• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Vaporising Alcohol

Putting any sort of alcohol in the bong is rather silly. THC and associated compounds dissolve in alcohol, so unless they were looking for something for filtering out THC........
26.gif

Only upside of this idea that I can see is that visits to the bathroom would be greatly reduced, one of the primary factors involved in the reason why I dont use alcohol as a social tool when out. I think it could have its place, but can you really imagine people at a bar/club sitting around with face masks on - also the real possibility of people really overdoing it because of the quick intoxication associated with the route of administration. Funny though.

We are talking this over in another thread, but I just wanted to put out all feelers - does anyone know if this thing is actually commercially available or if it is only marketed to bars at the moment? Also, I desperately need to get ahold of the inventor for an interview, and all my searches turn up scandalous articles about the dangers of alcohol vapours =D

--- G.

What about approaching the Bars where the devices are being used?Surely they would be able to refer you to someone. I think one place mentioned in one of the above links

As Powder_Sports pointed out, i would be rather worried about people starting to heavily overdose using this product. One of the things about alcohol that often stops people from heavily overdosing is that when you have too much you generally spew up what you have taken, and it is often quite difficult to take any more and successfully hold it down.

With the inhaler, it might be alot easier to reach this point of intoxication and then to continue on past it and achieve higher blood alcohol concertrations, causing serious problems.

phase_dancer said:
What about approaching the Bars where the devices are being used?Surely they would be able to refer you to someone. I think one place mentioned in one of the above links

lol, I'm a complete idiot, thanks =D

--- G.

Im interested in trying this but wont pay a machine to do it, any ideas of a D.I.Y vaporiser that would do the trick! I have big bottle of vodka and im into arts and crafts, So any ideas????

An essential oils vaporizer would work. Wrap a plastic bag around the device and collect the vapor.

Be careful. There's no safe means of regulating the strength or amount of vapor. Have someone handy who is straight if you're determined to give it ago and approach slowly.

You can also probably use a humidifier or breathing vaporisor for asthma sufferers. Again be very careful.

im interested about this machine but just found it on the net that a machine goes for about $3000 dont think ill be using it anytime soon..

NSW bans alcohol vapouriser

good to see these things will probably never arrive here legally...

Government bans inhaled alcohol
By Lillian Saleh
July 14, 2004

0,3600,361190,00.jpg

IT'S promoted as the "ultimate party toy" with claims it makes people drunk 10 times faster - without a hangover.

But the fad, which is a big hit in the UK, will be banned in NSW.

Gaming and Racing Minister Grant McBride will today make alcoholic vapour - known as AWOL or alcohol with out liquid - an "undesirable alcohol product' under the Liquor Act.

An AWOL machine turns a shot of alcohol into a vapour, which is then inhaled through the nose or mouth.

Mr McBride yesterday told The Daily Telegraph that the product was "gimmicky" and sent a dangerous message to young drinkers.

"AWOL was billed as the 'ultimate party toy' that could get users drunk 10 times faster - this sends an irresponsible message about alcohol consumption," Mr McBride said.

"There are also a range of health and safety concerns involved when you have people inhaling alcohol. Inhalation or snorting of alcohol is synonymous with drug use and that kind of practice should not be encouraged."

AWOL's British inventor Dominic Simler earlier this year canvassed the idea of importing the machine to Australia.

Alcoholic vapour is promoted on its website as a "dieters dream" because the vapourised alcohol contains no calories or carbohydrates. The site also promises drinkers no hangovers.

"These kind of fad products pose serious threats to the community," Mr McBride said.

AWOL's ban follows that of alcohol-based iceblocks in December 2000, alcoholic aerosol Zulu42 in 2001 and moo juice - an alcoholic-based milk drink - last year.

Mr McBride said the ban not only prohibits the UK-based manufacturers from importing the machine into NSW, but also extends to any other company attempting to import it.

"This move categorically bans alcoholic vapour from NSW," Mr McBride said.

The Daily Telegraph

source

There are some bars in the UK that do this regularly, customers reckon that the taste of high quality spirits etc is much more pleasing as a vapour.

But me and my mates taked about doing this ages ago. If anyone has had really bad asthma you get this thing called a nebuliser which turns an ampule of asthma medicine into a fog for your to inhale. We often talked about putting a shot of vodka into it and seeing what happens. Never did happen.

Oh and to create ultra dry ethanol you can use a combination of sodium metal and molecular sieves.

That's right, ban em on principle. That's sure to keep the practice at bay 8) Or more likely; raise an interested eyebrow and stimulate curiosity.

Successful social compliance via prohibiting a form of administration? Guess there's a first time for everything.

The question on the lips of alcohol lovers everywhere will likely be something like: What makes alcohol SO good through one of these devices... must be good seeing as they've been banned?

I guess we'll find out if it ever catches on, as reports will probably surface regarding homemade machines. But just imagine getting busted for an "alcohol bong". Now that sound's rather bizarre!

I'm not necessarily saying it's a good or safe practice - quite the contrary- but banning vaporizors will do nothing to stop any wave of interest. It may even stimulate curiosity. Think how many economically challenged young people might like to see their alcohol $$ go further.

It was probably the liquor licensing board that complained the loudest. Afterall we can't have the efficiency of such a process reducing alcohol sales now can we? That would simply be un-Australian :p

Oh and to create ultra dry ethanol you can use a combination of sodium metal and molecular sieves.

Or of course distill with Benzene. However benzene is carcinogenic and sodium metal is HIGHLY restricted. However, like most things, it wasn't once. A while ago while cleaning out an old storage shed, a jar of Na in paraffin was discovered buried in the dirt. We became kids again for an instant after deciding to chop off a piece ~ 2cm x 2cm x 1cm and throw it in a bucket of water.....ahh! the childhood memories came flooding back =D

Opps! Warning: this is a highly dangerous practice. We ensured a safe distance by using a long pole with the lump on the end, to safely put it in the bucket. Even so, pieces of sodium blew all over the lawn. It's definitely not something to encourage without proper supervision or instruction (& safety glasses)....but it's a very cool visual ;)

Last edited:
I really don't think that people will start making their own alcohol vaporisers just to see what it's like.

There's a big difference between sticking a hose into a coke bottle and making one of these things. People might be interested in trying it but the amount of effort required to make one means that I doubt the practice will really catch on if the vaporisers remain illegal.

I hope you're right satricion, but I'm not so sure. There would definitely be a few asthma vapourizors lying around which are no longer used. People often "grow out of" the disorder. If the delivery system is not passed on to another sufferer or thrown out, then it's probably in mum's cupboard somewhere. The modifications required aren't much more involved than making a bong.

Distillation of alcohol in Australia is illegal without a licence, but I think it's still legal to own a still up to 5L for the purposes of water purification or essential oil extraction. Larger ones aren't legal AFAIK.

BigTrancer :)

That's correct BT according to my local homebrew shop. So technically, although you can buy the ingredients, books and equipment from the same shop, you must only:

• Use the still only as BT stated: for essential oils or water distillation
  • Only brew your whiskey, whatever, in a container before filtering (WTF) It must not be distilled to improve flavour, increase Ethanol content etc.
  • Information contained in brewing manuals on freeze drying to remove excess water, must not be employed if alcohol concentration is to exceed ~ 21%

So while shops no doubt sell a lot of these units - up to a 5 liter capacity as BT mentioned - the home whiskey maker could by rights be prosecuted for such actions. No-wonder my ol' uncle and his mates keep a piece of the still at each of their homes, bringing them altogether only on the monthly brewing day =D

Still a potentially dangerous practice, but....

It looks as though the practice has already received some interest. Yesterday I was told of another method being employed.

A small ultrasonic transducer used for creating mist in water is available from novelty and gift shops. The alcohol is placed in a small empty bucket ( with lid) along with the transducer. A hose is passed through a hole in the lid and is used to inhale the vapour. Reports say it effects the user very quickly.

If you decide to try this, please ensure you drink adequate amounts of water in-between, and start off with LESS than a standard nip. Afterall, the amount of alcohol which will reach the brain via inhalation is far higher than that from drinking the same quantity.

UNDERSTAND the risks and approach cautiously, as homemade units will not be easily adjusted so as to deliver a measured amount of alcohol in a single breath.

I'm a little confused as to why you wouldn't receive the hangover in the morning...
Hangovers are generally caused by excessive dehydration and the toxifying effects of ethanol & the other ingredients in the drink, no?
Wouldn't pure ethanol still have a taxing effect on the body over the duration of a night out???

I like a bit of a "sip" myself after a hard day at the office ends.
But, I unfortunately suffer from intense Gastro-Intestinal difficulties, for those who are interested the problem is called GERD Gastro Esophagaes Reflux Disease, or something. I'll explain to you in summary what it is:-

Ok, all humans (or most, I'd like to think) are born with a little flap thingy in the Gastro-Intestinal tract, that frequently opens and closes, to allow acidic fluids to enter and be de-acidicized and sit comfortably in the gut.

Now the problem with GERD is this exactly... usually through too many nights on the turps, or even a bad diet (which strangely, I don't have) these "flaps" will deteriorate, allowing these highly acidic fluids to shoot back up into the throat area and cause an "un-easiness".

It's a horrible feeling... and can only be described as one of the worst pains I have experienced in my life (at times, it really is).

Now what I was wondering is... for people like myself that suffer from this "un-easiness" would vapourizing this alcohol result in a less overwhelming pain?? ( I am currently on Somac, which does not seem to be helping the situation one little bit.)

Yeah, I've been told to quit drinking altogether... but I just enjoy it too much, so please don't reply me with things like "Quit drinking booze". :)