• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Valium strange effects?

SomethingWitty123

Greenlighter
I used to have a problem with benzos in that I'd take them in gargantuan doses, not regularly though, but enough to build up a tolerance. I managed to give it up without suffering any horrendous withdrawals, although I sure felt uncomfortable. It's been about a month since then and I've gotten my hands on some valium now.
Now, please don't preach to me about the risks of using again, I know, I'm just looking for your advice on my problem. Before when I used valium I would be out like a light and sleep well into the next morning and wake up feeling fine. To be fair, I was dosing insanely, something like 40mg at a time. But this time I was more cautious and tried 15mg for sleep. I felt the effects a little but I sort of just had the other 5mg on impulse. It worked in relaxing me and getting me to sleep but I always wake up at around 7-8ish feeling really groggy and in between sleep and wakefulness. Then when I dozed off again, I'd slip into some very vivid nightmares which I'd wake up from then doze off again ad nauseum. At around 9am I can wake up and I feel pretty fine, and my anxiety is noticeably reduced, but this side effect didn't happen before. Is this a sign I may be inducing too much of a tolerance? This is proper pharmaceutical grade valium so it isn't because the product is dodgy. I also feel as if I'm starting to increase my dose without realising it. Maybe I'm kind of susceptible to benzo addiction? Anyway, advice on why this is happening would be helpful, cheers!

Valium has a huge half life 20-100 hours. When you take that much, not even half is out of your system and the effects will last for awhile, your just simply waking up, too early, and basically still in the midst of the high and thats why you can barely stay awake.

Also, I use to do lucid dreaming and OBE practices. And one technique was called 'wake-back to sleep' where you wake up early stay awake to the point of nearly nodding and proceeding to lucid from there because its much easier, your brain is basically still awake while your body is wanting sleep.

Look at it this way, you wake up from deep sleep, your brain becomes active again after all the resting and you fall asleep again shortly after, your brain is just still active. Try to sleep all the way through, until your body is naturally ready to wake up. If your intentially getting up that early

Last edited:
diazepam's effect's only last 8 hour's though. they don't last 20 - 100. Maybe approaching 12 at the most. drug effects don't correspond to half-life. flurazepam's (an excellent benzo sleeping pill) half life is well over 200 hours, but people aren't sleepy for nearly 10 days - which would build up upon consecutive dosing. The reason your are experiencing those effects is because you are simply falling back asleep into a REM state.

These are called hangover effects of the drugs. They warn about them all the time from z drug hypnotics. You know, about not taking such and such if you are not able to get into to bed and get a full however nights' amount of sleep.

You don't have to worry about us preaching to you on here, SomethingWitty123. We are not here to judge you, and we realize you are an adult and can make your own decisions, and from what you told us it does not sound to us like you are are trying to get high for the hell of it, but do be careful because old habits can be a bitch (I can know :)), and you are taking these orally right? not snorting them? because benzos like valium don't when you snort them, you know this right? they only work when you swallow them. So you'd be wasting a pill and ruining your nose... :/

diazepam's effect's only last 8 hour's though. they don't last 20 - 100. Maybe approaching 12 at the most. drug effects don't correspond to half-life. flurazepam's (an excellent benzo sleeping pill) half life is well over 200 hours, but people aren't sleepy for nearly 10 days - which would build up upon consecutive dosing. The reason your are experiencing those effects is because you are simply falling back asleep into a REM state.

These are called hangover effects of the drugs. They warn about them all the time from z drug hypnotics. You know, about not taking such and such if you are not able to get into to bed and get a full however nights' amount of sleep.

You don't have to worry about us preaching to you on here, SomethingWitty123. We are not here to judge you, and we realize you are an adult and can make your own decisions, and from what you told us it does not sound to us like you are are trying to get high for the hell of it, but do be careful because old habits can be a bitch (I can know :)), and you are taking these orally right? not snorting them? because benzos like valium don't when you snort them, you know this right? they only work when you swallow them. So you'd be wasting a pill and ruining your nose... :/
Yeah ive always felt valium and klonopin the next day, thats why ive always prefered a klonopin over xanax because the effects last way longer to me and yeah I wasnt trying to intend to make it seem like valium lasted as long as its half but they do last a while

Klonopin's effects can last up to 12 hours, yeah. Which is why you can take it bid, or every 12 hours. Or then they can last as little as four, which is why you can take is as little as every 4 hours.

It all depends. That's why valium can go from 2 - 40mg a day.
klonopin from 1mg - 20mg a day.
and xanax from 1 mg to 10mg a day.

another example of half-life not corresponding to drug effects is lamotrigine - sorry for it not being a benzo - but that drug NEEDS to be taken every 12 hours for seizure protection even though it's halve life is damn near like 31 hours.

Valium has a huge half life 20-100 hours. When you take that much, not even half is out of your system and the effects will last for awhile, your just simply waking up, too early, and basically still in the midst of the high and thats why you can barely stay awake.

Also, I use to do lucid dreaming and OBE practices. And one technique was called 'wake-back to sleep' where you wake up early stay awake to the point of nearly nodding and proceeding to lucid from there because its much easier, your brain is basically still awake while your body is wanting sleep.

Look at it this way, you wake up from deep sleep, your brain becomes active again after all the resting and you fall asleep again shortly after, your brain is just still active. Try to sleep all the way through, until your body is naturally ready to wake up. If your intentially getting up that early

Funny you should say that, because the dreams I got when I went back to sleep after waking up in the early morning were lucid. I was aware that it was a dream at least, but I found it hard to control the course of it. I thought lucid dreaming meant you could just do whatever your mind wanted in that dream, but I couldn't. For example, I wanted to fly in the dream but I ended up struggling to get off the ground in that dream...if that makes sense. What I'm trying to say is it doesn't seem like lucid dreaming means you can do whatever you want in that dream, I guess it means you become aware you're dreaming and can try to take control of it. It probably takes practice. Or I just have a lousy imagination!

That's often not the cast with lucid dreams; usually you are just aware you are dreaming: you do not have control over them or anything

Lucid dreaming.- I thought that was the whole idea, to be in control of your dreams.

For instance I can feel myself if lying flat on my back lifting upwards. Falling, which I'm afraid of, so correcting. Flying...

I can enjoy it so much I have to remind myself to relax my body or else I'd not get any sleep.

Mind you, before & during my opiate antagonist days I was an avid yogi.

The first time I took a benzo in five yrs I saw multi-coloured fireworks, now It just depends on my level of relaxation.

Rtp

To clarify OP, you're asking if the fact that you awakened during the night is a sign that your tolerance to Benzodiazepines has increased. It's possible. I definitely won't preach to you man, but I feel like it's only fair to make sure you're aware of something called the "kindling" effect in users of Sedative/Hypnotics like Benzodiazepines, Barbiturates, Alcohol and many others. The same phenomenon I feel from experience applies to more than just sedative/hypnotics, but that's elsewhere.

Kindling; when you develop a tolerance and dependence to stuff like Benzodiazepines and then withdraw back to your "baseline", it becomes much easier to restart your dependence and associated withdrawal in a much faster period of time and with significantly less use. If it took you say, 3 months of continuous use previously to produce a withdrawal syndrome, don't count on it taking that long the second time.

You're playing with fire though. I'm not preaching to you for "social" reasons, I'm just hoping you can avoid a shitty withdrawal if possible. I still use other drugs, but as a rule (I'm still an addict) I don't touch alcohol or Benzodiazepines, more accurately, a couple of times a year. I'm not joking when I say that at this point, my body can switch to dependence mode in a matter of a couple of days of drinking, to the point where I shake and need a drink to steady myself.

Funny you should say that, because the dreams I got when I went back to sleep after waking up in the early morning were lucid. I was aware that it was a dream at least, but I found it hard to control the course of it. I thought lucid dreaming meant you could just do whatever your mind wanted in that dream, but I couldn't. For example, I wanted to fly in the dream but I ended up struggling to get off the ground in that dream...if that makes sense. What I'm trying to say is it doesn't seem like lucid dreaming means you can do whatever you want in that dream, I guess it means you become aware you're dreaming and can try to take control of it. It probably takes practice. Or I just have a lousy imagination!
It takes a lot of practice, I still havent perfected it and ive been trying for years. I can have an OBE almost any night I wanted if I can get myself into sleep paralysis. I only have 1 time through deep meditation, it was crazy I couldn't differentiate it between a severly vivid and real life dream to "reality", until after I came back to my body and my body woke up. It was like waking up twice, it was confusing even though I knew I was just out of my body. Its kind of funny the first thing I did while out was run to my phone and try to text one of my bestfriends I had an OBE but I couldnt grab my phone lol, so I did when I went back to my phsyical body. It was awesome

Ive also become concious during many dreams and tried to fly, and always forget you have to vision it or use your mind, not literally try to fly by jumping off the ground or something like that lol ive made myself look ridiculous in dreams attempting to fly.

Last edited: