L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Using "the pill" to skip periods

ad lib

Ex-Bluelighter
I know using the birth control pill to skip a period for one month is not the most healthy thing, but does anyone have any experience in doing so?

I finished my pack for April and went straight into May because I had travel for work, an event, etc. Personal stuff. But now it seems as if my PMS symptoms (major water resenting/bloating, irritability, etc) are amplified.

Has anyone done this and experienced amplified PMS? Is this just a side effect of messing with my scheduled cycle?

Yeah I used to do it regularly, and amplified PMS was definitely a side-effect every time. It makes sense if you think about it really...you're still going to retain water because your body expects you to have your period, and then when you don't the water's gonna take much longer to leave your body. I mean it seems normal for us to still get all the usual PMS symptoms, and I suppose the emotional ones are also exaggerated because by going straight into a new month we're just messing up our hormones.

So yeah. I was going to say it's nothing to worry about but as you know skipping the placebo days isn't very healthy, at all ;) but I can't preach cuz I did it for years. Just consider alternative methods!

Thanks Pagey!

I figured the same thing- at first I thought it was all in my head, but I knew I couldn't be the only one who has done it/experienced "super PMS" haha. My food cravings are absolutely insane too- all I want to do is eat, sleep, and cry at inappropriate times lol. That was the first (and most likely last) time ill be doing that again.

Hahaha I know the feeling. Man I wouldn't want to know me during bad PMS, basically the same as you but add 'and murder people with my eyes if they dare disturb me' to the list =D but yeah I'm glad to hear you don't do it regularly, that's considerably smarter of you!

I do this alllll the time I've never had any of those effects thative noticed at least. Starting the pill basically eliminated every girly problem I'd ever had - mood swings, bloating, intense and heavy menstrual cycles, crying at hallmark commercials, etc. My doctor told me it was okay to do every now and then. But for some reason my pill makes my period nonexistant so I normally take a few days off between packs.

What kind of pill do you use? I think the ones that cycle the hormones are harder to skip your period on than ones that have a constant dose of hormones. I'm on a "mini-pill", or low dose pill. Loestrin 24 Fe. I think it's a fucking miracle pill but m sister hated it so it obviously varies.

I've honestly messed with my cycle probably way more than can be healthy...since every pill is the same I've never had an issue starting my inactive days a week late or early, or skipping them entirely for months. I guess I'm lucky I don't get any side effects.

^ I am taking ortho tri cyclin 28. Overall it has helped with acne & cramps- still get the PMS symptoms like water retention and irritability though. And it's A LOT of water retention. I'm usually 120lbs, but right now (after skipping my period) I'm at 126, and it's pure water retention. It's so uncomfortable and troubling. I'm hoping it dissipates after I get my period in about 1 1/2 week...

I have done this on occasion ... a few times. I think the most recent time was my birthday last October but, before that, I did it 2-3 times a year. I was on Alesse for a couple years and I've been in Tri-Cyclen Lo for about 3 or 4 years. I didn't notice PMS symptoms amplifying but that kind of thing is going to be different in everyone. I did notice that my period came a couple days earlier after it was skipped though. Like it is usually right on time but it was a couple days earlier.
But your amplified PMS symptoms are probably just a side result of that... I can't imagine it will last for too long though :)

I have done this too, and yep, I got PMS like symptoms and bloating also. They did go away faster than they normally do, though! I also had some light spotting, but it went away pretty fast as well. I wonder if this happens to those ladies who take that pill where you only have your period four times a year?

^ Wait what, there's a pill like that? I need to look into it...

^ I am taking ortho tri cyclin 28. Overall it has helped with acne & cramps- still get the PMS symptoms like water retention and irritability though. And it's A LOT of water retention. I'm usually 120lbs, but right now (after skipping my period) I'm at 126, and it's pure water retention. It's so uncomfortable and troubling. I'm hoping it dissipates after I get my period in about 1 1/2 week...

Yeah I get water retention quite badly as well - I always put on at least 2 or 3 kg the week before my period. I find it to be one of the worst symptoms because with the irritability & increased vulnerability etc., it just makes me feel fat on top of everything else which usually leads to sobbing breakdowns haha. I'm exaggerating but the idea's there. Just remember that 1. It always leaves quickly, 2. You know you can attribute it to something that's supposed to happen, and 3. No one but yourself notices :)

not that i'm a lady but my gf has done this many times without ill effect. There is a pill that will reduce your periods to 4 times a year (approximately) can't remember what it is though, saw the ad on tv (tele) for it. ^i guess that's the one.

my gf in general prefers to get her period every month just to know she's not pregnant.

levonorgestrel/ethinyl estradiol is what is used. In the US one brand is seasonale:

http://women.emedtv.com/m/seasonale/seasonale.html

Oh great thank you - gonna have to look into that.

my gf in general prefers to get her period every month just to know she's not pregnant.

Yeah I can understand that...it is nice not to get it though :| few years ago I stopped having it for about 2 years because I was anorexic, and I have to say I was rather gutted when it came back haha.

No kidding, I've thought of looking into that one where you get it less often, but I am happy to get confirmation, each month, that I'm not pregnant (even though we use pills + condoms). :)

To be fair though, the odds of getting pregnant if you never forget to take the pill are like 0.0000001% or something. Although I'm saying that but I always start freaking out if my period comes a bit late ;) but ti would be nice to be able to relax about it a little more and skip it for a few months at a time.

^i heard it was 94% effective when accounting for human error but I may be wrong. And if you never miss I'd assume it's more than that!

Also I kind of like the confirmation each month, but due to some health issues + the specific pill I'm on I rarely get my period so I take a lot of tests, haha. Me and my bf use the pill and he pulls out, but of course there's always that chance.

And to my knowledge, the pills that let you get your period 4x a year are just like skipping your inactive pills. I think this is way easier with a constant dose hormonen not one that cycles. Like with the constant dose, you can delay your period a week or three months, because you don't have to make it through the whole pack.

I don't know, I am so thankful these drugs exist. I got absolutely horrid periods my first few years and I don't think I could deal with that anymore. And Pagey, I was anorexic for years as well and the return of the period is a very emotional thing. I still feel like a failure at times despite knowing how unhealthy that thought process is :(

^i heard it was 94% effective when accounting for human error but I may be wrong. And if you never miss I'd assume it's more than that!
I'm definitely sure I've seen multiple sources that said it was over 99.9% effective if you never miss it! But of course you've still got that tiiiiiny chance...and we all know that's more than enough to stress out :D

And Pagey, I was anorexic for years as well and the return of the period is a very emotional thing. I still feel like a failure at times despite knowing how unhealthy that thought process is :(

Agreed. It felt so messed up being annoyed that it was back considering that was a sign I wasn't as unhealthy anymore, but hey... :\

My GF has been taking the pill constantly for 5 years ( our time together) and I have worried about if that was healthy or not. Is it? She basically shut down her factory the whole time we have been together. I worry about its condition if we decide to have a little spud.

Hey ladies.

I'm a guy, and I just want to throw my condolences out to all you women because you have to suffer from this shit.

Lol. =P

My GF has been taking the pill constantly for 5 years ( our time together) and I have worried about if that was healthy or not. Is it? She basically shut down her factory the whole time we have been together. I worry about its condition if we decide to have a little spud.

Can you expand on this... I don't really understand what you're saying...

Hey ladies.

I'm a guy, and I just want to throw my condolences out to all you women because you have to suffer from this shit.

Lol. =P

Thanks ... lol ... it sucks!!!

Wait, dyou mean she's been skipping her periods the past 5 years?! Because yes, in that case that's extremely unhealthy and she definitely needs to stop.

Hey ladies.

Lol. =P

Thank you, we appreciate it ;)