• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

very worried (getting busted in Laos/Vietnam)

insanit_e

Bluelighter
Hey. My friend has just been caught with 3 pills (ecstasy or meth) and 3 grams of opium crossing the border between Laos and Vietnam. He's been arrested there. What sort of penalties do you think he'll be looking at?? I'm really worried about him
any help would be great. Thanks

That sounds awful.

I am hoping that someone from one of the Australia/Asia forums will be
able to give you a better answer than the one you'd get hear, since the
posters there are more likely to have experienced or know someone who
has experienced the same problem. It might be that anecdotal advice
will be just as helpful as legal advice, since many times justice in these
countries varies greatly and depends on extra-legal solutions.

Mods, please move back, if you deem appropriate. Thanks.

---> Australia Drug Discussion

Sorry, I don't know one hundred percent how long your friend will get, but expect it to be at least 10 years if it's Vietnam. Just recently one of their own citizens was caught with a small amount of Heroin and sentenced something like 20 years.
I'm sorry about your friend.

Get in touch with the relevant govt. department if your friend hasnt already!

No idea on length, way too many factors to consider

It was a border crossing by foot, and they were checking his bag for meat or something, and found them. Its only enough for personal use, and the place is a really tiny little town. It happened about 2 days ago and he hasn't been taken to the city yet. Could this mean anything?

Mate i know this doesnt seem right to say, but your friend needs to bribe those fuckers. Western societies see this as wrong, however its just the way it is over there. I hope your friend is 'street smart' and gets his way out of this one with an empty wallet rather than a severe prison term.

^^ yeah thats what im thinking. He's only just 18 so he probably doesnt know much about dealing with authorities like that, but his dad is taking a flight over there soon I think, and hopefully he'll try something like that...

Not only empty your wallet, but "come with me to the bank machine"- I've known people who've been caught in SE Asia and were told- "10,000 baht or jail" the police were more than happy to take them to get the rest if they didn't have all the cash. Better that than dealing with the legal system. Anyway I hope your friend is OK, but it's not looking good.

Fin_heaven said:
Mate i know this doesnt seem right to say, but your friend needs to bribe those fuckers. Western societies see this as wrong, however its just the way it is over there. I hope your friend is 'street smart' and gets his way out of this one with an empty wallet rather than a severe prison term.
Hell yeah, if there's even the slightest chance that they're delaying taking him to the city, it might be worth the chance. Having said that, the cops might be straight laced and just add an 'attempted bribery' charge to his case... depends on what's motivating the local chief. Having read what everyone else has written in reply, I'd have to agree with them - corruption isn't a big deal in those places... it's just part of the terrain, especially in the more remote areas.

If it was me, looking at ten years in a Loatian/Vietnamese slammer with the added risk of dying from dysentry... I'd be offering cash in hand. Fuck the risk of an added charge.

Anyway, what the hell was he doing with drugs on a Far Eastern border???

What a waste.

Do you know where he is being held? Is it still in a small place, and Vietnam right?

I've travelled in Laos alot, and also in Thailand and I know of people that have gotten out of situations with a bribe but its usually right upon the occurrence of the situation. In Thailand it is usually 10-30,000 baht for personal amount like what you have mentioned.

Id approach it by him talking to them, saying something like the shame that this would bring on his family and the shame he feels for embarrassing the country.

He needs to ask them if he can pay a fine for what he has done! That is the best way to say it.

If he is dealing with some low ranking local law they are very badly paid and he might have a chance. It is worth taking I would say, even perhaps to one of the guards rather than someone higher up. If he can get a feel for anyone that appears more approachable etc.

Lastly I would suggest that if required he do anything to stall getting moved. Once he is on his way to a big city, he is way more likley to get law that will want to make an example.

Most importantly are you able to comunicate with him and how?

tambourine-man said:
Anyway, what the hell was he doing with drugs on a Far Eastern border???

exactly, it makes me so frustrated that people still havent learned their lesson and people are going to continue getting caught because people dont listen.
this may sound wrong but he should have known what he was getting in to and he should have been fully prepared for the consequences, there is not much you can do except be relieved that he didnt get caught with more drugs therefor increasing the risk of the death penalty, start saving for a visit.

Definatly get him to ask if he can pay a 'fine'.

30,000 baht = AU$1000 or US$750

Even if its triple, I know i would rather pay it than spend one night in a SE Asian lockup.

the_ketaman said:
exactly, it makes me so frustrated that people still havent learned their lesson and people are going to continue getting caught because people dont listen...
Mmhmm. I can sorta understand if someone accidentally left a pill in their bag and unknowingly took it across a border... there's plenty of times I've done something similar (pulling out a bag of speed from my jeans pocket while sat at my mother's dinner table, for example). But even saying that, I can honestly say that I wouldn't even touch narcotics while I was in a country that has such strict laws and a disiplined attitude toward corporal/capital punishment.

tambourine-man said:
there's plenty of times I've done something similar (pulling out a bag of speed from my jeans pocket while sat at my mother's dinner table, for example).

IMHO there's a HUGE WORLD OF DIFFERENCE...for a start odds are you don't get searched everytime you walk into your mum's house...nor is she likely to hang you.

FFS people think...its not that hard...its like everytime you leave the house you check to make sure you have your wallet, phone and keys...if you're ever travelling, especially between countries, especially between countries who happily and actively practise the death penalty check to see if you've forgotten about a gram or 3 of smack in your pocket...and either have a great time right then and there or dump it in a toilet before you move across the border!

Ummmm... yeah, I agree (in case you didn't notice).

But I guess if we're looking for an explaination for getting caught like this, we might find that we're not always perfect about where we leave shit - especially if you're blasted.

As I said, I wouldn't even risk using in a country like that, never mind taking near a border.

His dad went over about... 2 days ago. They've gotten a laweyer that the aus. embassy over there suggested, and i think they're putting in a plea for clemency... a lesser punishment, like a fine or something. Still have to see how it goes down, but yeah. He's in a tiny cell, without even a bed, sleeping only on the ground. Hopefully thing will start looking up though.

Fuck :/.

So he didn't try and bribe his way out? Will be interesting to see how he goes anyway.