• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Vegan, ate spirulina powder, why did i throw up?

Mirrough

Greenlighter
I recently was amazed when i found out about this substance. Since every "animal" food basically makes me sick i thought i struck gold because this is an amazing source of protein and vitamin B12.

So i mixed a heeping teaspoon of it in juice and drank it, the taste was horrible, but i forced it down quickly.
I watched a movie and smoked some cannabis (maybe that's what kept it down so long) and went to sleep only to wake up hours later and throw up the late dinner i had.
Could it be that my body doesn't recognize something in spirulina? I'm actually scared of taking it again, even tho i think my body needs this. Any suggestions? Should i try taking a very small amount or any good recipe to use with?

Hi OP I believe that what you experienced is a side effect of Spirulina. Spirulina side effects are caused by the blue-green algae that was harvested from wild sources or poorly controlled environments. If this is the case, the Spirulina can contain bacteria from animal waste that can cause diarrhea or vomiting. Microcystins which is a type of toxin produced by algae, can accumulate in the liver, and cause liver damage or failure. I am wondering OP where did you purchase the Spirulina? You should be very careful with purchasing blue-green algae health supplements as these should only be purchased from reputable producers that farm the algae in clean water and test the product and water regularly for toxins.

There's a few things to consider.

Maya's suggestion is valid, but I doubt that you are dealing with a parasite, especially if your reaction was so immediate. Parasitic infection takes a while to develop, usually.

Although it's nutrient rich, spirulina and chorella are very hard on the digestion. Humans are not meant to be eating pond scum, but that's not to say that you can't do it. Taking it on an empty stomach or not mixed with anything else is a guarantee for many people that they'll either vomit or have diarrhea. Try taking it as a mixture or *with* food.

If taking it with food still makes you ill, then try reducing the dose. If that doesn't work, then your body probably can't process it. A lot of marketing has gone into spirulina as a miracle substance, and it is in many ways, but the businesses who sell it seldom mention that not everyone can process it.

Spirulina has a many potential uses that the UN food program is considering, but I don't think it's meant for everyone.

Eh, I think toxic liver damage would have the OP in the ER by now.

Since every "animal" food basically makes me sick

Metabolically, spirulina might as well be an animal food. In short: animal proteins hydrolyse very easily (mostly), whereas vegetable proteins hydrolyse not so easily (mostly). Spirulina contains a lot of protein that is digested very quickly. Vegetable proteins digest more quickly or slowly depending on their protein:fiber ratio; this is 1:1 for broccoli, 2:1 for nuts, 4:1 for soybeans, and 16:1 for spirulina.

If you've been vegan for a while, your body probably isn't used to a sudden influx of easily-digestible proteins. It can and will adjust, though unless you plan to eat green sand every day it might not be totally worth it. This is pretty normal for vegans who decide to stop being vegan, in the cases I've seen. It also happens to people who eat a lot of eggs at once and aren't used to doing that, since eggs digest really really fast.

Also: spirulina contains no bioavailable vitamin B12. Please take ordinary vitamin B12 supplements.

Eh, I think toxic liver damage would have the OP in the ER by now.

Actually the Liver is the one organ in the body that can become nearly 70% destroyed before you start feeling ill effects from it. It has something to do with it being the main organ that metabolizes proteins and creates the enzymes that restore function to the rest of the body. By the time your eyes turn yellow and you start feeling ill from liver damage it's already too late and you are likely on your way to the grave without a transplant.

Like anything ingested raw (like the cacao common these days) it could have been contaminated. If you are getting from a reputable source (read reviews and check out documentation of manufacturing), try a little bit of spirulina, and if you feel fine work the dose up (or not).

I've never liked spirulina and prefer to take such things in pill form.

Sorry for taking forever to answer back, been exhausted from work. I have used it less now, and drink it with my coffee. I'm not taking it every day tho. No throwing up after that one incident.
It was purchased from an eco-shop, it is labeled organic and is from China. So who knows really. I hope my liver is fine, any ways i can test this without going to a doc tho? Should i go to the doc?
I don't feel ill at all, digestion seems to be normal.

That's good to hear that everything worked out well for you. If I were you, I would still go to the doctor and get a check up just to be on the safer side.

Technically, spirulina isn't vegan. It's tiny, living, breathing organisms.

I just recently bought a cheap brand of spirulina on ebay from China called "NuSci", which was labeled as organic. it had a smell of bleach from the very beginning, which I was really grossed out by. I took about a tablespoon blended with dates, almonds, and water and immediately started to feel bloated and ill. I left half sitting in room temp. For a few hours and when I came back to drink it, it smelled horrible. the smell alone made me nauseous. I should have forced myself to throw up, but instead I threw out the rest and decided to sleep it off. I was feeling really bad in the middle of the night, like I was going to vomit. when I woke up, I still felt really bad and drank a lot of water and went for a walk. it has been about 16 hours or so since I ate the spirulina and I still feel horrible...

I usually get the "pure Hawaiian spirulina pacifica", which I love and take the same way. that brand never smelled like anything but good quality spirulina and I never had any symptoms after eating it except that I wanted more of it. I am pretty sure the spirulina was contaminated somehow. I hope to feel better soon, I just ate it yesterday. I am still only drinking water to get it out of my body quicker. beware the Chinese brands...

also, the Hawaiian brand has a slightly more blue color while the Chinese brand has a slightly more green color.

If I remember correctly, spirulina smells pretty much like the chicken manure that some people use as garden fertilizer... I can't remember exactly, though, it's been a few years since I tasted some.

Ever try chlorella? I don't find the taste that awful and it settles just fine in my stomach. That's what I use on occasion as a form of detox when I feel a bug coming on or I'm having gastro related issues.

Chlorella and spirulina both have vitamin B12 in them so I don't know where the member that mentioned it didn't got their information from. Is it cynocobalamin? Yes. Is it not exactly bioavailable? Sorta. That doesn't necessarily mean you won't get way more than your required amount.

You consumed too much of it, and drank it in liquid.

A lot of people put it into gel-caps and consume it that way. Or they get tablets of it either plain or with other supplements mixed in.

I looked up information about it and quite a number of people said how it made them sick or they felt like they were going to be sick after taking it.

If you are worried about your liver go see a doctor. You can ask for a simple blood test to have done for your liver.

Nothing from China is organic, even if the Chinese try to make it that way. Their entire country is polluted... water, soil, and air. Even if they don't use pesticides and chemical treatments directly, the product will still be contaminated. Depending on your locale, the label "organic" will get a pass because they grew it organically, but that label never accounts for the surrounding environment. The Chinese also have no concept of organic food. I'm talking about mainland China. Taiwan and Singapore are different.

Nothing from China is organic, even if the Chinese try to make it that way. Their entire country is polluted... water, soil, and air. Even if they don't use pesticides and chemical treatments directly, the product will still be contaminated. Depending on your locale, the label "organic" will get a pass because they grew it organically, but that label never accounts for the surrounding environment. The Chinese also have no concept of organic food. I'm talking about mainland China. Taiwan and Singapore are different.

So true. Their land and air is toxic. They also don't have stringent regulations regarding processing and ingredients as other parts of the world.I wouldn't consume anything from China...it's something I actively check for. I do the same for pet food. Even for cookware, dishes and storage (avoid plastic is possible), and utensils I check where it's manufactured as it can still contain heavy metals that can leach into foods and drinks (lead, cadmium, etc). Yes, the price is a little higher but it's worth the safety and piece of mind. Also, if you take care of the items they can last a long time so it's not you have to keep buying new stuff every few years.