• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Using methamphetime to withdraw off heroin

Dtaylor09

Greenlighter
currently withdrawing off of heroin and starting to get really sick. I'm curious to know if using methamphetime while withdrawing helped. Did it take the symptoms away? Not wanting to feel the high of this. Really just don't want to be sick. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you

In the first couple days it will almost certainly make withdrawals worse. Once you are a week in it might help you get up and motivated and will help a little bit.. but I would just not. Can you get any benzos? Those would help a lot more. Just dont take them for too long.

I'm going to move this to sober living, I think you'll get better responses there.

Honestly meth for heroin withdrawal is a horrible idea, just trading one devil for another.

I'm going to move this to sober living, I think you'll get better responses there.

Honestly meth for heroin withdrawal is a horrible idea, just trading one devil for another.

I totally agree, i find this the worse idea ever. Your just switching onto another drug that'll create a load more problems. You should try find a substitute opioid, preferably a weaker opioid such as methadone to wean off withdrawal symptoms.

IME you can use it to blast through opiate WD and not even feel it. But then you'll eventually have to face the "comedown", which many opiate addicts are huge pussies about ;)

meth for heroin withdrawal is a horrible idea, just trading one devil for another.

^ this.

This topic comes up repeatedly at BL, and always ends with the same answers. And it's always meth too, as if there's no other stimulant out there that might have a bit less addictive potential :\

Worked nicely for me, but you're going to likely hate the feeling, insomnia, etc.

Do you enjoy using meth a lot? If you don't, it's likely not going to help.

Meth can cause just as many problems as heroin can, a very different type of problems, but equally serious ones. And you'd be more vulnerable to meth addiction since you'd be going to it to attempt to relieve withdrawal symptoms from another drug. I doubt that it would even do anything to reduce withdrawal symptoms as it has no pharmacological similarities to heroin at all. Heroin withdrawal is caused by the body not producing enough natural opiods and as far as no methamphetamine has no effects on this system. So, what would more than likely happen is simply that you would experience the effects of the meth while still being sick from the heroin withdrawal not a reduction in the severity of the withdrawal. Your best bet would be to visit a methadone clinic or look into suboxone to taper off opiates rather than experimenting with the meth.

currently withdrawing off of heroin and starting to get really sick. I'm curious to know if using methamphetime while withdrawing helped. Did it take the symptoms away? Not wanting to feel the high of this. Really just don't want to be sick. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you
Negative. I would seriously not do that friend.

Man I'm sending prayers to you right now buddy, I've got close dear friends going through this.

Last edited:
I've known more than one person who used some amount of methamp to help them through withdrawal. I've found it helpful myself, but I can't tolerate anything but low doses. I also would take sleeping pills to counter the insomnia, although once I only had melatonin, cannabis and a little booze and sleep while kicking was fine.

The right dose of methamp would take away 90% of the symptoms of acute withdrawal - again at the right (low) dose. Sleeping wasn't super easy, but considering how active I was while under the influence of the speed I was pretty exhausted by sleepy time (and cannabis/etc helped me sleep). Too much methamp definitely is uncomfortable during detox, and I don't want to think about not sleeping for the entire acute withdrawal process (or how horrible that is for one's health).

I've a lot of mixed feelings about using methamp to help detox. If someone has to be productive/work and doesn't have any other options, wouldn't necessarily discourage someone. It is an effective enough way to remain productive and more or less alert during the acute withdrawal stage, but it doesn't necessarily set anyone up for success after that.

For those who enjoy it, it is probably not the best idea. And in any case, I can guarantee you there are better options out there than methamp. It's a last ditch effort, just above or around high dose loperamide use in terms of potential for harm.

Someone should only consider using methamp if they (a) have no other options of comfort meds and (b) have stuff they can use (not alcohol pls) to avoid insomnia. Not sleeping during the kick is a really unskillful choice, requiring more time for the body to heal post-detox.

And that doesn't consider the possibility one might like it so much they end up with a new habit (note that never happened to me or anyone outside one person I know who's tried it, so YMMV).

If you know anybody with some high powered cannabis, that could help you a little bit, but if they're gonna expose you to H or Meth I would just avoid it.