• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Using suboxone for first time in years need advice and help

Zelda2016

Greenlighter
I have been taking roughly 60 mg of hydrocodone a day. Some days I take opanas or oxycodone it really just depends on what I can find. I found one 8mg suboxone strip and want to use it but I'm not sure on how much I should start off with. I used to be a gram a day heiron user but have been off that for two years now. I am not gonna lie I wouldn't mind feeling a slight buzz from the suboxone, just being honest but I also really just want to get off opiates all together. Any advice would be helpful, thank you!

Split it into 4 parts then one of the quarters in half again

day 1 2mg
day 2 2mg
day 3 2mg
day 4 1 mg
day 5 1mg

day 6 and 7 will be better if u had some krAtom
thats just my opinion

TDS> Sober Living

I think your thread will get more responses here, OP.

If you are trying to get off opiates altogether you will need to address the desire to feel high from the subs--it's a very natural and understandable desire but it's going to trip you up eventually so the sooner you deal with that the better. Start to put activities in your life that make you feel good, that get you excited or that keep you from being bored--whatever the high gives you is what you need to find elsewhere. Don't be fooled; at first it will feel different so give anything new activity to develop.

Good luck and congratulations on getting off heroin and onto subs. You've taken a huge step and now you just need to keep going.<3

It isn't going to be easy with just 8mg, but basically if it is in strip and not pill form that is all you can do. The above advice I mean. I'd suggest finding the easiest way without just replacing one thing for another, long term I mean. And the short-mid term can easily turn into the long term, as we all know. Do what you can. Be kind and gentle with yourself.

To get a similar BOA to a pill taken intranasally try brushing your teeth and then washing your mouth out for a minute to two minute with an ethanol based mouthwash like Listerine. The Suboxone strip will melt like butter on a hot pan the second it hits the mucus membrane under your tongue.

You can also go to the store and get some Tagamet (use brand name, as you don't need the quantity generics are off, though they are cheaper pill for pill it isn't necessary even a difference in this case) to potentiate the buprenophine, as you will only have 8mg to work with just get a small box and thankfully you won't have to worry about long term Tagamet use like growing man boobs (that is with poor diet and long term high dose use, so for a week you'll be safe). To potentiate your dose of the above taper plan take 400-600mg of Tagamet 30-0min before you dose your strip.

Low doses of buprenorphine can go a long way. After a few days on the suboxone you may be surprised just how much of an effect can be produced by taking a quarter mg. If you have a strip you easily could make the second half last 8 days at a dose of 0.5 mg. That combined with a few days on immodium could help let you down nice and smooth.

I like to take something that dries out my mouth half an hour before taking the Suboxone. Things like anti histamines, clonadine or cannabis. I find this can increase the BA to about 35-40 percent similar to some of the new bupe formulations like belbuca. With a dry mouth you can potentially keep your dose under your tongue without swallowing for up to 30 minutes. I also brush my teeth before I dose. I have found this works time after time. If I am in WD's and my mouth is watering I have swallowed my dose after 5 minutes causing a drastic reduction in the effects

Last edited:
True, just don't use too much loperamide either. Like less than 100mg please.

Zelda -

I agree with TPD. Loperamide for withdrawals is, in most cases, not a great idea. Especially when there are things like Kratom around - I know Kratom has its own issues with dependence, but I would pick that over 50 2mg. Imodium pills. At least Kratom grows on a tree...

I also agree with PrescottDave - I think that, based on the amount of hydros you were taking, .5 of the sub should be enough. I would start there and take another .5 if you don't feel decent within 90 minutes. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir when I say this, but I'm going to anyway - there is no way out of a 60 mg hydro habit without at least a bit of suffering. You will feel the effects of the withdrawal eventually, so keeping yourself in the "feeling decent" category will be more productive than if you are trying to eliminate all withdrawal symptoms. At least that has been my experience.

Best of luck, Zelda! Let us know how it goes.

- VE