Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Valium for Oxy WDL?

Bubblegummer

Bluelighter
Hi folks, I'm about to embark on a 24 hour flight of which I'm a super nervous passenger. I'm prescribed Valium for flying which works really well for me, but I am not going to be taking my Oxy over the next few days and am nervous about the wdls I get when I stop taking them, and am wondering if the Valium will mask them enough for me to be comfortable over the next 3-5 days as I'm no stranger to taking up to 150mg of Valium throughout the 24 hour period of my long haul flight from Aus to France. I think I should be ok to take 1 or 2 of my 30mg Oxy's over the next few days aswell but I just want to know if the Valium will counter-act any wdls I may experience from stopping the Oxy? I've slowed my intake to about 1-2 over the last few days and had none this morning up until I could feel the lethargy and sweats coming on so I caved in and took one bitten in half for a quicker release and to cover the wdls a bit quicker.

Anyway, I'd love if someone could help me out with some reassurance!!

Cheers,

BG.

I'm prescribed Valium for flying which works really well for me

I'm no stranger to taking up to 150mg of Valium throughout the 24 hour period of my long haul flight from Aus to France.

Woaaaahhhh!!! 150mg of diazepam?!

You'd be pretty relaxed (if conscious) after that I'd imagine unless you have a high benzo tolerance.

I've never been scripted more than 100mg of diazepam at a time, and that was supposed to last a month:!

Anyway, I'm a little confused about your exact situation...

Are you planning to be off oxy completely before departing, and then take some valium for the flight? And then nothing during the trip? Are you going to France, or was that just an example of a previous situation?

How long will you be away?

Hi mate, thanks for replying!

I have Oxy for the trip, I'll be away 2 weeks but I just don't want to take any over the next few days as I don't want any complications with the Valium and Oxy. My tolerance for benzos is super high as I've taken them alot over the last 15 years for several different ailments. I usually sleep the whole flight which is my preferred situation as I am probably one of the most phobic passengers there is!! So yeah, I just don't want to be vomiting, sweating and generally feeling like shit for the next few days. I know they use Valium for alcohol withdrawals and opiates too I'm just unsure how effective it will be.

It'll help but you'll still be in relatively moderate wd to say the least depending on your tolerance/habit/etc

Thanks guys, but the withdrawals were minor but I had the runs good and proper, but most likely from the one and only shit meal I had on the plane from Sydney to Paris flying Malaysian airlines. They've since subsided and I feel normal again.

^ Gotta say when I have flown Malaysian Airlines I was pretty impressed with the food by airline standards. Also give them a big thumbs up on the basis of how much alcohol they provided me with free of charge, they never once tried to tell me I had too much or otherwise fucked me around when I asked for any of the many drinks I did on several flights.

^ I've never had any airline (which provided complimentary drinks) tell me I was drinking too much. I guess some of the heavy drinkers more than make up for the majority of light or non drinkers.

Things would be different if you were abusing the stewards/stewardesses and/or being a general douchebag I suppose.

I have had plenty of people tell me that they got refused drinks on flights after having like 6 or 7 in a relatively short space of time and not even really being drunk, even more who told me that while there wasn't really a limit they could be waiting a LONG time for their beer after the first handful. I guess it is hardly scientific but I have heard these reports enough to think they were probably the norm, maybe I am wrong.

I hit the piss seriously fucking hard on Malaysian Airlines on a couple different flights last year, both times with a reasonable dose of benzo's taken not long before take off. Despite not really drinking in this manner on any other flights I was pretty damn surprised how lax they seemed about the whole thing, I have been refused drinks in Australian bars when I was less intoxicated.

Ok folks,

It turned out that the Valium (only used 85mg for the whole way which I was very proud of considering the amounts I've taken previously!!!) did very well to mask any withdrawals that I usually feel when I stop taking the Oxy when I run out by not timing my amount to take me up to my next Dr visit well enough. I usually get really lethargic, and have a really "empty" feeling which I think is more anxiety and my mood usually drops so bad it's like I'm manic depressive!! Other side effects i usually feel are the feeling of restlessness in every muscle in my body and usually alot of hot and cold sweats that last about 12-36 hours but go away after even a small amount of Oxy or endone that i get off a friend when im in full wdls and only then as the friend uses their endone as prescribed for pain also and doesnt abuse the painkillers like i surely do. The only side effect I had which I think was due to the airline food (Malaysian that stank the whole cabin out) was watery stool for about 24 hours, but also after the first meal 2 hours after leaving Sydney I ate nothing else till a good 24 hours as the airline food just the smell of it was making me sick! So I think the diahreoa was a combination of both which cleared after some chocolate croissants and Imodium! So if anyone needs to know if Valium helps with Oxy withdrawals, I would say along with some Immodium taken about 12-24 hours after the last dose of Oxy, yes it does work very well indeed!!

Thanks for all your comments!

BG.

^ Good to hear it went ok.

The immodium might have been a big factor in you feeling ok - it contains loperamide, and opioid that doesn't usually cross the bb barrier, but still binds to those receptors in the gut, and can be really effective in reducing opioid withdrawal symptoms.

Yeah loperamide is a godsend during withdrawal for me. If I had to choose between it and a benzo, I'd choose the lope.

I'm glad to hear it wasn't to much of a nightmare for you. Withdrawing on a plane would be terrible even for me. I couldn't imagine enduring it whilst being terrified of flying.

DM... As an airline employee I can confirm that you are correct! Australian airlines are generally very strict on alcohol and for good reason. I don't think it should be allowed on planes or in airports at all. I am a tosser though dude. ;)

Anyway, some of the regional airlines have a limit of only two drinks. Most of the bigger airlines are 4-6. If you piss of the flights you will surely be cutoff early though. They are normally treated like such dirt by passengers that if you're nice and get into conversation with them, you will probably be able to drink as much as you like. Seat upgrades are awesome too!!

I have heard equally strict things about American Airlines, I don't wanna say exactly how much I drank on those flights (not that I recall exactly, but can ballpark lol) but suffice to say it was enough to get me thrown out of just about any club I am familiar with around here, and I was on fucking benzo's as well.

I dunno why you would disapprove of alcohol on planes or in airports? Really takes the stress out of flying, obviously the odd passenger will be problematic but for every problematic drunk you probably have ten people that are way calmer on the flight due to having access to their drink of choice. I wont say you are a tosser but I am sure glad you weren't serving me on my flight! :p

Haha if I was an FA DM, I'd put you up the front with a bottle of champagne. For sure.

Yeah, passengers can become very problematic on alcohol. When I was flying small planes before I went RAAF, I allowed a drunk passenger to sit in the right hand seat of the cockpit. I figured id be able to keep an eye on him. (have had drunks open doors midflight too) As we were on final approach to the community, he pushed the yoke down as hard as he could and nearly flew us into the ground. Scared the shit out of me and I nearly lost my job. Was a stupid move on my part!

I guess the main problem I have is worrying about how a passenger will fare clawing their way out of a burning wreckage after they've had half a dozen beers. Drunk passengers cause a lot of problems for ground staff and FAs too. They constantly delay flights which can cost a lot of money. The thing is, they sit in the airport bar for a couple of hours and then they get served even more alcohol on the plane. We've had to turn planes around midair because of drunk people throwing tantrums. My main problem is the safety aspect though. I'm really against alcohol personally too, which I guess doesn't help. I respect everyone else's rights to enjoy it though and certainly don't think any less of them!

Short version: Oxy IS a tosser after all. Hah

Oh, and before someone reports me. I am no longer a pilot for medical reasons, which is why I get to do lots of drugs.

Haha if I was an FA DM, I'd put you up the front with a bottle of champagne. For sure.

Yeah, passengers can become very problematic on alcohol. When I was flying small planes before I went RAAF, I allowed a drunk passenger to sit in the right hand seat of the cockpit. I figured id be able to keep an eye on him. (have had drunks open doors midflight too) As we were on final approach to the community, he pushed the yoke down as hard as he could and nearly flew us into the ground. Scared the shit out of me and I nearly lost my job. Was a stupid move on my part

Holy shit, that would have been a moment you'd want your diaz on hand.

What's a yoke?