deleted it in a sulk. so i've brought it back from the dead, tidied it up, and it's now about the first Gears of War. :) -- felix>

gears of war is pretty to look at but it sucks to play. fuck the ducking and sneaking. blazing guns out is the only way.
of course unless its metal gear solid. that jus kicks tits.

Last edited by a moderator:
GOW was waay too easy. Me and a stoned mate completed in the time it took us to drink a slab of beer, eat four pizzas and smoke an eight each.

It did look spectacular though . . .

A massively overrated game imo. It looked incredible but did nothing new in terms of gameplay mechanics. A case of style over substance really.

^nice contribution to the discussion. 8)

i thought the solid feel of the duck and shoot mechanics were superb in GOW. the single player game is far superior to the halo series imo
the last guy was a real prick to beat.

BUT
the multiplayer does it a disservice with it's very few options.

L2R said:
i thought the solid feel of the duck and shoot mechanics were superb in GOW. the single player game is far superior to the halo series imo

GoW is solid, I agree, but far superior to the Halo games in single-player?!

It has nothing like the peerless weapon balance, tactical depth or emergent AI that the Halo games have. Gears of War is a pretty shallow, restrictive game in comparison to the endless combat options in Halo imo. Have you played all the Halo games, trying out all the different difficulty levels? Playing the first game on legendary is still in my top 3 videogame experiences of all time - it's yet to be bettered as far as FPSs go, to be honest, & that includes the 2 comparatively disappointing sequels.

What Gears of War excels at is big, flashy money-shot moments. It's the equivalent of a Michael Bay movie. Halo, for all its epic bombast, has a superbly engineered set of mechanics underpinning it & will be held in far higher regard in years to come.

Still, different strokes.....

We both agree that Mario Galaxy rules all though, yes? ;)

i played all three halo games all through but only on standard difficulty. i didn't like the cartooney physics enough to get that into them. the first ran really smoothly, i now recall.
your description reminds me of what i loved so much about the original doom 4 player. once you ace a game's control limits and are able to instinctually react there is no better gaming. i just never got to that stage with the halos.

perhaps it's the solid feel and simplicity of control that made gow so appealing for me, as i was able to grab it and master the controls very quickly. i'm still hardly a master at it's strategies but i do prefer the single player gow to halo. but multiplayer, i do enjoy halo immensely for it.

yeah, diff'rent strokes and all :)

and of course, mario galaxy owns them both by far. 241 stars mofos! i'm sad now cuz i've done everything in that one.

man....how could y'all dis on gears
why cuz u cant jump around and get the drop on sum1???? Epic introduced STRATEGY AND REALISM AND THE FEELING OF BEING IN A TRUE FIREFIGHT into a videogame.....no1 spamming half the map with spawn grenades, no1 waiting at spawn to kill you......just sneak and kill and be like ninja......how could you go wrong??? and BTW HOW CAN YOU COMPARE RFOM 2GEARZ??? not even the same type of game...who let the sony fanboy in the GEARS ROOM??

^dude, can you please work on your spelling and grammar. your writing is horrible to read.

I'm not a halo fan but I was impressed by the graphics and team based multiplayer of GOW. In halo one thing that really pisses me off is that in multiplayer the people are so good they have been playing since Halo 1 came out and they kill me immediately. In something like orange box i'm consistently on the top of the score boards. I just want to fair average at gears of war. Is the gears of war community extremely good. Is it even possible at the point to get good against the experts who play nowadays?

oh and sorry about my spelling and grammar i didnt know i was back in school with the red pen out....just joking

PinholeStar said:
GoW is solid, I agree, but far superior to the Halo games in single-player?!

It has nothing like the peerless weapon balance, tactical depth or emergent AI that the Halo games have. Gears of War is a pretty shallow, restrictive game in comparison to the endless combat options in Halo imo.

Agree with all of this.

Impacto Profundo said:
perhaps it's the solid feel and simplicity of control that made gow so appealing for me, as i was able to grab it and master the controls very quickly. i'm still hardly a master at it's strategies but i do prefer the single player gow to halo. but multiplayer, i do enjoy halo immensely for it.

The simplicity of the controls in GOW are one of the downsides I feel. Occasionally I will be trying to dodge by diving to the back or the side, but instead the character will put his back to a wall, and occasionally the opposite situation occurs. I really would have liked it if so many different functions hadn't been assigned to the one button.

Also, one more complaint about GOW is the clunkiness of it. I often find that the chainsaw melee attack is useless as a lot of the time it is very unresponsive, sometimes taking 3 or 4 attempts at pressing B to get it to work. And I've tried many different approaches such as tapping b, holding b, etc. It's just plain unresponsive to the point that close range combat is useless.

Complaints aside. GOW is a great game. Nowhere near Halo for quality. But it brings something unique so I feel that each stands up in their own right for different reasons. Definitely a big fan of taking cover and taking out enemies, very satisfying and requires some thought and patience.

Looking forward to GOW2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gears_of_war_2
Gameplay

The demo at the Game Developers Conference indicated that much of the core gameplay elements that were central to Gears of War (a third-person game that has a heavy emphasis on using protective cover rather than "run and gun" style game play) would be present in the sequel.

John DiMaggio, the voice actor of the game's main character, Marcus Fenix, confirmed to IGN that players would be able to fight the large Brumaks in Gears of War 2. He also revealed there will be a deeper story with new characters, new weapons, and new enemies. The game will also include the ability for a player to duel with an AI or human opponent when both use the chainsaw attachment of the Lancer rifle, as seen in the 2008 Game Developer's Conference promotional video, later confirmed in informal interviews with developers and a Game Informer preview. Epic released a gameplay video which revealed the player may now use "downed" enemies as shields. Bleszinski confirmed also that players who have been injured can crawl as a final desperate attempt at life. Players would tap the 'A' Button to crawl faster etc. The level of blood and gore will also be increased, for example, when the player is close to death, wherever he moves there will be trails of blood behind him etc. This is the same for enemies, and the opponents who've been used as a meat shield. There will also be more ways to kill an opponent, such as punching them while they are downed, using the sniper rifle as a sledgehammer, or using the torque bow as an axe.

The cover story in the May 2008 issue of Game Informer revealed several new gameplay features. Players can now play on individual co-op play settings. One player may, for instance, play on Casual while the teammate plays on Hardcore. A "communal combat system" will adapt to give a player at a lower difficulty an equivalently fair challenge as the player at higher difficulty. The player will be able to maintain multiple save files that work with the drop-in/drop-out co-op features. There will also be a fourth difficulty level that is a level below Casual; senior producer Rod Fergusson admitted that — for the first game — "We overshot on [the Casual] difficulty and a game that was a little harder than we intended." Some of the Xbox Live achievements can be completed through both play in single player and multiplayer mode, such as achieving 1,000 headshots. New enemy creatures are planned on being added, including one described by Cliff Bleszinski as one "that [makes] the Brumak look like a baby panda bear."

The collection of COG tags has been expanded to include the collection of story-based items such as personal letters and medical records, and a "war journal" will track which collectibles have been found and where missing ones can be located. The cut-scenes will also use the better facial rendering technology of the Epic engine, and will use more dramatic angles for the conversation, as well as using a video screen on Jack (the all-purpose robot used by Dom) to talk with their commanders "face-to-face."

New weapons have been announced as well as the return of weapons from the previous game. The accuracy, function, and power of several weapons has been altered, and all grenades can now be used as mines by placing them on walls or floors, and will detonate when approached by enemies. In addition, players can now be knocked over by the concussive force of a nearby detonating grenade. Cliff Bleszinski has also announced that there will be more vehicle missions in the campaign than before, such as the Centaur Tank which Cliff describes as a "tank with monster truck wheels."

Multiplayer

Gears of Wars 2 features an upgraded multiplayer mode that will allow up to ten users to simultaneously play. X360 magazine reported that Gears of War 2 will contain at least three online multiplayer modes, called "Guardian," "Wingman," and "Submission." "Guardian" is essentially a modified version of "Assassination" from the original Gears of War, but allows players to continue fighting after the leader has been killed, but losing the ability to respawn. "Wingman" splits all ten players into five teams of two, where both members of a team play as the same character. "Submission," formerly known as "Meat Flag," is a version of capture the flag in which players attempt to "down" an enemy controlled by the game's AI and move its body to their team's base to earn points. A Halo-like matchmaking system will be utilized for the online multiplayer. In a GameTrailers TV E3 special, it was confirmed that bots will be available in multiplayer, but this feature was not elaborated upon.

Cameras in the multiplayer modes have also been improved significantly. Rather than static views from different points on a map, the new Battle Cam allows players to pan around a map as the camera focuses on areas of intense fighting, and the Ghost Cam allows a player to roam freely around a map. A photo mode will also be featured, with each photo taken by a player rated on the amount of action in the shot.

Regarding multiplayer-specific achievements, certain achievements such as getting a defined number of kills with a weapon have been altered. For example, to get an achievement which requires 500 kills with a weapon or 500 headshots, only the first kill or headshot made by a player in a given multplayer match will count towards the achievement. Cliff Bleszinski mentioned that this change was to emphasize the objectives of a multiplayer mode.

Particularly excited about using enemies as a meat shield and the improved animations accompanying grenade damage. :D

Blah I could never get into it. GOW2 does have beautiful graphics from what I've seen though. I just hate how slow paced it seems. Action my friends, Action. Any of the Halo series stomps

Yep, not too interested about this. The original GoW had really boring multiplayer and honestly... I just fucking hate FPS on consoles. That's why I sold my 360 in the first place. Almost all the major titles are FPS and I have a PC that handles them with better controls, larger multiplayer, and better graphics.

GoW seems to attract wannabe armchair special forces guys or something. It's like they're playing make believe in their mind so they can ignore how shitty the game actually is ;) Like this post..

why cuz u cant jump around and get the drop on sum1???? Epic introduced STRATEGY AND REALISM AND THE FEELING OF BEING IN A TRUE FIREFIGHT into a videogame.....no1 spamming half the map with spawn grenades, no1 waiting at spawn to kill you......just sneak and kill and be like ninja......how could you go wrong???

Yeah, the feeling of being in a true firefight.. some years into the future.. fighting aliens.. who don't hide/try to avoid dying.. who pop out of hiding in certain patterns one after another shooting at nothing waiting for you to pop out and kill them all.. and if you die you just go back to a close respawn and start over.

I hate to break it to you kid but Rainbow Six did the first "realism" FPS like 12 years ago and it owned and has spawned every "realism" FPS since then.

You had to setup entry teams, assign members of teams, assign gear, setup entry plan with "hold points" and then execute your entire plan to take out some terrorists and rescue the hostages and if like 2 or 3 people on your team died (anyone on the entry teams) you lost the mission and had to start over from the beginning.

This is the first R6 designed by Red Storm Entertainment before they were bought out by Ubisoft who deleted the entire strategy element from the franchise and made it into a typical GoW type FPS based on modern weapons.

The original R6 team spent WEEKS shooting the same guns counter-terrorist teams use WITH the counter-terrorists helping them shape parts of the game. Let me know when another FPS gaming company does that. I don't mean modeling for 3D animations but doing it just to make sure the sounds, recoil, etc are all as good as they can get them.

GoW is to FPS as WoW is to MMORPG.

Last edited:
video game: gears of war

this thread was originally about the GOW2 trailer, but the OP deleted it in a sulk. so i've brought it back from the dead, tidied it up, and it's now about the first Gears of War. :)

could we have a poll please, lefty? ;)

i've just got a loan of this game from my brother. it looks pretty damn good so far!