• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Using Teens as Undercover Informants

banana king 84

Bluelighter
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/controversial-use-of-young-people-going-undercover-in-war-on-drugs/
Young people going undercover in war on drugs
Lawyers, parents attack use of small-time drug offenders as confidential informants for law enforcement

Dec 04

Rachel Hoffman, 23, was caught by police with five ounces of marijuana and a few ecstasy and Valium pills. The authorities offered her a deal: they wouldn't charge her for a crime that could send her to jail, they said, if she helped law enforcement bring down some bigger dealers. With no undercover experience, she agreed to become a confidential informant. She was murdered in the course of a drug deal she did under law enforcement direction. Hoffman's story is part of a Lesley Stahl investigation into the controversial use of young, small-time drug dealers as untrained undercover informants in the war on drugs. It will be broadcast on 60 Minutes, Sunday, Dec. 6 at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

previewci473302640x360.jpg
Rachel Hoffman
Lance Block is a lawyer in Tallahassee, FL, where the Hoffman tragedy happened. He represents her family. "It's really important that the public have an understanding of what's going on, because it's perverted justice," he tells Stahl. "These kids are being recruited to do the most dangerous type of police work."
The use of young people caught for relatively minor offenses as confidential informants is going on across the country. Oftentimes, says Block, such offenders would not really be facing jail time. "These kids would be diverted into a drug court program. They'd be on probation for six months to a year," he says. Critics say one problem is kids are typically not told they can call a lawyer. Police are not required to read Miranda rights until they arrest or charge someone with a crime. But these offenders are often told not to talk to anyone, including their parents, about becoming informants.

Andrew Sadek of Fargo, North Dakota, was caught on a tape made by another confidential informant selling $80 worth of pot -- a drug now legal in four states and in the nation's capital. He didn't tell his parents he had agreed to become a confidential informant. He made some undercover deals for his handlers. Then he disappeared one night. He was found dead two months later in a river with a gunshot wound to the head -- no one has been charged in the death and no official ruling on it has been made. His parents believe his death is related to his work with the police.

"We'd have gotten him a lawyer and told him, 'No,'" says his mother, Tammy. John, his father, tells Stahl, "We've never heard of such a thing...using college students for snitches or whatever you want to call them, stool pigeons."

Agent Jason Weber is the chief of a four-county drug task force in Eastern North Dakota and Western Minnesota. He made the deal with Sadek, but couldn't discuss his case directly, as it is still an open investigation. He did address the use of young confidential informants like Andrew Sadek.

"You know, a drug dealer is a drug dealer whether you sell a big amount or a small amount, whether you do it once or if you do it 100 times," he says. "While it's still against the law, part of our duty as law enforcement is to get the drugs off the streets and to get the drug dealers off the streets...if we don't try something or if we don't do that, then we're truly losing the war on drugs," he tells Stahl.

© 2015 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved

Deplorable... Have some poor student doing your work. Uc drug work is without question the most dangerous work there is. These young people who get pulled in are usually such small time dopers, smack coke pills ext, or more often, hippie kids busted with pot.

The cops do all the bullshit good cop bad cop, saying how they will help you out or your going to jail for life or someshit unless you help them out by doing buys.

And it's always the kids that get busted for pot that the cops go to and ask can you get coke or pills _____insert hard drug here. Or people that do use stuff like dope, its like we know you use 20 a day, can you call and get an ounce? L.aoo...

What the fuck how is that subtle? You usually get an 8th then you come back asking questions and asking for harder drugs a nd more quantity. These kids don't know how to pull all the shit out their asses like the cops do, and that's why they oft give themselves away.

Go do your own work pigs...in their eyes though it's just another drug user who is expendable

-^- Agreed. Police are simply preying upon young peoples' naiveté.

The Rachel Hoffman case is one of the absolute worst ones that's come to light. Any lawyer would have advised her to take the charges, 5oz of marijuana is not that bad, and they had her trying to make a deal with serious criminals.

There was another story like this out of a school in Massachusetts a couple years ago, I think the student ended up overdosing because they avoided telling his parents that he was addicted to heroin and working as their informant...

Wow, I had never heard about the Rachel Hoffman case until now. I also went to school at Florida State University and I can attest to the fact that the Tallahassee Police Department is one of the worst in the state. The fact they wanted her to buy 1,500 ecstasy pills, 2 oz. of cocaine and a gun is insane.

At least some good came of it. The result was "Rachel's Law," passed in 2009 which requires law enforcement agencies to provide special training for officers who recruit confidential informants, instruct informants that reduced sentences may not be provided in exchange for their work, and permit informants to request a lawyer if they want one. Moral of the story, always lawyer up even if it's a lame ass PD.

That sucks. What's wrong with the fucken cops nowadays...? Like they aren't screwing up enough as it is.

never ever ever under any circumstances listen to the police. They cannot lower your charges once you have been mirandized. They cannot offer you any sort of deal. Only the DA can do that, and they general only do plea deals to speed up a bogged down court system (which is another creation of the war on drugs)

Cops wanted me to become a CI. I told them no, I had unused syringes on me, and they kept trying to get me to go to my source and do a controlled buy. Finally my lawyer showed up and made sure the cops understood that having unused syringes is not illegal, and that coercing a young addict into doing their work is deplorable, dangerous, and extremely underhanded at best. What really stuck in my mind was that they wasted my time lying to me about what they were going to do to me over the syringes if I didn't go along with their plan.

Moral of the story. Cops lie more than users and care very literal for the lives of addicts. Never trust one, never talk, and never give yourself away...your life is worth way more than that.

Most accurate statement ever, "a drug dealer is a drug dealer."

Whether you are a 16 year old kid selling a dime bag to a friend or a Mexican gangster smuggling kilos of heroin and killing people it's all the same.

It's all the same??? How exactly do you figure that? Yea apples and oranges are both fruits....buuut they are different.

Selling a dime of weed is def not the same as selling kilos of smack. They may both be CI drugs but one will get you a written citation and the other would ha e you in federal pound me in the ass prison.

At least some good came of it. The result was "Rachel's Law," passed in 2009 which requires law enforcement agencies to provide special training for officers who recruit confidential informants, instruct informants that reduced sentences may not be provided in exchange for their work, and permit informants to request a lawyer if they want one. Moral of the story, always lawyer up even if it's a lame ass PD.

That's not nearly enough imo. They should have completely banned the use of CIs, let the Police think about what they done wrong and how little work their fat piggie asses actually do.

Deplorable... Have some poor student doing your work. Uc drug work is without question the most dangerous work there is. These young people who get pulled in are usually such small time dopers, smack coke pills ext, or more often, hippie kids busted with pot.

The cops do all the bullshit bad cop worse cop, saying how they will help you out or your going to jail for life or someshit unless you help them out by doing buys.

And it's always the kids that get busted for pot that the cops go to and ask can you get coke or pills _____insert hard drug here. Or people that do use stuff like dope, its like we know you use 20 a day, can you call and get an ounce? L.aoo...

What the fuck how is that subtle? You usually get an 8th then you come back asking questions and asking for harder drugs a nd more quantity. These kids don't know how to pull all the shit out their asses like the cops do, and that's why they oft give themselves away.

Go do your own work pigs...in their eyes though it's just another drug user who is expendable

Fixed that for you.

Even though we are led to believe from a young age that cops are heroes...they truly are cowards. I got caught with rigs one time. They field tested and it came back negative, but they told me it was positive (cops are also liars as well as cowards). They told me that they could make it disappear if I did some work for them. I told them no. The rigs were unused so no residue would have been in them and there was no other drugs in my car. I told them I would rather have a lawyer present or some way of recording this conversation because I felt like I was getting caught up in some sort of dangerous trap. They ended up letting me go. Fortunately a little bit of street smarts kept me safe...but what of the sheltered student that hasn't been in the game very long. They lead them to believe that if they get that drug charge (generally a misdemeanor) that the rest of their life is going to be fucked up, or that they are going to do a stretch in county. Someone that has a lot to lose (like a student) may fall for the bait very easy. It is all just cowardly and lying through omission of facts. Cops should not be allowed to do that, and any interaction they have with the public should be recorded...that way if something like what happened to the people in this article happens...the cops can be held accountable, and their deceitful ways can be shown to the public.

There is also another side to the whole CI thing. There are people that get paid to do it. They have a financial incentive to set people up. Imagine if you were asked by a friend to get him a couple bags cos his guy was out...next thing you know you are booked for trafficking heroin. Fuck that!