• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Valium after alcohol taper

whatamigoingtodo

Greenlighter
Hi everyone. Hoping someone can speak from experience here.

I am currently tapering off alcohol, and my Dr. has given me a script for Valium. Since a recent unpleasant experience trying to taper with the valium, I will wait until I am stopped drinking to try it again. My Dr. has ordered me 5mg, 3 x daily, and I am wondering about the amount.

Does anyone have any experience using valium to detox, and if so, what amount were you taking and did it really help very much with things like blood pressure, heartrate, shakes, etc.?

I am wondering because all the valium detox information I have read varies in amounts given, for example, some say 10mg, 3x, some say 20 mg, 5x, so on..

It wouldn't be a good idea taking the Valium if you're still going to drink so you're right in waiting. When I quit, I used an RC benzo etizolam because the only thing my psych doctor would prescribe was Naltrexone. I'm going to move this to Sober Living and they can give you tips. Hang in there!

Thanks, T. Calderone. I know valium and etizolam are different, but did you find etizolam helped you with blood pressure and such? I have had many bad withdrawals and DT's, as well, and when I go without a drink for more than a couple hours, my BP goes sky high, as does heartrate, etc. I'm not worried about hallucinations, as I am an experienced hallucinator. I'm worried about vitals.

I've been detoxed off alcohol with Valium, but it was done in an inpatient hospital setting. At the very least, it will prevent your alcohol detox from turning into the complete nightmare it would otherwise be. Tables 3 & 4 at this link gives protocols on detoxing off alcohol using Librium, Ativan and Serax, and you can convert those dose equivalents to Valium here.

Thank you, aihfl! The links you provided are very helpful! Kind of odd that valium is not included in the table, but I can easily convert it. Thanks!